Debate Mansion

illiterate unqualified to participate in

aimo82 thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Suppose that someone suggested taking away the right to vote from the illiterate on the grounds that they are unqualified to participate in political decision making. Would you agree? Why or why not?

So guys what u think about this topic,

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: aimo82

Suppose that someone suggested taking away the right to vote from the illiterate on the grounds that they are unqualified to participate in political decision making. Would you agree? Why or why not?

So guys what u think about this topic,

Its a fundamental right in democracy you cant take it away for any reason...making simple choices in life is not all subject to education...

mermaid_QT thumbnail
my thoughts on this subject are politically very incorrect.. so i will just smile 😊
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Its a fundamental right in democracy you cant take it away for any reason...making simple choices in life is not all subject to education...

On one hand yes what you have said makes sense, but IMO - political decision making is not a simple choice to make. Matter of fact, one cannot ensure educated folks also to take the right decision here, then question is who should logically be allowed to vote? 😕  <<<<<<Rewind - let people avail fundamental rights to vote, irrespective of education.😊

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
Originally posted by: raj5000

On one hand yes what you have said makes sense, but IMO - political decision making is not a simple choice to make. Matter of fact, one cannot ensure educated folks also to take the right decision here, then question is who should logically be allowed to vote? 😕  <<<<<<Rewind - let people avail fundamental rights to vote, irrespective of education.😊

this is like saying "since a blind man was hired to be the vigilant door keeper, let us hire a deaf man too. 😉"
2 negatives don;t always make one positive 😳..
i know i am very PI on this 😆😆😆.. but i am sure i always will be.
noorejahaan thumbnail
India is a democratic country..to take away someone's right to vote for any reason other than mental incapability, etc. would be completely undemocratic/absurd! Democracy = rule of the people..as in ALL the people, not just the ones whose decisions you would approve of! 😳 And considering the illiteracy rate in India, taking away the right to vote from the illiterate would be a devastating move for the political system of the country! Even though I -personally- believe only allowing the literate to vote would probably result in a 'better' or more 'effective' government, the truth is that doing so would be against one of the fundamental rules of a democratic nation!Edited by Noor_64 - 16 years ago
hmmmmm...and who is gonna take this right away from the illiterate people.....the very same politicians who use them as pawns over and over again 🤢

Tasha1985 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i don't think it is totally wrong if illiterate people are allowed to vote ... as long as the people they have to choose from are not illiterate ... i'm sorry if that seems rude or politically incorrect ... i believe in a democratic society but honestly the people running a country need to have a basic education ... i'm not suggesting that only people with phds in political science become politician ... but i strongly agree with the suggestion that priya dutt made on kwk recently about setting a minimum educational requirement for parliament ...

please don't think that i'm trying to point fingers at any specific country ... i feel that every country should adopt this ... i mean even in the so called "superpower countries" we see politicians get control of ministries that they might not know anything about but the candidate has a good image and thus will look nice in a cabinet ...

so what it comes down to exactly what is portrayed in an old rajesh khanna shabana azmi movie(sorry i really can't remember the name right now) ... in which rajesh khanna is a simple, illiterate villager who is made into a politician by party leaders so they can make him dance to his tunes but their plan backfires and all the power goes to his head ... the danger lies in having illiterate politicians not illiterate voters .... the illiterate voters most often vote for the candidate that is most relatable to them and hence illiterate politicians prevail ... making it mandatory for an individual running in a political race to have a certain level of education would be the better option than taking away the right of illiterate individuals to vote ... doing this could lead to elitist politics
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: raj5000

You said it yourself - if educated cant take decision with their education the instincts of an uneducated person are equally worthy.. so yes they should be allowed to vote as long as someone doenst pull them by their thumb to get the impression...😆

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I agreed with Navy. 😊

The persons standing for parliamentary positions should possess at least minimum educational qualification. Also, there should not be a criminal case pending against that person. Such bold steps needs to be implemented. But these politicans will never let this happen.

As for the illiterate unqualified persons not allowed to vote.. well... if this rule is applied then at least people would feel the need to study for acquiring the basic fundamental right of their country. In that sense, it will be good. 😊