Debate Mansion

Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 19

Nupur9

IF-Rockerz

Nupur9

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged

The cherry on the icing was when a missionary preached me to convert standing outside a club in Amsterdam with a bottle of beer.....LOL

Even better as an international student to a university here in US, Jehovas's witness get the list and goes around knocking the door to convert FOBS.....
By the end of my first semster I had 5 bibles and 3 hymns books.....
So much for patience and politeness....

Here's my thing.....I still cannot be disprespectful to any religion......no matter what I think of it.
And I also think Religion is very personal.....
But it does annoy me when others test my patience and tolerance.
Coming back to Maya-Mudda...Tongue
I don't know if govt should or should not ban missionary....but this whole Premise of conversion to me is not right....
You are born and raised with a belief......why do you have change at all??
It's just not right.
School.....Hospitals.....Charity.......yes.....but why ask them to convert to avail their good work...
Isn't it a business then...I shall help you....but hey you need to heed me!!!!

Edited by Nupur9 - 15 November 2008 at 9:28pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

~LovleyStar~

~LovleyStar~

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 12:02am | IP Logged

religion is a very personal thing..i think its okay to spread goodness and  knowledge around..but not okay

to force anyone to change religions.ppl can beleive in whatever they want. Everyone shud have freedom of relgionn!!

Nupur9

IF-Rockerz

Nupur9

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ~LovleyStar~

religion is a very personal thing..i think its okay to spread goodness and  knowledge around..but not okay

to force anyone to change religions.ppl can beleive in whatever they want. Everyone shud have freedom of relgionn!!

Lovely Star...it's not even about force conversion....that is not of-course so not right......
To me the whole idea of conversion is wrong!
Expecting people to convert their beliefs just coz then they will be helped by a group or community is not right.
Plus if you are doing charity.....then why only to with the premise of conversion???
Then does that make it charity anymore........?

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nupur9

Lovely Star...it's not even about force conversion....that is not of-course so not right......
To me the whole idea of conversion is wrong!
Expecting people to convert their beliefs just coz then they will be helped by a group or community is not right.
Plus if you are doing charity.....then why only to with the premise of conversion???
Then does that make it charity anymore........?

I agree with you!  I don't believe in conversion.  I don't like when people are trying "spread the word" about their religion....religion is personal and should not be used to recruit as many people as possible....its like religion is some sort of advertisement that missionaries want to sell...it just rubs me the wrong way!  The next time someone comes to my door selling their religion, I'll try to convince them to convert to Hinduism...I bet they won't like that!!!  

Edited by apux - 17 November 2008 at 1:44pm

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Nupur9

IF-Rockerz

Nupur9

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by apux

I agree with you!  I don't believe in conversion.  I don't like when people are trying "spread the word" about their religion....religion is personal and should not be used to recruit as many people as possible....its like religion is some sort of advertisement that missionaries want to sell...it just rubs me the wrong way!  The next time someone comes to my door selling their religion, I'll try to convince them to convert to Hinduism...I bet they won't like that!!!  

no, they don't like that at all...and they leave you alone after that as well  tried and tested approach

Personally, i am not against them trying to spread their religion.  They are mandated to do so by their religious texts.  If they want people who are willing to cross over for a t.v. set or some money, then isn't it good riddance for a lot of us  I mean who wants the dal-badloos to be in their camp anyways

On a serious note - The missionaries etc might try out their luck with us all BUT most conversions take place among socio-economically backward classes.  Somewhere, the govt or the well-to-do people of their own religion failed to support them.  Otherwise they wouldn't think of converting.

Missionaries, at some level, are doing what the politicians do all year round - getting support in numbers.  Then, how can we fault them in trying out their luck?  As long as they are not intimidating or threatening people into conversions, I really do not see anything "bad" in what they are trying to do.  I wouldn't do so myself or give in to their bribes etc but I don't think what they are doing is morally wrong or unethical.

But then right there is the fault.......
Religion is not politics....or so they would like us to believe!
Infact most of these missionary organisations are run like corporations...
Very focus and very result oriented!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Nupur9

IF-Rockerz

Nupur9

Posted: 17 November 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

[QUOTE=Gauri_3]

But then right there is the fault.......
Religion is not politics....or so they would like us to believe!

I am not saying religion is politics - eventhough we all know how rampantly religion card is used in politics and how intermix the two are in most developing and/or under developed countries usually.  All I am saying is asking people to folow your religion is like asking people to vote for you.  One can find faults in this approach based on their ethical/moral opinions but it is as legal as garnering votes. 

How can it be as simple as asking people to vote.........
You change your political ideologies atleast 2 -3 times in your lifetime.......do people do that to their religion...
An obvious no!
One is born with a  religious belief ... and I think that one should not change his or her born religion.
A person is born in a faith and should die in the same faith. This is the only thing which comes with the person at birth and will go with the person on death.
Also, why should religion be used as a bargain tool???
Throughout human history, religion has constantly tried to push into politics........push in and assume control.
It succeeds too often and the consequence is usually human misery on a grand scale. 

Post Reply New Post

Go to top