Debate Mansion

Does Endorsements affect Consumers?

Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

Hi…

Commercials done by Big B for products like Dabur Chavanprakash, hair oil etc..

Commercials done by SRK for products like Sun-feast Biscuit, Videocon, Pepsi etc.

Sachin Tendulkar is endorsing many products too.

Amir Khan for Coca Cola

I want to ask few questions:-

1.      Does the Consumer get attracted to buy product,

which is endorse by the favorite Actor or Sportsman?

2.      If a product is good and NOT being endorsed

by any famous personality, will that product maintain stability in market?

3.      If a product is not so good and being endorsed by

any famous personality, will the Product get stability in market?

4.      Will the Consumer not purchase a product, which

is not endorse by his/her favorite Actor or Sportsman

even the product is good? (for ex. As media is telling a

rivalry going between SRK and Big B so will Big B fans

purchase products endorsed by SRK)

Cheers,

Ahmed

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago

Disclaimer: Mgmt. students (CB, Tania, etc.) please avoid.πŸ˜†

This content was originally posted by: guess_gallery

Firstly it depends on the product and the endorser and whether they match each others image or not. For example, SRK does the ad for Santro Xing, because both have a peppy, bubbly image. Now if SRK is to do the ad for a Tractor, will it impress the same way...probably not.

But if they are compatible, then the product definitely gets an edge over its rival products in creating the first impression. Celebrity endorsement also increases the retention and recall among the targeted consumers. So, the chances of trial and repeat purchase increases.

That will depend on the type of product you're talking about. If it's an industrial product or rational purchase, no need for celebrity endorsement. If the product is an old recognised brand and has been in the market for the past so many years, then again celebrity endorsement is not essential (e.g.- Maggi). If the product is old and is an established brand but entering a new market then again celebrity endorsement is not always essential (e.g- McDonalds). If it's a monopoly or oligopoly, then no need to even advertise (e.g.- Bajaj scooter of 1970s and 80s).

However, if the product is new, then not using any celebrities will retard its process of market penetration and the initial sales will be low compared to its rivals who are using celebrities. And in the long run, quality, price everything remaining same, the rival will have more chance of showing better sales than it. But if the product has a superior quality or better priced than its rivals, then after a time it will become the market leader, celebrity or no celebrity.

If you're talking about exclusive luxury products, whose main way of communication is through PR activities, then getting a celebrity endorsement is most of the times a good idea (e.g.- Tag Heuer).

A bad product will never last long (considering there are substitutes available and it's not monopolistic market), period. Celebrity endorsements guarantees instant recognition and initial sales, not stability. Consumers who got interested by its ads and celebrity endorsement will go for trial purchases, but if it does not satisfy their needs or if they don't get VFM, they won't come back for repeat purchases.

I don't think that usually happens. And even if it occurs, it's in limited circles of consumers, so hardly affects the sales.

Cheers,

Ahmed

Sorry for such a long post folks, I know you're yawning by now.πŸ˜›

Edited by souro - 16 years ago
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hi…

Commercials done by SRK for products like Sun-feast Biscuit, Videocon, Pepsi etc.

Amir Khan for Coca Cola

Don't know about others, but neither I nor any of the people I know are affected by the endorsements. I do watch the ad with more interest, but that's about it. We usually end up discussing the stars' performance in the ad rather than the product itself.πŸ˜›

Why not? Word-of-mouth is a very important element in the success of a product. If the product is worth its salt, it will succeed - that is my belief!

Initially yes, but not in the long run!

I think we should credit the consumer with more sense that. πŸ˜›

Cheers,

Ahmed

raunaq thumbnail
i dont know anyone who gets affected by the dignitaries endorsing the products. actually i dont watch these ads by bollywood actors or actresses who endorse products. i have watched ashs ad of loreal and it didnt coerce me to run to the near by supermarket to get the product πŸ˜•. i think if the product is good, even if its not endorsed by any famous personality it will still run in the market. the consumers are smart enough, they dont need any known faces to buy the product. i think the endorsement on tv only helps them to know that the product is up in the market no matter how many times you watch an ad in a day, jessica beil endorsement or nicole kidmans endorsement wont compel you to buy it until you know what you want to buy. it all depends on consumers what they want to buy at the end of the day πŸ˜›

P.S. i have heard through my friend about johns bike endorsement, i guess that might have an effect on me, i would like to buy that bike 😭 😭 😭 Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
sareg thumbnail

Hi…

yes, the product catches the eye of the consumer, that itself is a big acheivement

then the product will have to be marketed  word of mouth which will keep the product local

probably not, the famous personality is brought on so the initial sales are boosted, after the initial sales are reached it is upon the product to keep the attention of the consumer

possibly,when kids are buying say a drink, and it is endorsed by Amir or Shahrukh, their personal fav will certainly play a part, I have seen my 12 year old nephew do the differntiation

Cheers,

Ahmed

S a r a h thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

>> I did not use any of the products endorsed by Kareena πŸ˜†anyways... I remember how I made it sure to have Pepsi whenever I thought about having a soft drink in my childhood after watching pepsi tri-series(cricket) where India did extremely well that says alot... I was so happy that pepsi cup is won by my fav team and hence my fav drink is pepsi... before that, Coke was my fav since Sushmita endorsed it πŸ˜† so thats how it attracts customers... its a smartest tactic to convince somone with the reference to its fav or closest to heart moments😳

>>ofcourse yes, there is also a notion that extremely good products or brand names with high-quality do not need any publicity. for eg, Mittal Steel, Amway or Shehnaz Hussain Products to name few...

>>I dont think anyone buys Navratan TeilπŸ˜†

>>frankly speaking if we start thinking about that then we will be left with none as these two actors have endorsed almost everything under SunπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Tearðrops thumbnail
If you have the right person for the right product then it does have a huge impact on the sales of the product. There have been many times when we have gone and brought an item thinking it would work miracles for example. all hair and beauty products they always have only the best looking people to advertise them.
If you have an ordinary person model for a sports drink then no one would really know who was actually in the advert but if you have a famous sportsman model for it then you are assured that people will associate the drink with the sportsman.

You wouldn't need a celebrity to advertise your product to gain stability in the market but if you do and with the right celebrity then you would be better off than just being stable in the market.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: tania.ganguly

Soumya, why should I? Once in a blue moon I get topics that I can talk about.πŸ˜†. The coincidence is I just finished the project last Sunday on celebrity endorsements and Tiger endorsing Buick.

Ahmed

Will come back in the morning to answer your questions.

Tania

Arre...I meant avoid reading my reply.πŸ˜ƒ

mermaid_QT thumbnail
everyone is in agreement 😊 ..
me too.. well said soumya, SB, sareg and everyone..πŸ‘πŸ‘

This content was originally posted by: souro

Raunaq's Chat ji πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and Qwerty's delcious chat πŸ˜³, qt's R & DM's CB is not a mgmt student Soumya.. He is a professional sattabaaj but I love that dislaimer of urs 🀣.  I would have done similar if I posted views.

You said well w/o mgmt schooling I think! πŸ‘πŸ‘
disclaimer- those who disagree, plz ignore πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 

nice post ahmed πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 years ago

cool_pooja thumbnail

Hi…

Amir Khan for Coca Cola

Having an actor/actresses in an ad does create intrest for the viewer howerver it does not mean the viewer really buys the product.😊

It might if they competetive products are not being endorsed by famous personalities and/or are not good.

Yes it would. Famous personality ensures stability.

Nah, thats too extreme and everybody know days is aware which product is good and which is not.