Debate Mansion

Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 19)

Post Reply New Post

Page 19 of 19

Page 1 Page 18
Page   of 19

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 12 October 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged
why should religious conversion be seen as a bad thing?? people are supposed to be able to believe what they want to believe. it is a matter of faith, not what is enforced to other people. if a person wants to convert to other faith but was not allowed by the government or the authorities then it will be really sad, not to mention it would also be violating human rights. it's not just converting to Christianity but also from being Christian to other religion.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views (Page 19)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 13 October 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by rongna

why should religious conversion be seen as a bad thing?? people are supposed to be able to believe what they want to believe. it is a matter of faith, not what is enforced to other people. if a person wants to convert to other faith but was not allowed by the government or the authorities then it will be really sad, not to mention it would also be violating human rights. it's not just converting to Christianity but also from being Christian to other religion.

Not normal conversion; the main discussion here is whether forced conversion is right or not.

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 14 October 2009 at 6:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Not normal conversion; the main discussion here is whether forced conversion is right or not.

well.... i don't get by what you mean by forced conversion. sending out missionaries to spread religions does not equal to forcing someone to convert to their religion.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 14 October 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged

well.... i don't get by what you mean by forced conversion. sending out missionaries to spread religions does not equal to forcing someone to convert to their religion.

Not just sending out missionaries...those missionaries bribe people who are 'less fortunate' than others with things they lack in return for practicing their religion. How is that right?Confused Those missionaries themselves do not know the true meaning of their religion, because religion is not just chanting a bunch of words like they bribe these people to do, but actually meaning them and understanding them. I doubt even 1/4 of these force converts understand what they are forced to chant. They just do so for daily necessities like food, clothing, and shelter. I don't understand how those kinds of missionaries can be called sinless. 

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
^lalithajanaki
but sending missionaries to help the helpless does not mean that the missionaries are forcing the people to convert to their religions whatever religion that might be to be helped. in the end it is up to the individuals themselves whether they want to convert to the religion that they want to convert. do you know that there is a foundation called tzu chi foundation, i think that is how they spell it. this foundation was founded by a buddhist nun from taiwan and she tries to help everybody that she can help regardless of whatever religions they are. she also didn't force those people that she helps to convert to buddhism. sending missionaries, helping the poor and the helpless does not necessarily mean that they are forcing the people to convert to the missionaries religion. they never forced the poor and helpless to convert, if the poor and helpless convert it is because they want to convert, not because they are forced to convert.

how do you know that the missionaries themselves do not know the true meaning of their religions? is it really these missionaries who do not understand the true meaning of their religions, or are you the one who does not understand the true meaning of their religion and you are taking assumptions? i do not mean to be rude, so no hard feelings. but how do you know that they are just chanting words without actually meaning them? how do you know that they do not understand what they are saying and what they are preaching.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 15 October 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged

Not just sending out missionaries...those missionaries bribe people who are 'less fortunate' than others with things they lack in return for practicing their religion. How is that right?Confused Those missionaries themselves do not know the true meaning of their religion, because religion is not just chanting a bunch of words like they bribe these people to do, but actually meaning them and understanding them. I doubt even 1/4 of these force converts understand what they are forced to chant. They just do so for daily necessities like food, clothing, and shelter. I don't understand how those kinds of missionaries can be called sinless. 

I do not think it would be fair to unfairly categorize all missionaries like this. A large number of missionaries do what they do because they truly and honestly, believe in what they do. Not all missionaries are all about conversion.

We are good friends with a missionary family here. They used to run a missionary in Pakistan. They were the first to invite us to Thanksgiving. The amazing thing why I respect them a lot is, not for one moment have they brought up conversion. Even though we have had several discussions on religion, never once had they ever asked us even indirectly about changing faith. The principle of missionary work is often a simple one. They believe compassion is a part of God's plan. They believe true faith is in serving people. That is why they serve people. If people ask them why they serve or display such compassion, they share their beliefs. Some of their kids are younger than me and have worked in remotest places of the world and done genuine hard work that I could barely dream off. Now if someone sees their work and is inspired to follow a faith that drives it - then its not a bad thing is it.

See when a person is facing hard times - that person loses faith in life and in God. All that they see is the unfairness. In such a situation - why should it matter what religion it is the person who helps them. Rebuilding a broken man and reinstating his love for life is perhaps one of the noblest achievements, if someone has a hidden agenda of religious promotion so be it.

Ultimately faith lies in the heart. You can engage in rituals, say something with your mouth. But what lies in a person's heart is the truth. Thats why I do think conversion is a pointless endeavor - because faith will always be a personal truth. Even people within the same religion hold different beliefs in their heart.

Sadly its a lost cause on another friend a Southern Baptist minister who seems to have taken it up as his life mission to save me. I'm grateful to him for he has been my proctor and helped me through school, but it gets perturbing when every conversation ends up about getting me converted. I always explain that while I share many of their beliefs, I do not interpret them exactly the same way or share all of them. Also that I can follow whatever I beleive of their faith without ritualistically proclaiming it. Of course some people in my place would get really upset, for many a reasons - but in the end I don't mind. Everyone is just  trying to be good in their own way. I cannot hate people for trying to be good, even if it pi$$es and offends me.

I actually feel deepest sympathy for those who think  they can save me.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rogna

Post Reply New Post

Go to top