Page 4 of 7

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 7
Page 5 Page 7

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged
I haven't been to India in a really, really long time and I have this question that's been bugging me every time I think about it. Any tip would be appreciated.

When you guys go to India, especially from the US, how do you use your $ there? I am not terribly sure about using Credit cards there in the jewellery stores. I've heard of credit card fraud earlier. I am absolutely clueless about the transfer of money (especially I would hate to spend too much on commission where they exchange USD for INR). I am planning to do a lot of big money shopping when I go this year (hopefully).
Any ideas how this can be done efficiently, any one?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "India Shopping (Page 4)" in Other Topics forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

madumithas

madumithas

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged
Jenim,

I usually use my credit cards only! i hope someone anwers your questions. Its informative for everyone.

Madhu

madumithas

madumithas

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Valayal Vangalayo Valayal

Guys,

i heard about this place in Prince plaza....that have a few bangle stores. You have to take your dresses and they will match the exact color for you.

Madhu

Edited by madumithas - 05 April 2007 at 7:43am

rsripal

rsripal

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged
hi,
i think there are some places where we can exchange our dollars into indian rupees. i hope we can do even in the airport.enjoy shopping.
rajshree

Wingy

Wingy

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged
Hi Jenim- CC's are good. But see if you can transfer some funds to your Indian bank account. You may have to check out the junk fees though and also check the exchange rate that day.

dasa1

Goldie

dasa1

Posted: 07 April 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged
Just for information, I usually transfer to my bank account in India and then use the debit card from the bank. Transfer to India is done from here within 24 hours at a very nominal charge.I am also reluctant to use the credit card in all sundry places.

To change currency, better to do in reputed money exchanges like Thomas cook or LKP and avoid hotels to avoid getting ripped off.

You can see some money changers in chennai here --

http://www.spiritofchennai.com/service/fcurr1.htm

atina

IF-Veteran Member

atina

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 12:05am | IP Logged
I have never visited this thread...since I was too busy with other stuff. Today being free of serials etc...I though I will pay a visit and I have no regrets...

My god so much of information....I am going to infia in May-June and some infor like jil jil etc....are use ful. ( Wingy ...I like your oosi paasi thingy as jenim mentioned ha ha ha)

Yes Narayana Pearls is a good place...I have bought some semi precious stone set from there....( onyx and garnet etc) Thay are really good.

The saree shop Sygnora is not new....I use to buy from then in 1990s.....( from there nungam paakam branch)

Can anyone suggest a good dress tailor....My daughter wants to stich some nice suits and dresses for her.....designed by herself....

Edited by atina - 08 April 2007 at 12:06am

atina

IF-Veteran Member

atina

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 12:09am | IP Logged
for money exchange as dasa suggested it is better to go to a reliable joints....

But if you really know someone who deals with this foregin exchange privately then you can go for it....when you change a lot of money...it does make a difference.....

Edited by atina - 08 April 2007 at 12:36am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top