Inzamam a cricketing 'dictator' - Akram

farisss4 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Inzamam a cricketing 'dictator' - Akram

April 15, 2007

According to Wasim Akram, Inzamam-ul-Haq had become so powerful in Pakistan cricket that coach Bob Woolmer and the support staff approached him for leave Getty Images

Wasim Akram, the former Pakistan fast bowler and captain, has lashed out at Inzamam-ul-Haq and called him a "dictator" in Pakistan cricket. In an interview on ESPN, Akram said that Inzamam had become so powerful that Bob Woolmer, the former coach who died under unexplained circumstances in Jamaica, and the support staff approached him for leave.

"I have seen senior PCB officials sitting at his residence and awaiting orders," Akram said. "These things are not good for cricket." With Pakistan looking for a new captain, after Inzamam resigned from the post and announced his retirement from ODIs, Akram felt that Shoaib Malik, the allrounder, was a good choice.

"The only ones who can handle the job are Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Yousuf," he said. "[Malik] is young and he is talented. I don't think we have much of a choice, if Younis [Khan] is not interested."

Younis officially declined the captaincy, citing continuing mental strain after the traumatic events of recent weeks as the main factor in his decision. He had been vice-captain under Inzamam for two years and was expected to take over the leadership. Younis had earlier rejected the post of captaincy during the Champions Trophy in India, when Inzamam was facing a four-match ban, on the grounds that he didn't want to be a "dummy" captain.

Akram felt that Younis would have been the best person to replace Inzamam but added that it was silly of Younis to make comments about absolute power and control. "For any captain, he must first win the trust of his teammates, get some victories under his belt and power will automatically come," Akram said. "You don't have to clamour for power."

Disagreeing with former captain and coach Javed Miandad's comments that the captain must not be given full authority, Akram said that in India and Pakistan the captain must be the boss as he leads the team out on the field. "Javed has been my mentor but I sometimes don't understand what he says," Akram said.

"When he was captain, Javed bhai wanted full control and now he is saying something else." Akram said that everything would fall into place as long as there was a healthy interaction between the captain and selectors

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

farisss4 thumbnail
well i agree with akram...dat is what actually happens when a person actually gains so much powers... 😭
farisss4 thumbnail
but go malik u r a good choice..
*Fiza* thumbnail
Tfs!i dont know if akram is ryte or not? but i agree with him... shoaib and yusaf are capable of leading the team... but it wud be hard for pCB to decide...as they both are classic players... if i m the selector i wud go for shoaib malik...coz he is very talented plus he is a allrounder player...wot bout u fariS?
kothra thumbnail
well if younis is not interested than i will go with shoaib malik n mohd yousuf..
*Fiza* thumbnail
huzi ! just choose one...coz they both can't be the captain for pak team...
nightangel thumbnail
hope sohab make some remarkable victory for pak.. 👏
farisss4 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fiza_87

Tfs!i dont know if akram is ryte or not? but i agree with him... shoaib and yusaf are capable of leading the team... but it wud be hard for pCB to decide...as they both are classic players... if i m the selector i wud go for shoaib malik...coz he is very talented plus he is a allrounder player...wot bout u fariS?

malik will make a good captain i think fiza...i read on jang news dat dey have already chosen malik s the ecaptain...but they havent openly spoke about it yet...
i personally think if usuf bcomes the captain dat might affect his batting...but shoib malik is d best choice... 😛
coolsonu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: farisss4

malik will make a good captain i think fiza...i read on jang news dat dey have already chosen malik s the ecaptain...but they havent openly spoke about it yet...
i personally think if usuf bcomes the captain dat might affect his batting...but shoib malik is d best choice... 😛

i agree wid u! I read that in Jang tooooooo!