quotas in higher education...my view

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 16 years ago

its been a huge and extended debate for the past 6 mths or more..am posting this topic nw since the Supreme Courts verdict has refuelled the issue..

todays newspaper mentions tht the congress said tht a new caste based census now will fuel disharmony amongst the indian society..n affect the peace and harmony.pray wudnt a caste based quota fuel disharmony???ever since the issue started it has only created discord between people..and as far as peace is concerned,maybe lathi charging medical and engineering students(female included) was a way to propagate peace..

they say tht quota in postgraduate institutes will uplift the backward classes..the people who need it the most cant even afford high school education..so hw will postgraduate reservations uplift them?let our bkwrd-people loving govt first deal wid tht minor hurdle of educating them till they reach graduation..thn maybe postgraduation reservation wil help our society..

ok lets assume tht the reservations are implemented..most of the non creamy layer cant afford the fee structure of the elite institutes..so nw wot?those seats will not b filled..our govt came up wid the logic tht this is obvious unless the creamy layer is also allowed to benefit from the quota..so lets allow the creamy layer as well..even if they are rich enugh to buy those same seats frm management quota..bt no..they r a backward class..even if they r economically not backward..they r needed to lead the other obcs..fwd among bkwrd..

the major problem among the graduation and postgraduation aspirants is tht many desreving candidates cant afford the fees of the institutes..the govt shud try make it easier for these students.nt pave way for the creamy layer of the obcs to get seats tht they dnt deserve..wid the huge competition in the entrance exams nw,ths jst serves to build up frustration among all students..

general category students are nt selfish brats who cnt bear to let obcs prosper,as mentioned by polticians and reservation supporting grps..v r very ordinary people frm the middle class,who have neither major money to buy seats from management or under-the-table merit seats,nor any caste based reservation to ensure post graduate seats..we hv only our crdibility to account for..plz dnt take tht away frm us..dnt subject education to vote bank politics..

Yup, the quota debate has been on for quite a while now. I love how you ended your view with, 'don't subject education to vote bank politics'. Thatr's very well said and it also explains the cause behind pushing the quotas-votes!

I don't have a problem with quota, but i think the creamy layer of the OBC's etc should be excluded from getting the benefit. If that's too hard to do, have financial situation based quotes where you keep quotas for the poor. That makes more sense.

Not only does quota system at higher level bring down the quality of students, it also hardly does any good to obc's etc cause most such quotes are bagged by the creamy layer of such classes.

The only thing we can do is, study for your own good! sinc voices have failed!
thnx so much for replying..i agree,financial based reservations and concessions and scholarships are the call of the day..its so sad tht the govt is so wrapped up in their race for power tht they do not realise hw many lives and careers they r playing wid..people r always writing and talking abt both high profile people and below poverty line people but forget abt the middle class which serves as the bulk of tax paying population in the country..nt to mention the class tht all the expts r done on..whether the quotas where none of us fit in,or the increasing taxes,or the water n electricity cuts..the list is endless..n it was really starting to frustrate the hell out of me..the forum gave me a way to vent it out..thanx a lot..

Originally posted by anu rulz

people r always writing and talking abt both high profile people and below poverty line people but forget abt the middle class which serves as the bulk of tax paying population in the country..nt to mention the class tht all the expts r done on..whether the quotas where none of us fit in,or the increasing taxes,or the water n electricity cuts..the list is endless..n it was really starting to frustrate the hell out of me..the forum gave me a way to vent it out..thanx a lot..

I also think very soon hindus will have no seats lefts for them, cause we have quotes for christian,muslim, and what other minorities, its definitely sad.

See we middle class get squeezed in between cause the rich don't care, and the poor get benefits and middle class has the least say because we have the attitude of -'mera ghar chal raha hai na?-bas!'..we aren't united!