Debate Mansion

We need to move FAST....and brag less...

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged

I just came across this article. Few excerpts...

While India grapples with 2G, dropping quality standards, calling 256 Kb/second speed as broadband and 3G Spectrum, the world has moved on. In UK, British Telecom is already offering 8 Mb/second speeds to household users. More importantly, closer home, China has tested its own 4G technology for mobile telephones.

In short, what is being said is that we have no hope in hell to catch up. When foreign companies set up manufacturing facilities in China, their government extracts commitments from them on R&D, sharing of knowledge and royalty payments waivers.

In India, we make necessary noises like making it compulsory to manufacture if overseas companies want any government contract. But what they do in the garb of manufacturing is known to all except the benign powers-that-be.

So, whether it is Nokia or Ericsson or Motorola, all of whom incidentally are setting up 'manufacturing' bases in Chennai, or whoever else, they are contributing zilch to India's knowledge bank.

They merely assemble products here using their patented parts and set their cash registers ringing, while our own manufacturing initiatives lie in tatters.

There has been this constant clamour from domestic hardware manufacturers for incentives from the government. However, none except the service industry has seen anything come their way.

Our infrastructure (Rail, Roads, Ports, Airports, Power, Water, Sanitation, Health, Education, Housing etc) is poor even compared to China/South East Asia. Take for example, New Delhi, we have constantly been facing power shortage (esp in Summer and now even in Winter) since last 10 years or so, and still no govt did anything to generate additional power, upar se I read somewhere that 50% of the electricity is lost in Delhi (Transmission + theft). Roads/old flyovers, poor maintainance...worst thing about us is that we are ZERO at maintaining things, PWD/CPWD builds new flyovers and within weeks/months they look like years old, roads are no better..even in the India Gate circle (I daily cross it on my way to office/home), there are potholes. Lawns around India Gate/Rajpath are poorly maintained...all I can say is that they look embarassing. Water, same old story every summer, water shortages all around, 24 hours water is a dream...many people are forced to buy water for daily chores. Same story again, 20-30%  of water is lost due to leakages/theft. Yamuna River is a stinking nallah. Upar se itni gandagi, dust...pollution...trash. This is Delhi so it gets national coverage, situation in other parts of India must be worse. Upar se we do not have any civic sense, kahin par bhi spit karo...nose blow karo...traffic rules break karo...and so many small small but important things.

Our cities stand nowhere close to even Bangkok, Indira Gandhi IA looks like a Train Station...after thinking so so many years finally Airports are getting renovated(?)...we are TOO slow in taking and implementing decisions, projects never get completed on time.

And we still keep boasting about our 8% GDP growth rate, India being a developed nation by 2020...and a Software/BPO/KPO Superpower...blah-blah. In our obsession with IT we seem to have forgotton about other sectors, IT may be contributing handsomely to our economy but it would be a mistake to ignore Agriculture/Manufacturing sectors as these are the sectors which generate maximum no of jobs. Look at China, they have become the factory of the World while creating millions of jobs and hence pulling out countless people out of poverty.

The pathetic quality of netas/administrators is not helping us a bit and not to forget our own callousness.

Phew...I could go on and on....

Edited by SolidSnake - 22 April 2007 at 12:05pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "We need to move FAST....and brag less..." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged
very interesting post solidji Smile many things i didnt know like you have to buy water in certain parts for daily chores, thats pathetic. i agree with you on electricity part Angry and also i agree with you on the squalidness and spitting issues, they need to take care of it. it has the potential of growing tourism industry but the hygienic issues over there might foil it. i also think they need to take care of slum issues, poverty etc. i dont have much to comment since dont have much clue about the issues going on there but would love to know the comments from others Tongue

Edited by raunaq - 22 April 2007 at 12:16pm

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
The killing of 24x7 water
Gurcharan Das
[21 Apr, 2007 l 2351 hrs ISTlTIMES NEWS NETWORK]
Print
Save
EMail

It came as a shock to me that India's cities have more water than most cities in the world. Delhi has 300 litres per person per day of treated water compared to Paris with 150 or London with 171. Then why do people in Paris and London get water 24 hours a day while Delhi's residents get it only for four? Guwahati sits on the Brahmaputra River but people get water for only two hours. The poor in our cities have to depend on tankers. When the tanker is late there is a scramble and even a riot. Recently, a tanker driver fearing for his life took off at a high speed, and a child died in the chaos.

Because water comes intermittently, Indians have to store it. Storage tanks cost money and are not cleaned regularly. This brings disease. Since water pipes are not under continuous pressure, they get broken when pressure is released it's called the 'hammer effect'. Vacuum also develops in the pipe, and ground and sewage water enters through the cracks, thereby contaminating drinking water. It takes 90 minutes to re-pressure, dump the contaminated water, and lots of clean water is thus wasted.

Everyone has a diagnosis. Delhi's Jal Board says that 40% of its water is stolen. Its zonal engineers want more pipes and infrastructure. (Lucrative contracts bring prosperity to engineers.) Economists say that Paris charges properly for its water; hence Parisians don't waste it. Delhi's water charges are so low that there is little incentive to conserve. Besides, low tariffs help mainly the rich because the poor don't have taps. All these facts are true but the main problem is the Delhi Jal Board. It is a fiefdom of politicians with 20,000 employees when it should have 5,000. It doesn't meter properly, encourages theft, and is not accountable to customers.

Delhi's government, to its credit, recognised the problem and decided to fix it. It tried to insulate the Jal Board from politicians and test a plan to give water 24 hours a day in two out of its 22 zones. It offered management contracts to experts, who would motivate Jal Board employees to reduce theft, extend taps to poor areas, and be responsive to customers. It also decided to take a loan from the World Bank for this project. This is when its problems started. A well meaning but ideological NGO, Parivartan, claimed that the process of hiring consultants was manipulated. It raised the fears of privatisation, mobilised public opinion, and killed the reform. With it died the prospect of 24-hour water for Delhi.

The Greeks were suspicious of democracy. They felt that people often made bad decisions that went against their interest. People could be manipulated by demagogues and vested interests. In this story, vested interests were the local politicians, bureaucrats and Jal Board employees. They manipulated Parivartan to become their demagogue. They scared Delhi's people and a workable reform failed. Sad, indeed, for it kills 24x7 water in other Indian cities as well.

The lesson from this sad story is that it is not easy to reform in a democracy. Reformers have to win over the people when they change institutions. If Sheila Dikshit had worked as hard to 'sell' this reform as she had to conceive it, she might have saved it. We are facing another summer of water and power shortages and politicians have begun to make ridiculous promises. The answer is "not to fix the pipes, but to fix the institutions that fix the pipes".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/The_killing_of_24x7_water /articleshow/1935804.cms

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 22 April 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

I just came across this article. Few excerpts...

While India grapples with 2G, dropping quality standards, calling 256 Kb/second speed as broadband and 3G Spectrum, the world has moved on. In UK, British Telecom is already offering 8 Mb/second speeds to household users. More importantly, closer home, China has tested its own 4G technology for mobile telephones.

In short, what is being said is that we have no hope in hell to catch up. When foreign companies set up manufacturing facilities in China, their government extracts commitments from them on R&D, sharing of knowledge and royalty payments waivers.

In India, we make necessary noises like making it compulsory to manufacture if overseas companies want any government contract. But what they do in the garb of manufacturing is known to all except the benign powers-that-be.

So, whether it is Nokia or Ericsson or Motorola, all of whom incidentally are setting up 'manufacturing' bases in Chennai, or whoever else, they are contributing zilch to India's knowledge bank.

They merely assemble products here using their patented parts and set their cash registers ringing, while our own manufacturing initiatives lie in tatters.

There has been this constant clamour from domestic hardware manufacturers for incentives from the government. However, none except the service industry has seen anything come their way.

Our infrastructure (Rail, Roads, Ports, Airports, Power, Water, Sanitation, Health, Education, Housing etc) is poor even compared to China/South East Asia. Take for example, New Delhi, we have constantly been facing power shortage (esp in Summer and now even in Winter) since last 10 years or so, and still no govt did anything to generate additional power, upar se I read somewhere that 50% of the electricity is lost in Delhi (Transmission + theft). Roads/old flyovers, poor maintainance...worst thing about us is that we are ZERO at maintaining things, PWD/CPWD builds new flyovers and within weeks/months they look like years old, roads are no better..even in the India Gate circle (I daily cross it on my way to office/home), there are potholes. Lawns around India Gate/Rajpath are poorly maintained...all I can say is that they look embarassing. Water, same old story every summer, water shortages all around, 24 hours water is a dream...many people are forced to buy water for daily chores. Same story again, 20-30%  of water is lost due to leakages/theft. Yamuna River is a stinking nallah. Upar se itni gandagi, dust...pollution...trash. This is Delhi so it gets national coverage, situation in other parts of India must be worse. Upar se we do not have any civic sense, kahin par bhi spit karo...nose blow karo...traffic rules break karo...and so many small small but important things.

Our cities stand nowhere close to even Bangkok, Indira Gandhi IA looks like a Train Station...after thinking so so many years finally Airports are getting renovated(?)...we are TOO slow in taking and implementing decisions, projects never get completed on time.

And we still keep boasting about our 8% GDP growth rate, India being a developed nation by 2020...and a Software/BPO/KPO Superpower...blah-blah. In our obsession with IT we seem to have forgotton about other sectors, IT may be contributing handsomely to our economy but it would be a mistake to ignore Agriculture/Manufacturing sectors as these are the sectors which generate maximum no of jobs. Look at China, they have become the factory of the World while creating millions of jobs and hence pulling out countless people out of poverty.

The pathetic quality of netas/administrators is not helping us a bit and not to forget our own callousness.

Phew...I could go on and on....

Thats right Solid... our growth faces a dead end unless we continue to survive on services revenue like BPO, IT...We dont have any scope to do infrastructural 360......Also we would always decelerate the fast growth sectors to normalize our out of whack poverty and people who dont even have water to drink...and other social excuses...

So, i dont see us getting at the break-neck speed... any time in near future...

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged

Deepak ji!

Nice post!

I did'nt understand the post well completely!Cry

Cheers to my ignoranceLOL,

Mythili

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Deepak ji!

Nice post!

I did'nt understand the post well completely!Cry

Cheers to my ignoranceLOL,

Mythili

Well, I myself didn't understand it completely. j/k LOL

Actually I was just trying to elaborate that despite all this talk of IT boom and 8% GDP growth rate, how much MORE needs to be done. Presuming it were a 100 meter race..we have covered only 1 meter.

Edited by SolidSnake - 23 April 2007 at 9:26am

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Deepak ji!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Nice post!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>I did'nt understand the post well completely!Cry

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Cheers to my ignoranceLOL,

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Mythili

Well, I myself didn't understand it completely. j/k LOL

Actually I was just trying to elaborate thatdespite all this talk of IT boom and 8% GDP growth rate, how much MORE needs to be done. Presuming it were a100 meter race..we have covered only 1 meter.

huh!!! Ouch is it?arey bhai log jaldi jaldi daudo, can someone fix water and electricity problem first, sirf sunday ke sunday electricity aata hai, baaki din chuti per hota hai Ouch

Edited by raunaq - 23 April 2007 at 10:32am

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged
I think the signing of the nuclear pact with America is a step in right direction as far as electricity is concerned. I hope and wish to see more and more nuclear power plants so that our electricity issues are taken care of.

I remember it used to take ages to get from Dadar to Andheri in peak time, couple of years ago, that drive was a breeze. As compared in Bangalore the infrastructure seems to be crumbling under the weight of development.

It is our responsibilty to elect people who make sensible promises at election time, promises that have some value in terms of our living standard

Post Reply New Post

Go to top