Posted: 16 years ago
Asin-Salman in Hindi Pokkiri

By: Settu Shankar
Wednesday, April 25, 2007  
Subscribe to Newsletter

As oneindia.in had written earlier, Asin, the number one heroine of southern cinema, has moved to her new house in Mumbai. At present, she is moving in to a rental apartment in Andheri West, but she has plans to purchase a house in Juhu, the elite area of Bollywood stars. In Kollywood, Asin rejected all mega offers and is concentrating more on her first Hindi film Gajini with Aamir Khan.

The latest news is that the actress will plays the lead lady role against Salman Khan in the Hindi remake of Pokkiri, being produced by Boney Kapoor. She will play the same role in Tamil Pokkiri also. As we have already written, the actress is being offered a few more mega projects in Hindi. Rakesh Mehra of Rang De Basanti fame has confirmed her role in his dream project Dilli -6. As far as acting in Tamil films is concerned, she will be completing Dasavatharam and will not be doing another Tamil film in the near future.

When I contacted Asin regarding her Bollywood debut, the actress replied in excitement, 'I had never dreamed about this opportunity in my life. Thanks to Murugadoss and Aamir Khan. It is true that I got some more offers in Hindi. At present, I have signed for a film with Salman Khan and a movie being directed by Rakesh Mehra. Don't think that I will forget Tamil after my Bollywood debut. I'm always willing to do films in Tamil. But after the release of Dasavatharam only, I can allot my call sheets for the new Tamil projects'.

source :

credits to ruwanplk who posted this article in the bollywood forum.

my comments : the person who posted this article in the bollywood forum said that asin was being compared to sridevi & hema malini. hello? are the critics actually blind? how dare they compare asin with sridevi?😑😑 sridevi is a legend. she is beautiful not to mention  a fantastic actress & everything about her just screams 'evergreen'.

asin does nothing but ham in her films & she is compared with sridevi?😑😑 just cos you act with salman or aamir doesn't mean you're good enough to be compared with sridevi.

asin's acting skills leave much to be desired & even her 'oh so glorious' role in 'Ghajini' was nothing but an whole hour of hamming. from 'M.Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi' right to 'Pokiri', it's the same dumb bubbly girl role who talks throughout the entire film & dances in 4 to 5 songs with the hero.

i'm sorry if i sound harsh on asin but her comparison with sridevi just made me crack.πŸ˜•
Ass-in - errgh.. I was so sick of seeing her in every tamil film, especially in all the 'Deepavali' and 'Pongal' releases and that too with all big stars ONLY.

Her comparison with Sridevi/ Hemamalini, is nothing but a lame attempt at comedy. Jeez..Do people just say that 'cos she is from the South? I hope they can see over and beyond the geographical factor.

Even if one day she becomes a hit heroine in Hindi, with the present trend, she can never be a numero uno like Sri or Hema were, in their times.

Anyway bottom line, I have just a few words..
"Good riddance from Tamil cinema".   
- I hope she never comes back!

An after thought..

Priyanka Chopra and Asin after tons of make-up, look so similar. Then why do they need another Priyanka look alike?
PC is a clean foot taller than Asin, but other than that I don't see a big diff.

Anybody see what I see?

Originally posted by jenim

Anyway bottom line, I have just a few words..
"Good riddance from Tamil cinema".   
- I hope she never comes back!

lols! jenim, you just crack me up!🀣 well, let's see how asin fares in bollywood. it takes much more than luck & recommendations to make it big there.

and one more thing, what's was so great about asin's role in 'Ghajini'? she played a bubbly & kind-hearted girl who gets killed while fighting for justice. people say she was impressive in her role. she even got the filmfare award for best actress last year. what was so special about that role that it prompted a best actress win for asin?

what irks me the most is that people conviniently forget all the hard work & tears jothika put in for 'Chandramukhi'.😭😭 one of the reason why i don't like asin, she gets awards even though she doesn't deserve them. just like trisha.

Originally posted by jigglypuff726

what irks me the most is that people conviniently forget all the hard work & tears jothika put in for 'Chandramukhi'.😭😭 one of the reason why i don't like asin, she gets awards even though she doesn't deserve them. just like trisha.

I agree with you on this statement. I couldnt believe how she could get the Filmfare award for Ghajini 😑😑when she was nothing compared to Jos acting in Chandramukhi.

BTW, are you sure that Asin is still on the hindi version of Ghajini? I heard Ayesha will play the lead role and in pokiri, one names for  Jieah will tak eover????

Originally posted by meli

BTW, are you sure that Asin is still on the hindi version of Ghajini? I heard Ayesha will play the lead role and in pokiri, one names for  Jieah will tak eover????

i really don't know meli. one article says asin is the main female lead then another says she's not. but i guess finally she is the main lead in 'Kajri'. and about the film with salman khan.. i think asin is also doing the same role she did in 'Pokiri'.

what a coveted honour for her! she can get a break in bollywood by just talking non stop in a film.πŸ˜†πŸ˜† now that's what you call luck. it won't come to a person who needs it but sticks to people who really don't deserve it.😭😭

Originally posted by Super~Star~Sri

She won the FilmFare award???
Jo acted well in Chandramukhi(esp the last scene and raraa song)... 

yes sri. asin won the filmfare award for ghajini and jo was glaringly omitted. i wonder why? and people should stop giving bullcrap that only a actress who dubs in her own voice gets filmfare awards.😑😑 hello.. trisha got it for the telegu version of 'Something Something' and she didn't even dub for herself in that film. and jothika did better acting in 'Chandramukhi' than asin & trisha put together.πŸ‘πŸ‘

it's such a waste when they don't acknowledge talented people in the industry then complain that tamil films have no standard.😑😑 excuse me people, tamil cinema has no standard cos you guys are the ones who drive away the cream of the crop by building temples for the weevils.

Agreed with you Leena and Jenim

It is sad that people who are talented are not recognised whilst acting as bimbo gets recognised. Unfortunately, it is the reality. 99% of the movies are male orientated.    

Do you blame Trisha for getting major roles because she knows which side of the bread to butter? We know Trisha can't act, yet she is the choice. Similarly Asin. All they need to do is wear gorgeous clothes and look wonderful, dance, and of course look sexy. In his own words, Vijay has admitted both Asin and Trisha can dance very well and match to his steps. That is how it is in Kollywood.

I heard Meera Jasmine is a great actress in Malayalee movies and even have received awards. But, she acts like a bimbo is tamil movies. Here, I am scratching my head, wondering what is so great about her. There is no difference between her and Trisha. No talent. The roles she has chosen in Tamil movies do not suit her at all. Sorry to MJ fans. But she is nothing just like Tisha and Asin.

But I hope Asin will improve her acting abilities just like Simran. I used to hate Simran, until her potrayal as a mother in Kannathil Muttamvittal. She has come a long way. Nothing to the par of Jo, but definetely a lot of improvement since she started.
Caryn,
I disagree the statement you wrote about Meera. I am not a fan, but she is definitely not a bimbo and unfair to compare her with Trisha and Asin and wrong to say she doesn't have talent.

Have you seen "Kasthuri maan" and Ayutha Ezhuthu" ? In AE, she was only one of the three girls who come out with a realistic acting to her role and the emotions and break done when she learned her husband once again has left her down was well portrayed. In Kasthuri maan has she really performed well with the bubbly character and later as a matured girl.

Even in "Run" and "Sandai kozhi" her role was a bubbly kind of characters but she did it very well, much better than what Asin did in Ghajini and Pokirri.

Rest of her movies was rubbish kind as the whole movie was hero dominating all the way and heroine only had few scenes and come only on song sequence.
Asin is a very gud actress,but d only problem is her characters r'nt meaty.Jyotika was'nt given award 4 chandramukhi,bcz she was compared 2 shobana who did its original version & S was better than Jo.Meera Jasmine is a very natuaral actress,her mal movies prove tht.but unfortunately she did'nt get any meaty roles in tamil.c her mal movies 2 c her talent