Debate Mansion

Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 19

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nupur9

And I also think Religion is very personal.....

Originally posted by Nupur9

One is born with a  religious belief ... and I think that one should not change his or her born religion.
A person is born in a faith and should die in the same faith. This is the only thing which comes with the person at birth and will go with the person on death.

I see a wee contradiction there! If religion is personal, then one should have a choice of which religion to follow like all other personal choices one tends to make. Why should one just go along with a decision that one has had no input into, whatsoever? We are not "born into a religion". If that's the case, then what religion is a child of mixed-marriage born into?? The only thing we are born with is our faculties and the ability to choose a religion (or no religion) is part of exercising those faculties.

I am not at all for "religious conversion" as implied in the first post, but if someone wishes to change his or her faith as per their own volition, then why not!!

Golden iron

Golden iron

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
Wah kya topic hai Maya Memsaab ka

Now for conversion....sometimes changes are required...like a kid does not approve his name...may change it, Does not like home town so changes place of residence for study/job etc. Change is part of life. Yet few things are with us by default. Yes when we are born, we are just a living being happen to be a part of a family. Now that family is our identity...as we cannot choose our parents, same way we cannot choose our identity.  The culture that we see in our family is the tradition to be followed.
Although people are seen who may change their parents even...may be circumstances...If I am starving with my family, may be I will praise your God to just get some money...who knows as Khali peth bhajan na hott Gopala (Empty stomach, you cannot say prayers)

But for me Conversion is a nono...child is brought up some values and belief since birth and if he cannot hold on to them,,,goes to convert himself to another region because some one brain stromed him...then that person is a big time looser.

my 2 cents ...aab shayad teacher ji danda lekar hamla karne walli hain is nanhi si Loha jaaan pur ConfusedLOLLOL

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged

Nupur9

IF-Rockerz

Nupur9

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by Golden iron

my 2 cents ...aab shayad teacher ji danda lekar hamla karne walli hain is nanhi si Loha jaaan pur ConfusedLOLLOL

arrey aankh key andhon naam nayansukhLOL bahni key haath mein belan hai - danda naheenWink

Iron, the debate is not about whether I or you would convert or whether it's right or wrong.  Debate, if I am not mistaken, is whether the missionaries converting poor people by inducing them with material things is acceptable or not. 

Just like we love our religion and it's teachings, the missionaries do too.  Their religion mandates them to spread it and bring more people in their fold.  How is it wrong if they are not threatening people to convert?  You and I may not like it but what right do we have to call their actions "wrong" or "unethical"?
Exatly Gauri ...The question is whether it's right or wrong.......
And I say it's wrong for the same reason you mentioned....converting poor people for Material gains.
It's almost the same premise as Forced conversion where you convert do to save your life....except there is no force...but there is still gain!!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 2:53pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

[
Converting may not be acceptable for you and me but if someone is promising a better life and ather person is putting faith in that promise because they have no other way out of misery they live in and their present religious beliefs don't mean a thing to them then I don't think any wrongdoing took place here.

Yeah, that I agree with...I have cousins that converted to Christianity....they are much nicer and happier nowLOL I think its fine for people who are seeking to convert of their own free will...I just don't want people standing in front of my university trying to pass out bibles....that annoys me!  Its better for someone to practice a faith they truly believe in and not fake the faith they were born with.... 

Post Reply New Post

Go to top