Sports/Cricket

'It hurts when the coach questions ......

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

#1 polaris

#1 polaris

Posted: 03 April 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged
'It hurts when the coach questions our attitude' - Tendulkar

Cricinfo staff

April 4, 2007

In a statement that is likely to have a large bearing on the immediate future of Indian cricket, Sachin Tendulkar has revealed that India's cricketers would be most disappointed with Greg Chappell, the coach, if he questioned their attitude.

In a rare public outburst, Tendulkar, not known to air his views on controversial issues, expressed his anguish. " Paani sar se ooncha ho gaya hai (Things have gone a bit too far to keep quiet). I've given my heart and my soul for 17 years. No coach had mentioned even in passing that my attitude was not correct," Tendulkar told Times of India. "Cricket has been my life for all these years and will always be."

His statements come in the wake of reports that many members in the team have rallied together against Chappell and Dravid and want Tendulkar to take up their case to the board. Cricinfo had reported on the crisis in the team , one largely owing to the rift between Chappell and the senior players, and Tendulkar's statements reinforce the players' stance.

"Tell me, the world has gone on talking about all this [our defeat and exit] but has anybody spared a thought for us?," asked an emotional Tendulkar. "Did they try to find out what we have been going through? I am shattered beyond words and I feel helpless. I've never felt so bad in my entire career ... The World Cup was our passion, our collective goal, our dream and that has been shattered

Tendulkar took responsibility for the World Cup debacle but responded to what he perceived as a slight to his commitment. "Again, it's not that we are defending ourselves. We do realise that we played badly and, as a team, we take full responsibility for that. But what hurt us most is if the coach has questioned our attitude."

The Indian board's working committee meets on April 7, following the meeting of the review committee the day before. It is expected that Chappell's report, due to be submitted to the board before April 6, will be scathing in its criticism of the attitude of the senior players including Sourav Ganguly, Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh. The working committee meeting will be attended by BCCI's office-bearers and seven former captains, including Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Ravi Shastri and S Venkatraghavan.

Cricinfo

Guys i think we need a new coach.... i really hate this chappel..

what do you guys think?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "'It hurts when the coach questions ......" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

amu682

amu682

Posted: 03 April 2007 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
Thak u so much for posting this article. Yup! HIGH time Chappel is shown the door. I never have believed a word Chappel says... he has really been the reason for creating the rift in the team. When Sachin comes out with such strong reactions for the 1st time in 17 years of his career... we know WHO the culprit is. I am so glad Sachin spoke not only for himself and for the all the players whose integrity is questioned... it still proves that there is very much a team spirit among our guys... we shouldnt allow anyone to chatter it.

Chappel has made a laughing stock out of Indian Cricket by his continous publicity gimmicks... we should show him the door before he causes any further damage.

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 12:15am | IP Logged
oh thansks alor for sharing this with us Smile Smile

Howlarious

IF-Addictz

Howlarious

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 1:26am | IP Logged
Get him out LOL

nightangel

IF-Sizzlerz