Kollywood Masala

Tamil Film Reviews - new movies pg 34* (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 39

rhodes

rhodes

Posted: 30 April 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged
Hi meli..dear just about to post the review of Parattai..
wow ..what a coincidence..

Thanks Meli...

Just a collection of news about the movie..Parattai..

The Tamil that Dhanush and some other characters speak in the name of Thirunelveli 'slang' will make the natives of Thirunelveli squirm. The attempt looks so half baked. The technical aspects of the movie are better off not being discussed, but since we had the story review we shall have few lines to the technical crew of Parattai.

The camera handled by Velraj.R looks amateurish at best. The images are not clear, they fade and glare alternatively. He has placed his credentials under the scanner with this movie. The camera work need not be splendid or breathtaking, but at least it has to be face saving. Compare the standards of camera in Parattai with some of the other recent releases and one would stop short of calling Parattai's camera work pedestrian, even then one would have been generous.

Then we have the editing that seems to have complemented the camera work. Both the worthy technicians seem to have been in a battle of supremacy of 'who's the bigger dud'. But, they have some serious competition; Guru Kiran with his music has shocked everyone. Leave the songs alone, let's discuss the background music. Actually, there is not much to discuss, just one final word- deplorable.

All factors combine to make Parattai an experience that you have to endure rather than enjoy in theaters. It has proved to be a costly mistake. Dhanush's career will sure take a setback after the success of Thiruvilayaadal.

Another interesting point. Dhanush was so impressed with Velraj's work during the making of Parattai that he recommended Velraj's name for Polladavan. Now Velraj is handling the camera for Polladavan too!

In conclusion, this is what we have to say. Mistakes do happen, let them not be repeated. Fate does not play havoc in anyone's life as shown in Parattai. Everyone controls his own destiny. So, Dhanush better control his own and choose stories carefully. Otherwise he will become the 'Polladavan' of the industry.

Parattai: when everything goes wrong.

News : Parattai Engira Azhagu Sundaram, a much awaited movie for Danush has turned into a big disaster at the box office. Due to the lack of pep and logic in the screenplay, the movie has failed in attracting the common viewers. Even an ardent Dhanush fan doesn't find anything exhilarating in the movie.

After facing many problems, with court proceedings and counseling between the hero and the producer, the film hit the screens yesterday. But the film fails to grab the attention of viewers at any stage.

Parattai… is a remake of the Kannada hit Jogi which was produced by Keyaar only on the suggestions of superstar Rajinikanth for his son in-law Dhanush. Initially, choreographer Raju Sundaram was appointed as the director of the movie. But he withdrew from the project only after a few days shoot, and Suresh Krishna completed the remaining portion.

For Suresh Krishna, it is his 4th flop in a row after the disaster of Baba

Edited by rhodes - 30 April 2007 at 1:17pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Tamil Film Reviews - new movies pg 34* (Page 3)" in Kollywood Masala forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 04 May 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged

Movie Review

Periyar - Realistic chronicle

Director Gnanarajasekaran proved his mettle chronicling the life of poet Bharathi in his previous attempt. He has now gone a step ahead to record the happenings in the life of the rationalist leader E V R Ramasamay Naicker aka Periyar, who launched a crusade against caste and creed in Tamil Nadu.

A staunch leader with strong but often contentious approach, Periyar predominantly fought against the Brahmins. He was mentor and a role model to several Chief Ministers including Anna and M Karunanidhi. His brainchild Dravidar Kazhagam is still very active and holds a say in Tamil Nadu politics.

His legacy to the State is still a matter of debate. To have taken such a subject for cinematic exploration is in itself pretty brave. But Gnanarajasekhran plays it all safe and doesn't take extreme positions. Instead, he has almost gone for a sanitized version of a larger-than-life leader's life.

Treading a safety path, Gnanarajasekaran has taken pages from the life of Periyar, which many are familiar with. He has pepped it with drama elements to make it an engrossing tale. The script makes the move work.

Doing a movie on a leader, who has won a place for himself in the history, is no easy task. It is walking on a tightrope, a one wrong portrayal would lead to chaos. But Gnanarajasekaran has done it with aplomb.

Sathyaraj playing the role of his life has come up trumps. It is a refreshing change to see Sathyaraj in the role of Periyar. In fact, the make-up and the physical demeanor all fit him to T. He has played the role with great caution not going overboard.

Gnanarajasekaran deserves a pat for choosing artistes for all other characters. Jyothirmayi (Nagammai), Kushboo (Maniammai), directors S S Stanley (Anna), Arthikumar (Rajaji) or Vasu Vikram as M R Radha is very apt.

Those who are familiar with history and the life of Periyar would find the movie all the more interesting. Ramasamy (Sathyaraj) grows up in the family of a God-fearing Naicker family. The iconoclast in him makes him to be an atheist. He fights against social evils in his hometown Erode and eventually incurs the wrath of his father. Married to Nagammai (Jyothirmayi), Ramasamy succeeds his father in his business and also wins a name for him in the society.

Rajaji and his men persuade Periyar to join Congress. However with his demand for reservation for the backward classes rejected at Congress meetings, he is forced to come out of Congress to launch a crusade against Brahmin domination in the society.

His spearheads Vaikom, protest against toddy shops and soon floats Dravidar Kazhagam.

His proteges Anna Durai and M Karunanidhi, after developing differences on certain issues float Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and ends up capturing power in Tamil Nadu only with a vision to realize Periyar's dreams. They still command a respect for Periyar.

Until his last breath, Ramasamy, who was fondly called by his followers as Periyar, continues his crusade against upper class.

The intimacy shared between Rajaji and Periyar, though they have different ideals, Gandhiji's respect for Periyar among others have been narrated well on the screen.

Sathyraj is decidedly top class. That he is a real-life follower of Periyar makes matters easy for him. His conviction shines all through.

Kushboo and Jyothirmayi are inspired choices as they fit the role very aptly.

Vidyasagar's background score gives a fillip. He has used instruments that were prevalent during Periyar days. Equally appealing is Thangar Bachan's cinematography. B Lenin's crisp editing and Vairamuthu's hard-hitting lyrics against caste systems sits well on the screen.

Amidst regular cinema, Periyar ushers a fresh feel thanks mainly to director Gnanarajasekaran's hard work.

Edited by meli - 04 May 2007 at 8:18am

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 04 May 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged
I am early waiting to see Periyar movie as I dont know so much about him and his politics, si I am interested to know that Wink

kabee

IF-Dazzler

kabee

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged
thanx 4 review.i watched unnale unnale, its good movie but i didn't like the ending. it was so sad Cry

Nantheni_PR

Nantheni_PR

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 2:21am | IP Logged
I did watch Unnale Unnale over the weekend, I like to movie. It have an different & quite interesting ending.

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:01am | IP Logged
yupe, the ending was unpredictable, I liked the movie too Big smile

spain

spain

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Could someone please give away the detailed ending of "unnale unnale"? I know the basic storyline, but I heard it has a shocking climax. Something to do with unrequited love, I heard. Could someone please tell how the movie ends?

Plus could someone let me know what is the climax of "Paruthiveeran"? Do the lovers die at the end? Why did many people find the ending repulsive while the others said it was a classic? What happens at the end of the movie?

I don't have time to watch movies, so hope someone will fill in the details. Thanks. Embarrassed

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged

I would request any one posting anything about a movie - say, revealing a climax, ending or anything pivotal to the core of the movie, or even to say something like it's a sad ending or whatever (anything that gives away about how the movie finishes, especially a new movie) to
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PUT A SPOILER WARNING BEFORE YOUR COMMENTS.

Example:

****** SPOILER WARNING ********

It would help people like me to skip that section of the post or comment, who are yet to watch the movie to be kept in suspense till we actually finish seeing it. Some reviewers are careful to not let any spoilers in their review, while others put a spoiler warning. It helps either way.

I would appreciate if you guys keep it in mind.
Thank you!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top