Sports/Cricket

BRIAN LARA RETIRES! LOOKKKK

WillSmith456 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Lara confirms one-day retirement

Lara plans to continue playing Test cricket

West Indies captain Brian Lara has confirmed his retirement from one-day internationals after the World Cup.

Tuesday's loss to South Africa all but eliminated the West Indies from the tournament and the 37-year-old said it would be the end of his one-day career.

"I honestly feel my game is over and we should give it to one of the young players," he said.

"After the World Cup our next one-day tournament is in June in England and I'd love to sit back and watch."

West Indies have got two matches remaining in the Super 8s, against Bangladesh and England, but the defeat by South Africa ended any realistic chance of making the semi-finals.

Lara, who has vowed to carry on playing Test cricket past his 40th birthday, said he wanted to leave the one-day team on a high note.
 606: DEBATE
Is Lara right to retire?

"I want to leave a team that play better. And that is still my hope. These might be my last two one-day internationals but I still want to see the team moving out of this competition learning something from it and that's all I can hope for," he said.

"It's demoralising yes but I want to see certain things happen and I want to see the team move on."

Lara has played in 297 one-day internationals since his debut against Pakistan in Karachi in 1990.

He has scored 10,354 runs, at an average of 40.60, and his highest one-day score is 169.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Ah well..He can carry on with Test Cricket..its better for him anyway..its time for younger players in one dayers
farisss4 thumbnail
yes..but yet anoder great cricketer retires... 😛
nightangel thumbnail
indian's have to learn 4m him.. 😉
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
awh..well hope he still rocks in test matches!!

we will miss him though!!
Sarz thumbnail
yup..Hes a fantastic player..But I think his time is over in ODI.He was just staying bak for the WC.Hopefully Sarwan can take over the side and lead it with success.
mini2390 thumbnail
i think only players themselves know wen they can finally say its time to go...... but, a true legend indeed! 👏 👏 👏 ... will truly be missed!
kothra thumbnail
lara has been one of the great players..
its good he is gng to continue n play test cricket
-Kash- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: kothra

lara has been one of the great players..
its good he is gng to continue n play test cricket

YEAH