Debate Mansion

Dream travel destination or nightmare? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 27 March 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by egghatcher

Ill let you in to a secret kept real close by the Indian Orthopaedic society for so long ........sigh.........

They ensure the roads dont get ever done ...... With a rash of doctors making it out from our universities and the reverse trend of working in the country rather than going to USA etc they need to be busy .... both the ortho and the chiropractors and to make it compounded now the champi maalish wallas have also chipped in with their share of hafftaa to the public works department .. The only way to make a living for these poor sods is from back sprain neck breaks  and whiplash ........ .....pretty lucrative industry eh ? now the automobile giants like GM TOTOTA have decided to contribut towards the same kitty to bump up their sale in our country..

I know i will be killed for spilling these choicest of beans ... guess i ought to seek asylum in Jamaica like our indian team eh?LOL

Lastly I learnt from my youngest niece in mumbai that they have edited the nursery rhyme poem to read as follows

Humpetty Bumpeetty sat on the wall  ......etc

LOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Dream travel destination or nightmare? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sareg

IF-Dazzler

sareg

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TallyHo

Hi ppl,

I am just back from a lovely holiday in Switzerland...it is considered to be a dream destination for tourists by many and now I know why...beautiful country with a well preserved ecology, friendly people, an absolutely wonderful public transport system...

this set me thinking about India as a tourist destination...we seem to have the right ingredients...Beaches , Heritage Monuments, Palaces and Temples,Sandy Deserts, Rain Forests, lakes, rivers,vast streches of Greenery,  innumerable festivals celebrated with gusto through out the year, hospitable people...still we are dismally behind the other popular tourist destinations of the world...

What are the reasons...What can be done to improve the situation...can we ever become a tourist friendly country...Would love to hear your views..

And yes...it feels good to be back...hope all u guys missed me!WinkLOL

I think we had a thread on this earlier

India needs to learn the art to sell it, Learn it from the Americans

Red Fort, Various forts are far older, far better in architectural value than most of the things illustrated as "you will never find this anywhere". India needs to make an effort to preserve it. Most of the forts in historic times are in Shambles

All people know about is Taj Mahal in India, the art work done on the walls and ceilings of the temples in Mount Abu is far better than in Taj Mahal, But first things first, our people and our govt should learn to respect what they have

Minnie

IF-Veteran Member

Minnie

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

Red Fort, Various forts are far older, far better in architectural value than most of the things illustrated as "you will never find this anywhere". India needs to make an effort to preserve it. Most of the forts in historic times are in Shambles

All people know about is Taj Mahal in India, the art work done on the walls and ceilings of the temples in Mount Abu is far better than in Taj Mahal, But first things first, our people and our govt should learn to respect what they have

True.

Few years back we had visited Mandu. This is the largest fort city in India ( could be in the world as well... it's huge.)

The forts and the palaces were not only beautiful but boasted of engineering feats that would give a modern day engineering marvel a run for it's money.

We saw how water was pulled up right across to the hill top to the mahals of Baz bahadur and roopmati, or their system of long distance communication, even the purification of bathing water - it is to say the least awe inspiring.

yet none of this has ever found it's way to the tourism pages of our Indian govt. Worse is that it's a pain to get there. Bad roads, bad accommodations, no sanitation - and this at a place which could boast of such marvels 500 to 1000 years back  when the Britishers were just learning to do away with thatched huts and erect solid structures.....

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Minnie

Originally posted by sareg

All peopleknow about is Taj Mahal in India, the art work done on the walls and ceilings of the temples in Mount Abu is far better than in Taj Mahal, But first things first, our people and our govt should learn to respect what they have

True.

Few years back we had visited Mandu. This is the largest fort city in India ( could be in the world as well... it's huge.)

The forts and the palaces were not only beautiful but boasted of engineering feats that would give a modern day engineering marvel a run for it's money.

We saw how water was pulled up right across to the hill top to the mahals of Baz bahadur and roopmati, or their system of long distance communication, even the purification of bathing water - it is to say the least awe inspiring.

yet none of this has ever found it's way to the tourism pages of our Indian govt. Worse is that it's a pain to get there. Bad roads, bad accommodations, no sanitation - and this at a place which could boast of such marvels 500 to 1000 years back when the Britishers were just learning to do away with thatched huts and erect solid structures.....

in which state is mandu?

that's what i was mentioning about earlier Ouch they need to be taken care of such issues Confused

Edited by raunaq - 29 March 2007 at 2:30pm

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged
Singapore is such a small country..It produces nothing of its own and it has almost Zero natural resources...Yet, it succeeded in becoming one of the biggest tourist destinations...Its all in the packaging...India can have all the natural resources,all the beautiful mansions and all the famous personalities, but if we dont learn how to advertise and present ourselves, forget it..Our tourism industry has the potential of becoming our biggest revenue provider, but if and only if we learn how to draw crowds...We need to bring that x factor in...

Minnie

IF-Veteran Member

Minnie

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raunaq

in which state is mandu?

that's what i was mentioning about earlier Ouch they need to be taken care of such issues Confused

It's in Madhaya pradesh....

It's one of the most beautiful places i have ever visited. For a history lover like me, it's like a store of candies for a sweeth toothed kid.

Unfortunately, the place is falling apart. little is being done to keep things in shape...the ruins are getting worse by the day. I would like to take my kids back there one day, only feel that the place might not last that long due to gross neglect.

raunaq

IF-Sizzlerz

raunaq

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raksha.l

Singapore is such a small country..It produces nothing of its own and it has almost Zero natural resources...Yet, it succeeded in becoming one of the biggest tourist destinations...Its all in the packaging...India can have all the natural resources,all the beautiful mansions and all the famous personalities, but if we dont learn how to advertise and present ourselves, forget it..Our tourism industry has the potential of becoming our biggest revenue provider, but if and only if we learn how to draw crowds...We need to bring that x factor in...From Salman ?

i was about to say salman for the x factor part LOL LOL LOL

singapore is one of the cleanest places of the world. but you have to look at all facets. singapore is small country whereas india is a large country with a lot of people. most of the small places make money out of tourism industry since they have no other source of their own. small places are easier to handle and kept clean unlike large places where the population is large enough to make such kind of issues harder to handle. i wish cleaning part can be taken care of in india. agreed, india is rich in history but how to advertise itself to people is another factor.

Edited by raunaq - 29 March 2007 at 2:53pm

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 29 March 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raksha.l

Singapore is such a small country..It produces nothing of its own and it has almost Zero natural resources...Yet, it succeeded in becoming one of the biggest tourist destinations...Its all in the packaging...India can have all the natural resources,all the beautiful mansions and all the famous personalities, but if we dont learn how to advertise and present ourselves, forget it..Our tourism industry has the potential of becoming our biggest revenue provider, but if and only if we learn how to draw crowds...We need to bring that x factor in...From Salman ?

Salman is already there and besides, he lost his X factor(according to the other thread)LOLTongue

@raunaq- I agree that being a small country helps Singapore to certain extent in keeping itself on the top...However I disagree that that is the only reason why it is amongst the top...There are so many other even smaller countries which are no where in the map of Tourism Industry...For example, they dont have any natural resources- not even a natural water falls..So they have this artificial water falls and advertise all over the place saying- 'the only man made water falls'...Its really ridiculous to see the people falling on top of eachother to go there..Its amazing, their business skills I mean...

Now coming to India, talking about a similar example, we went to Jog falls near Bangalore- its a beautiful place..apparently Jog falls are the highest falls in the entire world..But it was appalling to see hardly any crowds thereOuch..I bet half of the Indians dont even know what this Jog falls is...Disapprove

Post Reply New Post

Go to top