Debate Mansion

Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 19

armana

Goldie

armana

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged

thanks maya, for welcoming me on this section. seems like an interesting place. believe it or not i found it by sheer chance, was actually looking for the Book Club!

armana

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Cordelia

IF-Rockerz

Cordelia

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the PM Armana! Wink

I too am not a regular at DM so would not have otherwise stumbled across such an interesting discussion!

I am a Hindu, and though I may not follow 100% of the teachings of my religion, I am at heart happy being who I am.

I have always been brought up to believe that religion is something that you may be born into, but continue to follow through choice. No-one can force you to believe in a way of life that you cannot relate to - and neither should they do so.

I have often heard stories of Hindus converting to Islam or Christianity after marriage. The impression given, as Armana said, does always seems to be that Hindus follow a pagan and impure way of life, of which they need to be cleansed. I don't think I am unreasonable in finding this quite insulting and offensive!

I firmly believe that if someone you love can and will only marry you if you convert to their religion, then you are better off without them! In the same way, if you convert to another religion for a TV set then neither will you please your "New God", nor will you live a happy or fulfilled life yourself.

However, if one converts to another religion because they really do feel that that is the right path for them, then good luck to them!!

People who convert to other religions should do so from their own free will, at an age where they can fully understand the implications of such a commitment.

My 2 cents, no offence meant! Smile

Cordy xxx

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

devashree_h

Garf

Garf

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged
Hi Maya,

Thank you for welcoming me on this section. Thanks to Armana I got to know such a section does even exist...I guess I should actually browse through the other sections on IF more often.

Garf

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

RonnieK

IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
religion should not be spread through the sword or money Wink

i am proud of the vilagers who beat up those evil people LOL

nerdynerd

Goldie

nerdynerd

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged

1.Should religious conversions be banned in India?
NO! We lived in a democratic, secular country. Everyone has the right to convert to whatever they want to. As long as you believe in it, you have every right to convert to whatever religion they want to.

2. What is a forced conversion?
I guess forced conversion would be when you are converted but you don't agree with the beliefs of a certain religion.

3. Is providing money and TV sets and basic needs and influencing people to convert a forced conversion?
Not really! They go on the tv with an agenda to make people aware of their certain religions. NO one is forcing anyone to convert. for ex: if they show murder on a movie, you can't blame the tv for forcing you to act in the same manner.

4. Orphanages run by missionaries convert every inmate to Christianity. Is it right?
Well that is a very debatable point. On one hand, conversion makes sense b/c then the orphanages pray together and they become closer. So, it is good for them as a group. ON the other hand, a child is practically being forced to convert in return for food and shelter. I don't know if it is the right thing to do. Good deeds shouldn't be done based on relgious beliefs. And the children are not given enough information about other religions so that they can make a choice of their own.

5. Govt. is planning to make religious reference compulsory in class 10th because some are converting to get job through reservation while applying to professional courses. What is your take on it?
I thought we were a secular country. So, why does religion matter so much.

** this is why I am happy being an atheist**Big smile

Edited by *guesswho* - 04 April 2007 at 1:20pm

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged
Nice topic!
I'm against religious convertions!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top