Debate Mansion

Should married women retain maiden names - Page 5

raunaq thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
This content was originally posted by: qwertyesque

in which community does it happen that girls have to take change their first name and take husbands first and last name as their middle and last name. that is something new to me that its mandatory, i thought its the choice of the woman.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

persistence thumbnail
Aishwarya Rai has decided to use her name as "Aishwarya Bachchan" and not "Aishwarya Rai Bachchan". In an article in a leading Mumbai daily three prominent numerologists namely Niraj Mancchanda, Sanjay Jumani and Anupam Kapil were asked to advise what name Aishwarya Rai should use after marriage.

IndiaFM Numerologist Niraj Mancchanda had suggested Aishwarya Bachchan because her name would come to number 46 and as she is number 1 (born on Nov 1) she should use her own number as it is always better to use you own number. Whereas Sanjay Jumani and Anupam Kapil had suggested Aishwarya Rai Bachchan so that she uses number 5 (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan comes to number 50)."

Even Amitabh Bachchan recently quoted "Ash desires to use the Bachchan surname. She signed her first autograph in Tirupati as Aishwarya Bachchan".

Niraj Mancchanda comments "Not only Aishwarya Rai but any girl in the world who continues to write her maiden name before the husband's surname will always give more priority to her maiden family and the importance to the husband's family will be secondary after marriage. This is because the maiden surname is written before the husband's surname. To give more importance to the husband's family is only possible if the maiden surname is dropped. As Aishwarya has decided to use the name Aishwarya Bachchan, she will value the Bachchan family and will also use her own number 46 which is the number of immortality.

🀒 🀒 🀒 MCP! 😑 😑 😑

I wish I had a belan; it would go flying at this numerologist's head at 100 mph, and I hope it breaks his head. 😑

Sigh, men get on my nerves so easily. 😑

IMHO, women can and should give equal importance to both families, and shall keep her maiden name if she desires to. I like my last name, and will keep it. It will also keep me from the hassle of changing names on all legal documents. 😎

Persy

nvmd

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: raunaq

Most european countries. This example i saw was from France where the person accidentally sent out a global mail... and I came to know about this...

This content was originally posted by: Gauri_3

woh kahawat suni hai...shareef apni sharafat sey gaya...bura samjha woh darr gaya.

Women have been changing their last names after marriage to keep things simple but I see some people assuming here that they are doing it because they are not part of their parents' family any more etc. etc. etc.

The bond between parents and daughters is not dependent on any last name. It is very strong and will remain extremely strong irrespective of the last name. Now imagine a guy trying to take up his wife's last name post marriage......do I need to tell you what will happen to his bond with his parents....dhajjiyan udd jayengi saarey rishton ki.... πŸ˜›

It is purely the girl's choice whether she keeps her maiden name, takes up her hubby's last name or keep both. The choice has nothing to do with her bonding for her parents or her respect for her in-laws.

BTW I took my hubby's last name after marriage and his first name as my middle name totally out of my own free will....reason....my name now sounds damn cute😳...but a wee bit too longπŸ˜†

raunaq thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: qwertyesque

thank you, didnt know it before πŸ˜›

mermaid_QT thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: raunaq

Raunaq, we don;t change the FIRST name of the girl anymore.. but when we change the last name, we do take husband's name as middle name and husband's last name as last name - in maharashtrians..
Before marriage, girl's first name is her name, middle name is DAD's name and last name is dad's last name..
So for marathi gals who change their name after marriage, middle name and last name changes from dad --> husband.
FRENCH pataa nahee.. double check qwerty is not pulling ur legs πŸ˜›
Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 years ago

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

no they do but like you said they dont change their first name... QT maharashtrians still change the name.. but keep the other one for passports sake I think....πŸ˜†... Otherwise you will have gotra complexity isnt it?

mermaid_QT thumbnail
lol @ gotra complexity.. qwerty
raunaq thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

thank you qt, didnt know that either, looks like wives have to compromise everywhere πŸ˜†