India as a developed nation....

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

are we on right track towards that long cherished goal of ours?

First of all what is development?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/developm ent/developmentwhatisitrev1.shtml

Development means ''improvement in a country's economic and social conditions''. More specifically, it refers to improvements in ways of managing an area's natural and human resources in order to create wealth and improve people's lives.

Geographers often compare levels of development in between different countries or regions and the people who live in them - talking about more economically-developed countries or MEDCs and less economically-developed countries or LEDCs. Development can be considered in terms of either economic or human development, and ways of measuring development are called development indicators.

There are many different ways of considering development, but the two most important are economic development and human development.

Economic development is a measure of how wealthy a country is - and of how this wealth is generated (for example agriculture is considered less economically advanced then banking).

Human development measures the extent to which people have access to wealth, jobs, knowledge, nutrition, health, leisure and safety - as well as political and cultural freedom. The more material elements in this list, such as wealth and nutrition, are often grouped together under the heading standard of living. The less material elements, such as health and leisure, are often referred to as quality of life.

Which of the two, do you think we should focus more in order to achieve our goals?

I personally feel we have almost ignored Human development in our blind persuit of Economic development, how much do we spend on Education, on Social sector, on Health, on basic amenities etc? And we also seem to relate "development" solely with Economic development which is only one of the many indicators. Infact I would put Human development above Economic development but ofcourse both are closely tied to each other.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Deepak, we would have been on the "right track" if our politicians were not so corrupt. There still are plenty of resources in India for her to be considered the developed nation. We just need to change the mindset of "chalta hai", "jugaad ker lengey", "kharcha-pani dey dengey" and the corrupt politicians.
mcm226 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
nice topic solidsnake 👏 👏

i agree with u,now v shud concentrate on human dev.....agar human dev.hogi to aage chalkar apneaap economical dev.bhi hogi,dono ek-dusre se jude huwe hai........India me corruption ke alawa sabse badi problem aaye din badhti hui population ki hai....world ka 2.4% land hai humara but world ke total pop.ka 15% pop.humare yaha hai,ab khud hi andaza laga sakte hai ..........saari progress badhti hup pop.ki waja se kam ho jaati hai..India ki agar land ke percentage ke barabar hoti to abtak hum bohat aage nikal gaye hote......Asia me hi nahi hum world me bhi top pe hote har field me...............itni badhti hui pop.ko basic cheeze provide karna bhi mushkil hota jaa raha hai..education,health facilities,employment dena itne bade pop.wakai me tough kaam hai.....zaahir hai jabtak pop.ko lekar koi strict measure nahi lete tabtak yuhi humko picchadna padega,aur pop.ke liye koi bhi govt. strict measures nahi lete coz unko apna vote bank gawana nahi hota hai...China me jaise 'no child year' hota hai waisa India me bhi ho to kitna achha ho,naye naye schemes implement kare pop.ko kam karne ke liye............

but still..........still..........India ne acchi progress ki hai,economically to right path pe hai aisa mujhe lagta hai.....Mittal ne Arcelor par,TATA ne Tetly tea par kabza jamaya hai......Ranbaxy,Reliance,Infosys,wipro sab tarikki par hai.......foreign countries ab ziada se ziada paisa invest kar rahe hai India me......wo din door nahi hai jab London ke Leadenhall street pe East India comp.ki baagdor hum Indians ke hatho me aaye(badle ki bhawna thik nahi,but i want Indians to own this compnay some day 😳 ....))............economic front to right path pe,right direction me hai bas ab humari govt.ko strict measures lete huwe human dev.ki aur dhyaan dena hoga..................i'm very optimistic abt India's progress............LONG LIVE INDIA.........
zoobygoo thumbnail
Human development is more important. Otherwise, India can end up like China. China, I would say, is economically strong but the standard of living was very poor not so long ago.
sareg thumbnail
For the politicians in India human development means more reservations, have enough of those already

No thanks
I will live by the economic development
If the economy grows
more jobs will come to India
more jobs
more employment for people,
more employment, more people will put their kids through school
more kids go to school, more educated we become
more educated we become more human development we will see

Originally posted by: sareg

For the politicians in India human development means more reservations, have enough of those already

No thanks
I will live by the economic development
If the economy grows
more jobs will come to India
more jobs
more employment for people,
more employment, more people will put their kids through school
more kids go to school, more educated we become
more educated we become more human development we will see

Vinit, the problem is that even with the economic jobs, more jobs are coming for only the educated class.  The poor are getting poorer and the divide between rich and poor is widening day by day.  This is leading to high crime rate.  Reservation is not the only way for human development as creamy layers reap 99% of the benefits.  But we all know that reservation is just a ploy to ensure vote banks by whom......CORRUPT POLITICIANS.

Therefore, I would say change the whole mindset and start working on fixing the human capital active in politics😆 Jab tak woh detox nahi hongey, aam janata ka bhala nahi hoga aur jab tak aam janta ka bhala nahi hoga desh ka bhala bhala kaisey hoga😕

sareg thumbnail
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Vinit, the problem is that even with the economic jobs, more jobs are coming for only the educated class.  The poor are getting poorer and the divide between rich and poor is widening day by day.  This is leading to high crime rate.  Reservation is not the only way for human development as creamy layers reap 99% of the benefits.  But we all know that reservation is just a ploy to ensure vote banks by whom......CORRUPT POLITICIANS.

Therefore, I would say change the whole mindset and start working on fixing the human capital active in politics😆 Jab tak woh detox nahi hongey, aam janata ka bhala nahi hoga aur jab tak aam janta ka bhala nahi hoga desh ka bhala bhala kaisey hoga😕

that is the problem, there is no politician out there who would take the "reservation" bull by the horn, the public has no inclination to teach the politician a lesson, you know my school teacher used to say this country needs a military ruler😆 to get out of this mess and that was a couple decade's ago and we still are getting worser 

honestly I think we are stuck in a chakravuah arranged by the politicians and there is no Abhimanyu or a Arjuna in sight

some day I will open up a thread to open a discussion on how we can change the political system and you will see how bereft of idea's we are

We have proven the poor are not going to elect politicians who pull us out of this mess, let us see if the rich can elect politicians who pull us out of this

that is why I went the other direction on this, non-humanitarian, non PC, but that is the only choice in my opinion

@Vinit: You know when I was in college back in the early 90's, one of our professors used to get so mad at us as none of us has an ambition to become a politician. She used to say that unless educated middle class enters in to politics and become part of the policymakers, nothing will change. But who would enter politics, stay honest, and then get murdered by the corrupt politicians.....not me.

So yes, I see your point of view. Lots of ideas may be there to change the system but none passes the threshold because no one wants to face the repurcussions at the hands of reigning gundas in the very beginning. After all, billi key galey mein ghanti kaun bandhey....now billi will curse me for insulting her 😆 Edited by Gauri_3 - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
nice debate there Vineet & Gauri! got nothing more to add.
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Nice Topic!

Looking forward for the views of esteemed members !

wishes,

Myth