TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide
TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide

Mr.Problem Brings Solution!! (Page 4)

ritu Goldie
ritu
ritu

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 12:52am | IP Logged

Hi jammy

How do i play a WMF file , it does not open in Windows media player.

jammy Goldie
jammy
jammy

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 1:46am | IP Logged
Hi ritu,

If you have Windows Media Player 9 then it shouldnt be a problem to play a WMF file. If you have Windows media player older version(6.4 or 2) then i recommend upgrade to Windows media player version 9 if you are on Windows98, or to windows media player version 10 if you are on WindowsXp.

If you already have the latest version then, uninstall and reinstall your windows media player. Remmember to restart the machine after uninstalling and then reinstall.

If still one particular file isnt playing & others with same extention are then there must be some problem with the file.

All the Best.

Jammy.

jammy Goldie
jammy
jammy

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 1:57am | IP Logged
I also forgot to mention, The problem can be as simple as file association issue. It means that when manually opened in windows media player latest version it can open but by double click or a simple pressing of 'Return/enter Key'  it doesnt is that the problem???

If yes then you can do one thing is select the file and then keep holding the shift key and simultaneuously rightclick with your mouse on the icon. It will give you an extra option in the drop down menu. It will be 'OPEN WITH' select this option and you will see a list of programmes there, select the appropriate programme (in this case the latest Windows Media player) and then there is a small check box that says 'Open the file with this programme always'  tick that box as well. so next time when you double click or press enter on that file it will use Windows media player to play it self.

Jammy.

HUMM IF-Dazzler
HUMM
HUMM

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 1:58am | IP Logged

The Windows Meta File (WMF) format is used specifically on the PC platform. WMF files can contain either pixel-based information or vector information in 16-bit RGB color space.

Meta files, as they are sometimes referred to, generally can not be placed into a page layout. The most common use of WMF files will be in low-end desktop printers, but never in a commercial (high-end print) workflow.

The reasons for not using these files in a high-end workflow are numerous:

• No support for color separations
• Limitation of 16-bit color
• Use of only the RGB color space

Solution to ur Problem:

When I start a WMF or ASF file, there is no picture on screen!????????

You probably don't have the proper codec installed on your machine.

Try the following procedure:

1. Be sure you are connected to the Internet.
  2. In Windows Explorer, double-click on the file EO Video couldn't play.
    If Windows Media Player can't find the proper codec installed on your machine, it will try to find it on Microsoft's site.
  3. When the proper codec is found, you should confirm codec installation.

Of course, not all codecs originate from Microsoft. Some codecs (the popular DivX for example) should be found, downloaded and installed manually. For links check www.eo-video.com

EO Video informs you when a codec missing. You can check file's codec with the Playlist Item(s) Info or, for AVI clips, with the File Properties dialog box.

Yes i agree to jammy also try the new media player, or re-install ur existing media player!!

-----I HOPE MY SOLUTION HELPS U!TongueTongue

Edited by HUMM - 07 December 2004 at 2:01am
jammy Goldie
jammy
jammy

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 2:01am | IP Logged
Guys those who need a perfect and more clear solutions for your problems it would be a great help if you are a bit specific about your problems and also give us some info.

For Example the most basic info appreciated by all the solution providers will be.

Your Operating System and its version, for example Win98SE or Winxp.

You Internet Explorer Version.

You Microsoft Office version.

Also for a particular software the version of that software will be very helpful in giving you a near perfect solution. Smile

Jammy.
KK_lassi Senior Member
KK_lassi
KK_lassi

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 2:20am | IP Logged

It is Win98. And i have cable-hathway. Its slow sometimes. Adds pops very recently. If i go on to update the entire Computer setup..i think i will mess up and do the wrong.

So, http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

by opening this site, where should i go next. What are its consequences? If new windows is going to be installed..will the earlier setup data be lost?

ok, now i havent taken IT so its a bit difficult for me to understand. Also risky if i am going to try it myself. 

Will the earlier internet explorer option remain after downloading the new win98.. OR Am I needing to change the Entire programme instaled in the comp for getting the better facilities??

HUMM IF-Dazzler
HUMM
HUMM

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 3:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KK_lassi

It is Win98. And i have cable-hathway. Its slow sometimes. Adds pops very recently. If i go on to update the entire Computer setup..i think i will mess up and do the wrong.

So, http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

by opening this site, where should i go next. What are its consequences? If new windows is going to be installed..will the earlier setup data be lost?

ok, now i havent taken IT so its a bit difficult for me to understand. Also risky if i am going to try it myself. 

Will the earlier internet explorer option remain after downloading the new win98.. OR Am I needing to change the Entire programme instaled in the comp for getting the better facilities??

Hey kk u don't need to go to that website!!... that only for removing ur adwares etc,.!!

So do as i said, go to the update microsoft link in the post i mentioned earlier!...  http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

- don't worry any of ur data shall not be affected, it just updates ur pc since u got a cable line as u mention, u need not worry let microsoft automatically update ur pc, select udate uption when microsoft ask u that should it update ur pc!!.... don't worry it shall not damage ur pc at all!!
... but one thing U should not do any work on ur pc when ur pc is been updates by microsoft,
    after updating is done it shall automatically inform u and then u need to restart ur pc!!
any more clarification u need plz feel free to contact!!http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/Smile

... the update procedure is just like paining ur old car and servicing it, that does not change the model of ur car right?? neither does it affect the shape and size of ur car right?? ... it shall just make ur car look new and improve its performance!!

.... updating windows is also the same thing!!

Edited by HUMM - 07 December 2004 at 3:29am
KK_lassi Senior Member
KK_lassi
KK_lassi

Posted: 07 December 2004 at 3:32am | IP Logged
thanks HummBig smile..all the best to me!! I will do it.

Go to top