Page 1 of 10

Page 1
Page   of 10
Page 2 Page 10

Himmi_K

IF-Dazzler

Himmi_K

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged

another boring saturday morning......i was flipping through magazines without actually registering anything in my mind......i wished i could be in the office typing away software code as if thats the ultimate goal of my mortal life.....but i couldnt go there, travelling for two and half hours to reach my office in a software city without company vehicle sounded way too exhausting.........so i was here sitting all alone in house.....and thats when i recalled something....just a fortnight back a friend of mine gifted me a DVD which i couldnt even have a look at due to my damanding work........after rummaging through my rather messy cupboard i found it atlast......IF ONLY.....

DVD Cover showed a young couple kissing..and two words shone below the frame...IF ONLY....He Loved Her Like There Was No Tommorrow. Was it another so called romantic english movie where love and romance was limited to hero heroine pouncing on each other as if "there was no tommorrow"??? i thought. i  wasnt interested then.....but again there was nothing else i could do throughout the dull and hot Mumbai afternoon......

IF ONLY a Sony Pictures Home Entertainment production...written by Christina Welsh...directed by Gil Junger. Cast included Jennifer Love Hewitt...(another disappointment on my part...didnt quite like her in I Know What You Did Last Summer...) Paul Nicholls (not very famous....more of a TV star than a Hollywood Actor)

i slid the DVD in DVDplayer and rolled on my bed, without much expectation from the movie...(if thats a bore, i would sleep atleast...my professional mind told me..not a waste!!)

this is a story of Ian-a budding businessman and his steady girlfriend Samantha- a music school graduation student. Both are in immense love with each other but time and reality are two acid tests that tarnishes the bond of love...same is happening with them. Samantha is no hesitant when it comes to show Ian, how much she loves him but Ian is not so expressive...something that troubles samantha alot..but she is hopeful for a better future with him.

He simply forgets her graduation day till she reminds him much to her annoyance. Her one wrong move costs him a good project on the same day.....a heart breaking fight follows. Samantha leaves the Restaurant with broken heart and tears in her eyes. Ian follows her out of hotel....his  heart pleads him to stop her but his ego overpowers the love...and in next few minutes his life collapses completely......

Samantha dies as her cab meets with a horrid accident........right there in front of Ian's eyes. he watches her dying and there is nothing this helpless man can do to save love of his life.

and as they say "you realise the worth of your love when its no longer resting in your arms"..Ian realises the same when samantha is no more. there are music scripts written everywhere....thats the song she wrote and composed but never felt confident enough to present it to the world...... his free flowing tears wets her diary where there is only one mention on each page..in on every line...on every corner..... Ian..Ian..Ian....he hugs it close to his heart and curl up in his bed like a small helpless child..realisation hits him hard.he recalls all fights when he vented every ounce of his frustration on her....when she remained silent and spoke nothing....he then recalls all those small things that showed how much she cared and loved him...something she did ever since they shared a relationship...a feeling of losing the most precious part of his life mingles with a piercing feeling of guilt....guilt for the way she felt before she died......if at all there was death written in her fate, atleast she could have died with content in her heart..content that his love could have brought forth....

next morning when he opens his eyes, he is shell shocked. Samantha is there..right beside him...in his bed as fresh as a morning beauty. after few moments when he finaly gets hold on himself and labels what he saw as nightmare, he holds her close to his heart as if God fulfilled his burning wish....he kisses her so frantacally and passionately that its samantha's turn to be shocked. she is unable to understand whats wrong with her businessman boyfriend for whom she was no special than a toaster or mixer previous morning...

Ian is cheerful...his heart overflowing with love for samantha whose worth is the most in his life..he knows now, after losing her even thought it was just a nightmare...he doesnt want that to happen in reality and for that he can do anything......

Things happen excatly the way he saw them happening in his so called nightmare..he tries his best to change them...yes he manages to change the timing a bit but nevertheless he is concerned........what can he do? how can he save samantha....

and thats when he comes across a cab driver...to be precise driver of the same cab who meets the accident and results in killing Samantha.....now Ian is sure that what he saw was not a night mare. it was all true but for some unknown reson, God has given him second chance to save her......

Cabbie is one wise man...man as good as a guardian angel to him who tells him that he has a very less time in his hands....he need not save her as things wouldnt change on his insistence but yes! he can love her like never before..he can appreciate her and her love for him......

Ian is broken....but he gears up to give her what she wanted the most from her own life.....a bestest day that she can ever imagine. she has a fantasy in her mind that they would make love in a small house, away from the hustle bustle of city...when its pouring heavily outside..she is lying in protective vise of his arms...resting her head on his chest..where even the deafening thunder outside cant make her wince her lashes in fright.

she has a dream where she would sing that song in her graduation ceremony in front of a choosy and classy audience without any hesitation or self doubt.

Ian perfectly aware of her fantacy and dreams, takes her to a hilltop where there is a small stone built hut...it starts raining outside and they enter this house. Ian asks Samantha one question..that if today was her last day of life what would be her wish?? whats something that she would want as last thing from her life....

He turns his back on her as he asks this....he certainly doesnt want her to see his tears..he chokes while speaking. samantha is perplexed. she cant see the reason why he is so emotional and on the edge today......since it dawned, he had been doing things which she always wanted him to do...something which he never did...it could be wearing her favorite shirt and tie or kissing her passionately before leaving for the office....

she replies with same emotions......that she would want to die in his arms while he is making love to her.

passion flares between them...and he satisfies each of her hidden desire..its something which is meant for her only....tears start flowing incessantly as she stirs in her sleep clutching him tightly.....

then they come back to town as its her graduation ceremony tonight....here he uses all his contacts and arranges rendition of her song..........her dream..a surprise.....

she is shocked again....but she sings......with all her heart, with all her love, with all the happiness that her love offered her over a small period of time...

Today, today I bet my life
You have no idea
What I feel inside
Don't, be afraid to let it show
For you never know
If you let it out

I love you, you love me
Take this gift and don't ask why
Cause if you, will let me
I'll take what scares you and hold it deep inside
And if you, ask me why,
I'm with you and why I'll never leave
Love will show you everything

One day,
when youth is just a memory
I know,
You'll be standing right next to me

I love you, you love me
Take this gift and don't ask why
Cause if you, will let me
I'll take what scares you and hold it deep inside
And if you, ask me why
I'm with you and why I'll never leave
My love will show you everything
Our love will show us everything

her eyes shine with tears...tears of joy when she sees him standing there with open arms.....a thundurous applause for her rendition adds her happiness......a perfect day for her....more than perfect.

then comes the time....instead of fight, they have a romantic dinner in same restaurent...its torturing for him as the moment is passing by..he knows that she will die soon and there is nothing he can do or change.....he gifts her a bracelet...his tears on the verge of falling again.......she is confused but content with all the love care and admiration that he is showering on her.....

now its the time. she calls the cab....there is he bidding her goodbye......she looks at him expectantly......will you come with me...her eyes seem to ask him....he cant resist anything anymore...perfectly aware of what future is holdin g for them, he slids inside and holds her in his tight embrace..........

there comes the sound of screeches of tires as the destiny takes its own course.

next frame is the same hospital, same bed where Ian was sitting a day before mourning for Samantha........but i was literaly thrown off the cliff as its not Ian any more.

Its Samantha there.......Ian is gone. He saves her and chooses his own death over hers.

this film came as jolt to me..or rather series of jolts falling on me on by one.... a non-worshipper-of-love like me couldnt hold my tears back(mind you...i still smirk at those who cry after watching KSBKBT or HAHK..).....my tears  unleashed.....why?? didnt know the reason...they were not for the film, for the characters....they were for my narrow mindness when i always thought love doesnt exists in world. its always The Deal..a simple matter of Give and Take. do i believe in love now...after witnessing something so disturbing....???? i am still not sure. i think more than just a fictional story would take me to believe in the concept of selfless love.

i will not ask many questions......just a simple one.......

If you were Ian, would you have chosen death with your Samantha than life without her??????

do answer this one as honestly as you can!!

waiting for your answer.

Mods sorry for the length....

Edited by himali_kokate - 02 May 2007 at 9:20am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

....Poojie....

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Will U Die for ur love & i mean literaly" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged
I think so.
There are exceptionally few people in that category though. immediate blood relative and soul-mate?

Himmi_K

IF-Dazzler

Himmi_K

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

I think so.
There are exceptionally few people in that category though. immediate blood relative and soul-mate?

thats great!!!

may be sometimes imagining life without that particular person itself gives you power to accept the death.........than having life without him/her

radha07

IF-Dazzler

radha07

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged
omgggg that was such a nice film review...so sad Cry
I had tears in my eyes whilst reading this!!

Im sorry i cant answer ur question...i think u can only answer it if ur actually in the same situation as Ian. Only Fate can tell what ur next move is!

Cheers,

Radha

Himmi_K

IF-Dazzler

Himmi_K

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged

Originally posted by radha07

omgggg that was such a nice film review...so sad Cry
I had tears in my eyes whilst reading this!!

Im sorry i cant answer ur question...i think u can only answer it if ur actually in the same situation as Ian. Only Fate can tell what ur next move is!

Cheers,

Radha

thanks radha

if whatever that i have written could convey even 1% of what i saw and how it affected me and my belief, i would feel satisfied.

you are may be right in saying that fate is the deciding fator but.....it was the fate for Samantha to die....and with his immense love Ian changed it!!!

something to think about..........Embarrassed

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged
thnx himali and well-said (matured thinking) radha..

there could be incidents like smaller accidents for example, and you find examples of how u reacted in order to save someone who you thought were in life-death situation.
i jumped into traffic (did once in SF for mom) and someone did similar for me- i was rescued from sort of quick sand at a lake by him. so you can tell whose insticts work to save you and who do you save instictively.
i will die fo you is so cliched FILMY, but i believe it is not an empty saying after all. Filmy is to SAY IT, Real instictive / thoughtful is to DO IT Embarrassed

Himmi_K

IF-Dazzler

Himmi_K

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

thnx himali and well-said (matured thinking) radha..

there could be incidents like smaller accidents for example, and you find examples of how u reacted in order to save someone who you thought were in life-death situation.
i jumped into traffic (did once in SF for mom) and someone did similar for me- i was rescued from sort of quick sand at a lake by him. so you can tell whose insticts work to save you and who do you save instictively.
i will die fo you is so cliched FILMY, but i believe it is not an empty saying after all. Filmy is to SAY IT, Real instictive / thoughtful is to DO IT Embarrassed

mermaid

thanks for sharing your views

what i meant to ask by that question is whether love for that one special person can overpower  love for yourself and your own life???

jumping in trouble to save your loved one would still allow you some chances of staying alive. here Ian knew that he would die saving samantha...there wont be any consession given to him on this one...and still he chose it...it was almost like suicide.....i wonder if thats the case, people would have same reaction

i remember when i was in 5th standard, we had a story in our hindi book...

its about Akbar-birbal........one day king Akbar asked his favorite minister Birbal....

what do a human or for that matter any living thing loves the most??? his own life or loved one???

Birbal said That person's own life than anything else.....Akbar disagreed.

to drive his point home Birbal made arrangements where a small monkey and its mother were trapped inside a glass encloser. slowly Birbal started filling that encloser with water. at first the mother monkey tried saving its baby...but the time she realised that only one of them can escape the situation, she chose her own life...she then stepped on its baby and rescued herself...and finaly Akbar had to agree that noone loves anyone this madly deeply and truely to surrender their own life for them...

would love to know your views........Smile

Edited by himali_kokate - 14 April 2007 at 11:41am

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top