Sports/Cricket

Younis questions if he shud continue!!!!!

mini2390 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Younis rejects captaincy offer!

Karachi - Experienced Pakistan batsman Younis Khan turned down the chance to captain the national team after Inzamam-ul-Haq quit following their dismal CWC performance.

Younis told national daily "Express" that he had informed the Pakistan Cricket Board

"They offered me the captaincy with full powers. The PCB said they would also be appointing a strong selection committee to back me up. But I refused after thanking them for their offer," Younis said.

Younis has been vice-captain to Inzamam since 2005.

"I am still hurt and upset at the sort of hostile reception we have got since returning from the World Cup," he said.

"I have always given 100% for my country. But when your family gets threatening calls and our effigies are burnt and our pictures put on donkeys. Than I can't lead the team in such circumstances," he added.

Younis said respect for his family was far more important than the Pakistan captaincy, also denying that he had asked the board for additional powers and called for certain players to be dropped.

"I made no such demand," he said, adding that he would decide soon whether to quit one-day internationals.

"I think Test matches are real cricket and I will decide soon if I should continue to play one-day internationals," he said.

He advised the PCB against taking any hasty decisions to ensure Pakistan cricket recovered from the World Cup debacle.

Younis also criticised the Jamaican authorities and police for treating the players like criminals following the death of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer.

He said the players had spent one of the worst week's of their lives after Woolmer's death.

Woolmer was found unconscious in his hotel room and died later in hospital on March 18, one day after Pakistan were beaten by Ireland and eliminated from the World Cup.

Jamaican authorities are treating his death as a murder.

"At one stage I got so angry with the way we were being treated I told the Jamaican authorities we are international cricketers not criminals," Younis said.

"I told them why are you suspecting us of murdering Woolmer. In him we have lost a father figure."

Younis also said that on the day of their departure, the hotel management made the team vacate their rooms in Montego Bay at 06:00 in the morning.

"They said this is our check-out time," Younis said.

News24/Reuters

Edited by mini2390 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mini2390 thumbnail
he rejected it again now???... and y is younis questioning if he shud even continue or not????? i believe younis shud stop thinking this way and move one, i dont wnat younis to leeave odis!!!!! 😭 ... hope he doznt think lyk this continously!
*Fiza* thumbnail
omgggggggg!!!
             Is he going to quit the ODI's? 😭 😭 😭 ... if he isn't going to be the captain then who wud be???... 😕 ..I guess most players aren't interesed in being the captain after the WC...But i really hope tht he continues to play the ODI... pak team is going through a bad time.. 😭
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Now what? Pakistan should change the team anyway.
Russell2k5 thumbnail
They should make Abdul Razzak the Captain.
farisss4 thumbnail
well we have to understand him as well..cricket is not everything..u will have to think of ure family as well...thnks to the disgusting things done by our people... 😊
nightangel thumbnail
younis also rejected???? 😳
coolsonu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I hope Younis continues in ODI's even if he doesnt do captaincy....though I also hope that he accepts captaincy! 😳
kothra thumbnail
Omg?..What is happening to our team nw?...
I dnt knw who wil b the next captain but younis was a good n better choice
Sallu_King thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I Don't Want Younis To Go He Is A Great Player 😛