CONTRIBUTION OF SERIALS TO SOCIETY - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by kusum-lata

Hi Friends,

I m a new member of this forum.

how rare an uncorrupted mind๐Ÿ˜‰

I m a constant viewer of the serials.

well you came to the right place, we discuss serials like no other place๐Ÿ˜†

One question that keeps me haunting(โ“) is that does the current saas-bahu serials have something to contribute to the society as such.

I got to see the other side of a woman, not literal yaar, figurative,  ....... that is a wrong word too ........., I guess , but I hope you got what I meant, jyada explain nahi karunga๐Ÿ˜†

I remember, during Doordarshan days the serials had a social message. yaad hai muzhe woh Bhoole Bhisre din

The other thing which disturbs me a lot is that in all the family dramas men as such don't have much role to play than women.

they play it in real life, , and actually men in the TV serial love their role, when the lady of the house enters, get up from the sofa, she says one word, collapse on the sofa, the TV is always at the back of the leading lady, so the viewer thinks the man is listening to the lady

so I think the men are happy

Is it that men has nothing to do with family matters?

like? jhadu bartan๐Ÿ˜•, no actually they have a lot to do with family matters, they go around having affairs and illegitamate children(in the serial yaar, in real life they will get k.i.l.l.e.d for that)

Kusum Lata

nice names, are you like conjoined twins๐Ÿ˜•

no offense

Originally posted by ani11

I don't know about the society but they've had a very positive affect on me...........i have completely stopped watching them so that i spend more time with my family and IF...... ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Good one.

Originally posted by Maya_M

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Good one.

๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
,Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
Originally posted by sareg

Kusum Lata

nice names, are you like conjoined twins๐Ÿ˜•

๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†reminds me of the movie Me, myself and Irene..

Originally posted by Ektas_Angel

I dont think serials are made to contribute to society just to entertain people.People have different reasons i suppose for watching the serials.All serials show good and bad so in the end dont really contribute at all.

I absolutely agree๐Ÿ˜ณ

Why don't people realise the serials do not depict real life??๐Ÿ˜’
I got this from the IF Newsroom:

Teenager kills self after aping TV serial scene

Kanpur, April 10 (IANS) Aping a scene from a popular TV serial led a 13-year-old boy to commit suicide by hanging himself in his home in Kanpur.

According to police, the boy, identified as Pankaj, used a bed sheet to hang himself while the rest of his family was away Monday.

'He followed exactly the same technique as he had witnessed an actor doing so in a TV serial the previous day,' a police official said.

'His sister Archana confirmed to us that after watching the suicide scene in the serial, he had a long discussion with her on the scene,' he added.

The boy was a class eight student of the Motilal Memorial School in the Kalyanpur area in this industrial hub.

His body has been sent for post-mortem.
Dear Friends,

First of all i would just like to clarify that Kusum Lata is one person's name and not two. Well, to continue with the disussion, I do agree that soaps are made for the entertainment. But is it that entertainment has nothing to contribute to the society? How to see the Doordarshan soaps? Were they not entertaining and educating as well on the issues like family planning, dowry, alcoholism etc.

I will also point out that whatever we are provided on the screen in the name of entertainment ultimately takes the themes from the real lives. For example, during Doordarshan days Kalyani of Udaan was shown undergoing a tough fight for her entry into Police. But now-a-days in serials like Saara Akash Monika does not undergo that much of struggle for her entry into Air Force. This, according to me, indicates to the fact that now we have mroe number of women opting professions which were earlier consdiered as male-dominated.

I think it has become a long email. Any ways, would love to have your comments.

Kusum

Hi honey...

I do think that Serials definitely affect the Society (adversely or not is one's individual POV)

Personally I feel that in a country like our's where literacy is low and the reach of movies is not as widespread, TV is the only medium that reaches most households (including remote villages). Also, I feel that media is a reflection of the society and vice versa. Hence the responsibility of educating the society lies largely on this form of media.

In today's daily soaps, we see a man married X number of times, a wife who has EMA (extra martial affair), sister plotting against brother, etc. on a regular basis. I do not say that this is not happening in our society, but in serials the percent is as high as 99%, and in real life it is maybe 10% (I am almost certain this is exagerated). And to an average mind, this is the reality, the stuff we see daily. Can we blame an average person, if he says that the city dwellers and monied people have two wives and still sleep with their own Sister in law, so why cant I?

Also, NRI and foreign (not of Indian origin) audiences today form a large % of viewers to the serials. This is the India that is being presented to them by the most widely form of media. No wonder parents are having a hard time teaching their children Indian Values....the children are smart enough to see that serials show what they see on their regular channels. Can we blame the kids for not having the foresight that this is only fictional?

My biggest concern about Indian TV is the distortion of reality to the extent that it is becoming disgusting. Medical facts, legal facts nothing is ever researched. Portraying Rape on TV is okay as long as it is dealt with in a responsible manner, but instead of legal steps like reporting it, punishing the rapist using legal help, what do we see. The mother kills her son (KSBKBT), the rapist (KS) is brought back the victim's house and led to believe that she is the victim by none other than the victim's own sister. Is this what we want people to learn from such a cruel situation?

I know in the US there was an act passed a while ago, to make TV a more educative medium, making it responsible to show things after enough research has been done.

I wish something of this sort is done in India. Soon!!!

Rivs

Originally posted by rivya

Hi honey...

I do think that Serials definitely affect the Society (adversely or not is one's individual POV)

Personally I feel that in a country like our's where literacy is low and the reach of movies is not as widespread, TV is the only medium that reaches most households (including remote villages). Also, I feel that media is a reflection of the society and vice versa. Hence the responsibility of educating the society lies largely on this form of media.

In today's daily soaps, we see a man married X number of times, a wife who has EMA (extra martial affair), sister plotting against brother, etc. on a regular basis. I do not say that this is not happening in our society, but in serials the percent is as high as 99%, and in real life it is maybe 10% (I am almost certain this is exagerated). And to an average mind, this is the reality, the stuff we see daily. Can we blame an average person, if he says that the city dwellers and monied people have two wives and still sleep with their own Sister in law, so why cant I?

Also, NRI and foreign (not of Indian origin) audiences today form a large % of viewers to the serials. This is the India that is being presented to them by the most widely form of media. No wonder parents are having a hard time teaching their children Indian Values....the children are smart enough to see that serials show what they see on their regular channels. Can we blame the kids for not having the foresight that this is only fictional?

My biggest concern about Indian TV is the distortion of reality to the extent that it is becoming disgusting. Medical facts, legal facts nothing is ever researched. Portraying Rape on TV is okay as long as it is dealt with in a responsible manner, but instead of legal steps like reporting it, punishing the rapist using legal help, what do we see. The mother kills her son (KSBKBT), the rapist (KS) is brought back the victim's house and led to believe that she is the victim by none other than the victim's own sister. Is this what we want people to learn from such a cruel situation?

I know in the US there was an act passed a while ago, to make TV a more educative medium, making it responsible to show things after enough research has been done.

I wish something of this sort is done in India. Soon!!!

Rivs

I whole heartedly agree with you on this dear.

The television media, as its more easily avaiable and viewed by more prople then the movies should be very, very responsible in what ever they are dishing out to the people as the viewers is not only made up of adults who may know right from wrong but impressionable young minds too, you see such crap shown to them and think......aww...so this is normal, there nothing wrong in it.

K-Serials show so much negativity in there show, that if one even looks for the positive , one can never find it. Why so much negativity???

Take KSBKBT, they had nothing to show t moave the story ahead so they show a Rape scene again and this time every innocent person is balmed and the real culprit is a person suffering from MS. A person with MS , commitiiong rape. Completley mockery of medical facts and information.

Instead of showing the victim of rape going to the police or the doctor to get her self checked, is driving around in a car, why not take the car to the doctor???? To get her self examined filing a case.????

Then an other drama KGGK where Parvarti the self sacrificing bahu is falsely accused of murdering her own husband by her In-laws and after  all this comes back to take revenge in another identity. Now how many woman in real life would come back with a new identity???

Then in KS , a sister rapes her own mother like sisters husband by drugging him and through out the drama the man who is the victim her is made to feel guilty and the Rapist is moving around scotch free ??? What message are we sending here???? That a Male Rapist is more guilty then a Femal Rapist!!!! Isn't rape the most henious crime against a person physicallly and mentally and the victims be it male or female suffer the same agaony, then why the treatment so different. Are we trying to tell the society that its okay to be a Female Rapsit !!!!!

In every drama the husband has extra-materital affairs and has an illegimate child , the female has multiple husbands and fiances at the same time with 5 to 10 admireres thrown in too.

The serial makers while provinding entertainement should be more responsible , by making sure that they provide the correct facts, informations, pretaining to equal right, medical, law, and make it clear why is right and what is wrong etc.

Krishna

Edited by kubare - 17 years ago