Debate Mansion

Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 19

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged
I wont ever convert, because I have faith and belief in my own religion and I am proud to belong to it...I did have a couple of funny(annoying) experiences in this regard, people trying to preach about a certain religion and trying to put down my own religion...I am glad to say that I have sent them right back to where they belong.. Angry

However,I also feel that conversions, if not forced, are a personal choice..I have neither the time nor the energy to decide for others what is best for them... Big smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by raksha.l

I wont ever convert, because I have faith and belief in my own religion and I am proud to belong to it...I did have a couple of funny(annoying) experiences in this regard, people trying to preach about a certain religion and trying to put down my own religion...I am glad to say that I have sent them right back to where they belong.. Angry

However,I also feel that conversions, if not forced, are a personal choice..I have neither the time nor the energy to decide for others what is best for them... Big smile

Wellsaid Raksha ji!Clap

Religion is a personal issue and any one can follow number of religions and convert into any number of religions.

But I'm against the conversions which are with selfish motto! There are somany reserved class people who according to the records are Hindus but in faith they follow Christianity or Buddhism! If they get converted they need to shun the reservations they get as reserved people!Big smile

Wishes,

Mythili

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

I wont ever convert, because I have faith and belief in my own religion and I am proud to belong to it...I did have a couple of funny(annoying) experiences in this regard, people trying to preach about a certain religion and trying to put down my own religion...I am glad to say that I have sent them right back to where they belong.. Angry However,I also feel that conversions, if not forced, are a personal choice..I have neither the time nor the energy to decide for others what is best for them... Big smile

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Wellsaid Raksha ji!Clap

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Religion is a personal issue and any one can follow number of religions and convert into any number of religions.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>But I'm against the conversions which are with selfish motto! There are somany reserved class people who according to the records are Hindus but in faith they follow Christianity or Buddhism! If they get converted they need to shun the reservations they get as reserved people!Big smile

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Wishes,

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Mythili

First of all Mythili, can you please remove that 'ji' at the end of my name Big smile

You do have a point about converting for selfish reasons..How much ever we may hate such deals, its still their own personal choice..Many a times these kind of deals catch the eyes of the people whose stomachs are crying for some food, so can't blame them either..Like I said, the word - 'personal choice', is the key... Big smile

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Ah well I'd reapeat what other have said above

Religious conversions should not be banned ..and every adult should have the right to choose which he want to follow:)

4. Orphanages run by missionaries convert every inmate to Christianity. Is it right?

Am not sure actually...I know its the hidden agenda to make people of developing countries embrace Christianity....but at the same time they are providing them the basic needs which they are not getting from the ppl of their own religion....and i think its something which is more important .
I know if someone wants to practice some other religion then he/she should be given a choice....but y the ppl will help other if theerre is no profit??

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged

I wont ever convert, because I have faith and belief in my own religion and I am proud to belong to it...I did have a couple of funny(annoying) experiences in this regard, people trying to preach about a certain religion and trying to put down my own religion...I am glad to say that I have sent them right back to where they belong.. Angry However,I also feel that conversions, if not forced, are a personal choice..I have neither the time nor the energy to decide for others what is best for them... Big smile

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Religion is a personal issue and any one can follow number of religions and convert into any number of religions.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>But I'm against the conversions which are with selfish motto! There are somany reserved class people who according to the records are Hindus but in faith they follow Christianity or Buddhism! If they get converted they need to shun the reservations they get as reserved people!Big smile

First of all Mythili, can you please remove that 'ji' at the end of my name Big smile

You do have a point about converting for selfish reasons..How much ever we may hate such deals, its still their own personal choice..Many a times these kind of deals catch the eyes of the people whose stomachs are crying for some food, so can't blame them either..Like I said, the word - 'personal choice', is the key... Big smile

Yeah I agree with you most of the times the people who get converted into some religion are poor people,they get converted into that religion for the sake of incentives.These things happen in a large scale in rural and sub urban areas!The representatives of those religion who want to increase the conversions ,give the incenstives such as Monthly stipend,Training in vocational courses and all.These things really help them to have a proper livelihood!So the poor people also get into a religion which is profitable to them!Tongue But these so called poor people again stand in a row for the religion based reservations in Educational Institutions and other reserved fields!Angry

So the villan is not the poverty of the people but of the bad people with Bad intention of getting more people into their religion!!!

Another point:

The conversions are popular among emotionally and physically weak people! Most of the times the ignorant people are amongst uneducated and most of the uneducated people are poor people!

These religious reprsentatives describe the miracles of GOD! These miracles cure serious illness like cancer of whatever part and all serious illness in a single blow and single prayerConfused without medical helpAngry!!

The ignorance of people is converted into the form of convertions into a religion!So these type of conversions should be checked by Government!

last but not least any religion is not bad.Almighty or GOD is one and the same!I end by saying "ekam sat viprah bahudat vadanthi"(Truth is one but scholars say in different words)

Wishes,

Mythili

PS: Raksha ji! I'm used to this way of addressing people particulary in virtual life with "ji" tag.This is good for all and I'm saying this by experience,even the net predators behaved decently with me may be  because of the distance I maintain ! However I will address you as Raksha if you want!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 27 April 2007 at 9:10pm

manjujain

IF-Sizzlerz

manjujain

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
I will not go point to point but my thinking is we all may love the way we do rituals in our own religion as I do too. I love my religion as I get my all answers by my religion theory. But what I believe is we are all human being and if we can just focus on being good human that will resolve many problems... but we don't focus on that we start fighting on religion etc.. these are all for politics .. politicians or dharam apndas start it for their own selfish reason & we all get caught in between..... we should stay away from it and just try to be a good human & do rituals in the maaner anyone pleases with.. that's just my POV.

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 27 April 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged

First of all Mythili, can you please remove that 'ji' at the end of my name Big smile You do have a point about converting for selfish reasons..How much ever we may hate such deals, its still their own personal choice..Many a times these kind of deals catch the eyes of the people whose stomachs are crying for some food, so can't blame them either..Like I said, the word - 'personal choice', is the key... Big smile

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Yeah I agree with you most of the times the people who get converted into some religion are poor people,they get converted into that religion for the sake of incentives.These things happen in a large scale in rural and sub urban areas!The representatives of those religion who want to increase the conversions ,give the incenstives such as Monthly stipend,Training in vocational courses and all.These things really help them to have a proper livelihood!So the poor people also get into a religion which is profitable to them!Tongue But these so called poor people again stand in a row for the religion based reservations in Educational Institutions and other reserved fields!Angry

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>So the villan is not the poverty of the people but of the bad people with Bad intention of getting more people into their religion!!!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>Another point:

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>The conversions are popular among emotionally and physically weak people! Most of the times the ignorant people are amongst uneducated and most of the uneducated people are poor people!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>These religious reprsentatives describe the miracles of GOD! These miracles cure serious illness like cancer of whatever part and all serious illness in a single blow and single prayerConfused without medical helpAngry!!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>The ignorance of people is converted into the form of convertions into a religion!So these type of conversions should be checked by Government!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>last but not least any religion is not bad.Almighty or GOD is one and the same!I end by saying "ekam sat viprah bahudat vadanthi<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>"(Truth is one but scholars say in different words)

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=4>PS: Raksha ji! I'm used to this way of addressing people particulary in virtual life with "ji" tag.This is good for all and I'm saying this by experience,even the net predators behaved decently with me may be because of the distance I maintain ! However I will address you as Raksha if you want!

People are not bad Mythili, their needs certainly are...Yes the same people stand in the line for the reservations, and that's survival skills for them.. Big smile

@PS:Its totally upto you Mythili..If you want I can also call you 'ji'..No probs there.. Big smile Do you really think 'ji' is the key to keep the predators at bay, because I don't use 'ji' that often, but I am yet to be hit by any of them 'predators'...

Edited by raksha.l - 27 April 2007 at 11:09pm

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

We have seen how fast the missionaries have grown in India. They provide the best schools and charities and orphanages but the underlining is also propagates Christianity. Recently these conversions in some cities of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka have aggravated people and they informed police. We have read about how poor in North East and Central India were influenced wit money and TV sets to convert.

My questions are

1.Should religious conversions be banned in India?

i don't think religious conversions should be banned in india or anywhere in the world for that matter. embracing a religion is a question about a person's faith and beliefs, what a person wants to believe so every person should have the freedom of what religion they want to choose, to believe in and to embrace. if today you choose to say believe in other religion but you are not able to do so because it was banned then how will you feel? you will feel that embracing the religion that has been passed from your parents not right and you will only half-heartedly embrace it.

2. What is a forced conversion?
forced conversion is when someone forced you to abandon your faith and threatened you that you will be harmed if you don't deny and abandon your faith. for example if someone put a gun on your head and tell you to deny your religion and accept the religion you are forced to accept and convert into otherwise you will be killed.

3. Is providing money and TV sets and basic needs and influencing people to convert a forced conversion?

i don't think it's forced conversion. if a person provide you with money and other things such as basic needs and tv they should provide it without expecting anything in return.

4. Orphanages run by missionaries convert every inmate to Christianity. Is it right?
i don't think that they convert every inmates but they will surely teach the christianity teachings to the inmates of the orphanages. but i don't think that if the inmates do not want to convert and embrace christianity, come to believe in christianity then they will start throwing out the inmate just because they do not want to believe in christianity.

5. Govt. is planning to make religious reference compulsory in class 10th because some are converting to get job through reservation while applying to professional courses. What is your take on it?

well, personally i think that if you wanna believe in one religion that is a commitment between you and god. and i think that a person beliefs and religion should not be forced by other people, as every person has their own point of view, beliefs and faiths and everybody should be allowed to practice their faith freely. i personally believe that if a person changed their religion just for resume purposes then it's not for religious purposes it's already for worldly things which should be seperated from spiritual purposes. a person cannot just change his or her faith just because they want to apply for professional courses and this is really wrong.

'Religious conversion' triggers tension in Baad

DHARWAD: Tension prevailed for sometime at Baad village, in Dharwad taluk, on Tuesday as the villagers surrounded a group of people alleging that they were trying to convert people of a particular religious group.

The villagers called up police and handed over almost 22 people who had come to the village in a tempo. Dharwad rural police inspector Prabhakar Barki, who rushed to the spot, arrested and produced them before the court, which remanded them to judicial custody.

Trouble started when the group members reached the village around 10.30 am on Tuesday and distributed pamphlets highlighting advantages of religious conversion.

The members allegedly asked the villagers to join them in a prayer to be organised at Ramnagar. When the news spread, the villagers gathered and thrashed a member of the visiting group.

Meanwhile, elderly villagers pacified the mob and informed the police. The police said the vehicle had Andhra Pradesh registration and the visiting group spoke Kannada.

The police have registered cases against the group under Section 143, 147, 298, 504 and 448 read with 149 of IPC.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top