Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

aimo82

aimo82

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged

Suppose that someone suggested taking away the right to vote from the illiterate on the grounds that they are unqualified to participate in political decision making. Would you agree? Why or why not?

So guys what u think about this topic,

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "illiterate unqualified to participate in" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by aimo82

Suppose that someone suggested taking away the right to vote from the illiterate on the grounds that they are unqualified to participate in political decision making. Would you agree? Why or why not?

Its a fundamental right in democracy you cant take it away for any reason...making simple choices in life is not all subject to education...

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
my thoughts on this subject are politically very incorrect.. so i will just smile Smile

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Its a fundamental right in democracy you cant take it away for any reason...making simple choices in life is not all subject to education...

On one hand yes what you have said makes sense, but IMO - political decision making is not a simple choice to make. Matter of fact, one cannot ensure educated folks also to take the right decision here, then question is who should logically be allowed to vote? Confused  <<<<<<Rewind - let people avail fundamental rights to vote, irrespective of education.Smile

Edited by raj5000 - 07 May 2007 at 4:53pm

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by qwertyesque

On one hand yes what you have said makes sense, but IMO - political decision making is not a simple choice to make. Matter of fact, one cannot ensure educated folks also to take the right decision here, then question is who should logically be allowed to vote? Confused  <<<<<<Rewind - let people avail fundamental rights to vote, irrespective of education.Smile

this is like saying "since a blind man was hired to be the vigilant door keeper, let us hire a deaf man too. Wink"
2 negatives don;t always make one positive Embarrassed..
i know i am very PI on this LOLLOLLOL.. but i am sure i always will be.

Noor_64

Goldie

Noor_64

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged
India is a democratic country..to take away someone's right to vote for any reason other than mental incapability, etc. would be completely undemocratic/absurd! Democracy = rule of the people..as in ALL the people, not just the ones whose decisions you would approve of! Embarrassed And considering the illiteracy rate in India, taking away the right to vote from the illiterate would be a devastating move for the political system of the country! Even though I -personally- believe only allowing the literate to vote would probably result in a 'better' or more 'effective' government, the truth is that doing so would be against one of the fundamental rules of a democratic nation!

Edited by Noor_64 - 07 May 2007 at 6:19pm

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Tasha1985

IF-Rockerz

Tasha1985

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged
i don't think it is totally wrong if illiterate people are allowed to vote ... as long as the people they have to choose from are not illiterate ... i'm sorry if that seems rude or politically incorrect ... i believe in a democratic society but honestly the people running a country need to have a basic education ... i'm not suggesting that only people with phds in political science become politician ... but i strongly agree with the suggestion that priya dutt made on kwk recently about setting a minimum educational requirement for parliament ...

please don't think that i'm trying to point fingers at any specific country ... i feel that every country should adopt this ... i mean even in the so called "superpower countries" we see politicians get control of ministries that they might not know anything about but the candidate has a good image and thus will look nice in a cabinet ...

so what it comes down to exactly what is portrayed in an old rajesh khanna shabana azmi movie(sorry i really can't remember the name right now) ... in which rajesh khanna is a simple, illiterate villager who is made into a politician by party leaders so they can make him dance to his tunes but their plan backfires and all the power goes to his head ... the danger lies in having illiterate politicians not illiterate voters .... the illiterate voters most often vote for the candidate that is most relatable to them and hence illiterate politicians prevail ... making it mandatory for an individual running in a political race to have a certain level of education would be the better option than taking away the right of illiterate individuals to vote ... doing this could lead to elitist politics

Post Reply New Post

Go to top