Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Juvenile Death Sentence..Need Help

dazzlingdesi IF-Dazzler
dazzlingdesi
dazzlingdesi

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged

Hey guys,

I usually don't post in the DM section, but usually read most of the debates...for my AP English class I have to write a debate about an issue...and the issue that I chose to write about is:

Juvenile Death Penalty

These are what the people against and people who support the issue have to say:

• Critics of the juvenile death penalty say: Because juveniles' brains are not yet fully developed and juveniles are less mature than adults, they should not be punished as adults. National consensus now recognizes the juvenile death penalty to be cruel and unusual punishment, so the practice should be declared unconstitutional.
  •  

• Supporters of the juvenile death penalty say: Punishment should be based not on age but on the severity of the crime. Most young people understand that crimes such as murder are wrong. Also, the threat of being sentenced to death for certain crimes acts as a strong deterrent for would-be offenders.
  • I have chosen to be the critic and will take the stand in my essay that I don't support that Juveniles should be given death sentence....but I wanted to know from you guys on what you think about this issue so I can have more detailes to include in my essay.....I will post my essay and the examples I have used to support my statement...and i'll post that once i am done typing the essay....if you want more information on this issue.....heres the webiste that my teacher gave...so heres the link:

http://www.2facts.com/ICOF/Search/i1000010.asp

Thankz a lot and I appreciate all the help I can get in writing my essay

~Rashi~

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
    qwertyesque
    qwertyesque

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
    Death penalty shouldnt be given. Most crimes committed by juveniles is more likely under peer pressure, morbid curiosity..sham rage so its veri difficult to establish motive... Punishment should always be for the culpability and not the act...with exception of bizarre acts if committed.. Like instead of shooting someone the juvenile... cuts him to pieces...

Always it should be about establishing motive and propensities beyond reasonable doubt....

People who recommend death for juvenile crimes dont are looking at the act rather than the motive... Smile

Edited by qwertyesque - 07 April 2007 at 12:39pm
    dazzlingdesi IF-Dazzler
    dazzlingdesi
    dazzlingdesi

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Death penalty shouldnt be given. Most crimes committed by juveniles is more likely under peer pressure, morbid curiosity..sham rage so its veri difficult to establish motive... Punishment should always be for the culpability and not the act...with exception of bizarre acts if committed.. Like instead of shooting someone the juvenile... cuts him to pieces...

Always it should be about establishing motive and propensities beyond reasonable doubt....

People who recommend death for juvenile crimes dont are looking at the act rather than the motive... Smile

Thankz for your response...actually in my essay I am going to provided evidence for some child killing cases, where the murder was committed due to the enviroment in which they grew up, which was mostly of parents who physically abused their kids, which forced them to be cruel to others

~Rashi~

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
    qwertyesque
    qwertyesque

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
    Originally posted by dazzlingdesi

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Thankz for your response...actually in my essay I am going to provided evidence for some child killing cases, where the murder was committed due to the enviroment in which they grew up, which was mostly of parents who physically abused their kids, which forced them to be cruel to others

~Rashi~

Right.. I mean either they can go to the mental asylum or correction center.. .but definitely not death...

sareg IF-Dazzler
    sareg
    sareg

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged
    I kind of disagree, the judiciary should be able to carry a stick of Death Penalty in all situations

Suppose you have kids like the Columbine kids going and shooting up a school, Or some kid goes and shoots a cop. For that there should be a death penalty

With indiscipline in kids growing, kids getting more and more voilent, you need to have the legal system to say to "everyone" if the crime fits the mould, you have a death penalty waiting for you, no exception, think before you commit a crime
    • Page 1 of 1

Go to top