Sports/Cricket

Ponting compares Sachin and Lara

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Sur_Sangam

IF-Dazzler

Sur_Sangam

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged

Australian Ricky Ponting has acclaimed the batting geniuses of Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar and called the Indian "the most technically correct player".

"I've enjoyed the battles along the way with Brian as well. He's a very competitive guy," Ponting told reporters on Friday.

"The thing that people don't think much about Brian Lara is that he basically had the weight of the whole team on his shoulders for the best part of 10 years now and had to carry their batting and win them games almost by himself.

"That sort of pressure going into every game and for him to be able to stand up and perform is something that should never be overlooked," said Ponting, himself one of the greatest players of the contemporary era

"I've always thought that he and Sachin have been the two greatest batsmen that I've ever played against and probably for different reasons," he mused

"Brian (Lara) has got the ability to turn it on when he wants and take you apart and Sachin has probably been the most technically correct player that I have seen along the way."

Matthew Hayden, who scored 380 in 2003 to break Lara's then world record for the highest score of 375, had also words of praise for West Indies captain's genius.

"Brian is probably unheralded as far as a batting technique goes. He's got an unusual, unorthodox type of technique which makes bowlers look embarrassed at times," Hayden said.

"I love the way he manipulates the field and it's a pretty sad day for cricket because he is obviously a tremendous ambassador for the game. No one probably has achieved as much as Brian has either so it's a sad day."

Lara, who recaptured the record for the highest Test score with 400 not out against England in 2004, announced he would quit international cricket following his team's final match of the World Cup Saturday in Barbados.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kothra

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ponting compares Sachin and Lara" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

atohani99

IF-Rockerz

atohani99

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged
Yeah Sachin and Lara are def to great players but i think Ponting has forgotten to add himself to that list. He is in amazing form at the mo.

But yeah Ponting was right that Lara has had the whole team on his soldiers, while Tendulkar has had other batsman around him to win a game

Arun

atohani99

IF-Rockerz

atohani99

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged

Yeah Sachin and Lara are def to great players but i think Ponting has forgotten to add himself to that list. He is in amazing form at the mo.

But yeah Ponting was right that Lara has had the whole team on his soldiers, while Tendulkar has had other batsman around him to win a game

Arun

Sorry double posting, Embarrassed

Edited by atohani99 - 22 April 2007 at 1:33pm

Misfit_

Goldie

Misfit_

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged
Wow, finally something positive, not pompous out of this guy's mouth. That's gotta be a first. Wacko

Sur_Sangam

IF-Dazzler

Sur_Sangam

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by yeh_ada_143

Wow, finally something positive, not pompous out of this guy's mouth. That's gotta be a first. Wacko
LOLYes, it is about time that happens..

nightangel

IF-Sizzlerz

nightangel

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged
true very true..dhy both r gr8 players.. Tongue

coolsonu

IF-Rockerz

coolsonu

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:37am | IP Logged
I feel Lara is better than Sachin...
but that doesnt mean Sachin is not good!!
No offence to Sachin fans Embarrassed

kothra

IF-Stunnerz

kothra

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged

Very True..Both are great playersBig smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top