Other Topics

India Shopping - Page 4

atina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
I have never visited this thread...since I was too busy with other stuff. Today being free of serials etc...I though I will pay a visit and I have no regrets...

My god so much of information....I am going to infia in May-June and some infor like jil jil etc....are use ful. ( Wingy ...I like your oosi paasi thingy as jenim mentioned ha ha ha)

Yes Narayana Pearls is a good place...I have bought some semi precious stone set from there....( onyx and garnet etc) Thay are really good.

The saree shop Sygnora is not new....I use to buy from then in 1990s.....( from there nungam paakam branch)

Can anyone suggest a good dress tailor....My daughter wants to stich some nice suits and dresses for her.....designed by herself....

Edited by atina - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
for money exchange as dasa suggested it is better to go to a reliable joints....

But if you really know someone who deals with this foregin exchange privately then you can go for it....when you change a lot of money...it does make a difference.....

Edited by atina - 17 years ago
madumithas thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Has anybody shopped in these FABINDIA stores?

jenim thumbnail
Thanks Madhu, Rajshree, Wingy, Dasa & Atina for your very valuable input.

Ok I'm going to summarize (pls correct me if I'm wrong).
If there's anything else, please add to this.

* Money exchange can be done at the airport, but for huge money transfers, it's going to be expensive.
And in Money exchange spots like Thomas Cook - are they just as expensive as in airports?

* Using CCs at reputed, reliable stores is OK.

* It is better to transfer money before visiting India to an account in India (I'll come back to this later) and then use their debit cards for your shopping needs.

* Even better is to find a private and reliable money exchange place for better rates. (Atina, I'll surely get back to you on this 😉

jenim thumbnail
Dasa and others -

May be I'm going too far with this. Please feel free if you don't want to/don't have an answer, but I really have no idea, hence my questions.

If I don't have an account in India and I'm not an Indian citizen, is there a way an account can be opened, which will save me some money in transfer?

Atina - by any chance do you know offhand, is there a limit on how much (USD) we are allowed to bring to India when we fly?

Thank you very much, guys.

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Jenim,
Its right, you should stay away from Thomas Cook and others because of the high charge. If you take with you more than 10 000 USD in travellers cheques or over 5000 USD in notes , then you have to declare it on the customs .

They do have a small western union branch in Paaris near Bandi Bazar area, they do exchange for good rates, my parents use that whenever we are in India ( note: its not a regular western union branch, they do have sometimes high charge), and you can also exchange in some of the stores, but be careful with jewellery shops, esp in T-Nagar as they will give you law rates.
jenim thumbnail
Oh.. thank you Meli for the info. Very helpful indeed. Appreciate it.

Ore oru doubtu:
You said the Western Union branch in 'Paris' or 'Pondy Bazaar'? Which one? Or are these 2 different branches, because these 2 areas are located far away in Chennai.
Niri thumbnail
Hi - I live in MA - USA. We have a function coming up and I would like to get Indian clothes for the family. Since I don't go to India often - I do a lot of online shopping. However for this large purchase I would like to see the outfits before I purchase them. We were thinking about driving to NY to take a look. Do any of you know any good stores there? Or even in NJ? Greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Niri.
jenim thumbnail
Niri -

There are scores of such stores that sell Indian clothes in the Edison area of New Jersey, particularly "Oak Tree Road". The entire stretch of this very busy road is full of Indian stores selling Jewellery, Indian clothes, eateries and what not. If you're driving down to NJ, you won't be disappointed. There's a store called Khazana here, very very beautiful clothes, but a bit pricey. But if you are doing bulk shopping, may be you'll get a good deal. Anyway there are tons of other such stores you can check out.

For easy parking on the street sides, you may want to shop during a weekday. If you're going there on a weekend, there's paid parking along the side of oaktree road. When you're driving - map out: Oak Tree Rd, Edison, NJ 08820

And there are plenty of these stores in the "Jackson Heights" area of NY City. A lot of Jewellery stores too.

I found a list of Indian clothes stores all over US here. In fact, I see some MA saree stores too in this link.
http://www.garamchai.com/saree.htm

Happy shopping!

Niri thumbnail
Thank you so much Jenim. Will take a ride there next week - Thanks also for the link.

Niri.