Debate Mansion

Supporting teams based on religion? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 5

Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 3 Page 5

Sound

IF-Rockerz

Sound

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 6:22pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Tearrops

When the country your residing in and the your country of origin are both bad at the sport, then go for the best team to win LOL

That's what I doTongue. I support the country of my origin or the country I stay in only if I feel they deserve my supportLOL.

I would support the country I reside in in all matches except when it plays the country of my origin. Now in cricket I hardly see the point in supporting Canada. Bbut yeah if they showed some potential, then I might change my opinion (only if my interest in cricket lasts that long since  India has other plansWink)

As for the religion based support, as Maya said their first loyalty should lie with the country and I haven't really seen people supporting based on religion.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Supporting teams based on religion? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by raj5000

Smart answer, as usualClap LOL ...  How about a more realistic one, similar to #1?

England Vs India - Cricket -> Person is Hindu - Indian original born and bought up in Eng - Whom should he/she cheer for ? Smile

ThanksEmbarrassed. But now you are putting me in a tough spotD'oh. If it was me then I would cheer for both and then pray for *cough* *cough* I.........N.........D...........I..........A's *cough* victory. You saw my siggy rightEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed.

Wink Got it LOL

LOLLOL Thats called fantastic square cut for four runs LOL

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Tearrops

From what i've seen supporting a country based on religion is unheard of. When the Fifa world cup was here in 2006 i wasn't rooting for Saudi (islamic country) lol i was rooting for England.
Origin does come into it too when supporting a country, you can't expect people to forget their roots.
When the country your residing in and the your country of origin are both bad at the sport, then go for the best team to win LOL
Seriously, in the premier league half the people don't support their home team they go for the ones that are good at the game. Which is why they are in the Premier league.

In India, you will see it happen. In fact I at one point grew up with muslims friends who used to support India but thier dad's used to root for Pak. At that age, it was lil Confused for me but after residing country other then India can understand the feelings.Smile

Edited by raj5000 - 22 March 2007 at 7:19pm

souro

souro

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sound

Now in cricket I hardly see the point in supporting Canada. Bbut yeah if they showed some potential, then I might change my opinion (only if my interest in cricket lasts that long since  India has other plansWink)

Hey today your country showed a very decent performance, especially with the bat. Chasing NZ's 363 they scored 249. For a new entrant that's commendable.Clap

Sound

IF-Rockerz

Sound

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by Sound

Now in cricket I hardly see the point in supporting Canada. Bbut yeah if they showed some potential, then I might change my opinion (only if my interest in cricket lasts that long since  India has other plansWink)

Hey today your country showed a very decent performance, especially with the bat. Chasing NZ's 363 they scored 249. For a new entrant that's commendable.Clap

I am trying to stay away from WC fever as much as possible or else I end up bunking all my classesOuch.

But thanks for letting me know. 249 from Canada is indeed impressiveClap

S a r a h

IF-Sizzlerz

S a r a h

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 12:12am | IP Logged
I watched Bangladesh vs India match in this WC just to see the mega start of India but they disappointed me to the hell.... in the next match I didnt have any expectations but hopes... they performed really well...

I always support India when it is playing against Pakistan or Bangladesh... but supporting is different from having to enjoy the match... I dont blindly bet on its uncertain victory or loss coz I kno more I expect more I am going to get disappointed Ouch Ouch

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 12:37am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged

There you go! Maya putting me in a tighter spot with no room for sweet escape.

Clarification:

Point A: Supporting a country based on religion or origin.

Point B: Supporting a country on which you are a legal citizen.

Point A - My comments on point A matchs with yours, am not saying it is morally right - All I am conveying is I understand the feeling behind it.

Point B: I don't find much difference in morality of a person who is legally a citizen and still support the country of origin. With Citizens am more emphasizing on born and bought in country of non origin.

Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by raj5000

In India, you will see it happen. In fact I at one point grew up with muslims friends who used to support India but thier dad's used to root for Pak. At that age, it was lil Confused for me but after residing country other then India can understand the feelings.Smile

Anshu, you are confusing the two. The people you mentioned are Indians. They didn't come from Pakistan. So what if they are Muslims they still are Indians. Aren't they?  RIGHT! So them supporting Pakistan just because of religion is morally wrong and what patriotism do they have for their country then? Well, can I take pass on this one and highlight Patriotism which plays imp part in Point B below.

Let me ask you one thing. What if India (with majority players Non Hindu) plays Cricket against Nepal? Would you support Nepal because it is a100% Hindu country? I will support India. But I will understand if an Indian hindu supports Nepal, based on certain factors which might not be true  here but listing a) hindus being minority in India. b) Huge cultural difference always look at nepal to find culturer roots c) can related to Nepal being a home d) being discriminated in India for being hindu etc..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top