Mandira's saree sparks a controversy

*Fiza* thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Mandira's saree sparks a controversy

New Delhi: Actress and cricket anchor Mandira Bedi's clothes flagged off a fresh controversy on Saturday after she was spotted wearing the Indian colours in a disrespectful manner on a satellite television channel.

Hosting the live telecast of the Cricket World Cup along with Charu Sharma on SetMax, Mandira was seen wearing an image of the Indian Tricolour below her waist, which seems to have gone against the constitutional norm. Mandira's saree on the occasion had images of national flags of all the cricket-playing nations printed on it. But it placed the image of the Indian Tricolour in a rather disrespectful position.

The Indian Government had cleared wearing of images of the Indian Tricolour on clothing in 2005, but had clearly ruled that the flag can only be displayed on garments above the waist.

As soon as the show kicked off at 1700 hours (IST) on Saturday evening and the Indian cricket fans glued to their television sets for some good cricket, SMSs started doing the rounds in India, pointing fingers at the aberration on Mandira's saree.

According to sources, the controversial saree was part of a special collection designed by Satya Paul, which is being sported exclusively by Mandira Bedi during the ongoing World Cup.

The Indian Government had cleared wearing of images of the Indian Tricolour on clothing in 2005 following a raging debate over the provision of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971, according to which using the Indian national flag as a drapery in any form except in state funerals was a crime.

Source :
http://www.cricketnext.com/news/mand.../24750-13.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
Mandira wore it upside down... the indian flag was touching her feet... and suprisingly pakistani flag was on her left side(heart side) but she meant to wear it upside down... 😕
kothra thumbnail
well i dnt have set max..
she should have use better sarees
*Fiza* thumbnail
i knowww!!! but the whole point of making this saree was to show tht cricket brings all the countries togehter lyke a big family...thts also wot the designer said...and i totally agree with him...
*Fiza* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
yeah its the one which the statue is wearing...
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
yea..i think she should be mindful of what saree she's wearing and what it has on it!
mini2390 thumbnail
i think such things that relate to one's country or patriotism shud be thought about at least twice or such things end up happenning 😕 !
Snape thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
according to indian law , wearing the picture of the flag anywhere lower than naval is a crime ... although i dont think she had no intention to insult india , but she should know such law