Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 19

Page 1
Page   of 19
Page 2 Page 19

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious Conversion - Your views" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

We have seen how fast the missionaries have grown in India. They provide the best schools and charities and orphanages but the underlining is also propagates Christianity. Recently these conversions in some cities of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka have aggravated people and they informed police. We have read about how poor in North East and Central India were influenced wit money and TV sets to convert.

Disclaimer- I have very limited knowledge of the issue.

1.Should religious conversions be banned in India?

No.  It will be hard to ban conversion if we wish to practice secularism and religious tolerance.  From what I remember from childhood, isn't a good Christian supposed to spread the word and importance of Jesus Christ and make people accept Him as the Saviour?  They are just abiding by their religion.  If we are hurt by that, we can keep away from them.

2. What is a forced conversion?

This is exactly what I don't understand and hence I posted a disclaimer.  To me, it is constantly preaching the teachings of bible and inspiring an individual to a point where they would want to be salvated by bringing Jesus in their lives.  Is that right?  Nobody will hit you and abuse you to convert.  It is a mental force rather than physical.  Mental strength and belief in one's own religion can keep one from converting. In fact, it is a great test of one's own faith and beliefs to have people providing alternatives. Big smile

3. Is providing money and TV sets and basic needs and influencing people to convert a forced conversion?

It is the people who are not accepting Jesus in their lives, but just TV in their home. Dead.  It is just like vote banks comprising of the needy. I find these conversions fake and unjust to Christianity as well as to their original religion. 

4. Orphanages run by missionaries convert every inmate to Christianity. Is it right?

Well, if they feed them and take care of them and preach them their way of life,  I see nothing wrong in that.  Children are moulded by the environment they are in.  That they are given an opportunity to lead a life of good deeds rather than stealing / begging on streets due to lack of care-giver, I see nothing wrong there.   They are not sly, since it is a known fact that they believe in psreading the religion across the globe.

5. Govt. is planning to make religious reference compulsory in class 10th because some are converting to get job through reservation while applying to professional courses. What is your take on it?

That is disgusting behaviour.  (neo-budhdhists is another example since many of those are clueless about the teachings of budhha.  All they know is anti-Brahminism) 
IMO, these people really have no religion and no love for anyone except themselves.  These are a bunch of manipulative people who belong to no religion.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 21 March 2007 at 2:17pm

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Originally posted by Maya_M

We have seen how fast the missionaries have grown in India. They provide the best schools and charities and orphanages but the underlining is also propagates Christianity. Recently these conversions in some cities of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka have aggravated people and they informed police. We have read about how poor in North East and Central India were influenced wit money and TV sets to convert.

Disclaimer- I have very limited knowledge of the issue.

1.Should religious conversions be banned in India?

No.  It will be hard to ban conversion if we wish to practice secularism and religious tolerance.  From what I remember from childhood, isn't a good Christian supposed to spread the word and importance of Jesus Christ and make people accept Him as the Saviour?  They are just abiding by their religion.  If we are hurt by that, we can keep away from them.

2. What is a forced conversion?

This is exactly what I don't understand and hence I posted a disclaimer.  To me, it is constantly preaching the teachings of bible and inspiring an individual to a point where they would want to be salvated by bringing Jesus in their lives.  Is that right?  Nobody will hit you and abuse you to convert.  It is a mental force rather than physical.  Mental strength and belief in one's own religion can keep one from converting. In fact, it is a great test of one's own faith and beliefs to have people providing alternatives. Big smile

3. Is providing money and TV sets and basic needs and influencing people to convert a forced conversion?

It is the people who are not accepting Jesus in their lives, but just TV in their home. Dead.  It is just like vote banks comprising of the needy. I find these conversions fake and unjust to Christianity as well as to their original religion. 

4. Orphanages run by missionaries convert every inmate to Christianity. Is it right?

Well, if they feed them and take care of them and preach them their way of life,  I see nothing wrong in that.  Children are moulded by the environment they are in.  That they are given an opportunity to lead a life of good deeds rather than stealing / begging on streets due to lack of care-giver, I see nothing wrong there.   They are not sly, since it is a known fact that they believe in psreading the religion across the globe.

5. Govt. is planning to make religious reference compulsory in class 10th because some are converting to get job through reservation while applying to professional courses. What is your take on it?

That is disgusting behaviour.  (neo-budhdhists is another example since many of those are clueless about the teachings of budhha.  All they know is anti-Brahminism) 
IMO, these people really have no religion and no love for anyone except themselves.  These are a bunch of manipulative people who belong to no religion.

Well said!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged
Thanks SB. Come on guys, let us hear from all and especially from those who have experiences of this sort! Would love to know more.  thnx
Big smile

Edited by mermaid_QT - 21 March 2007 at 3:47pm

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Thanks SB. Come on guys, let us hear from all and especially from those who have experiences of this sort! Would love to know more.  thnx
Big smile

You beat me to it, but I will add a footnote:

I have experienced proseltyzation, and fairly aggressive one at that, but it went in from one ear and out through the other. In my opinion, banning is never a solution - it merely increases the curiosity factor and invokes mostly knee-jerk reactions. The reason proseltyzation works in the poorer sections of society is purely economical. On an empty stomach, the lines distinguishing the spiral of the temple from the steeple of the church do tend to get blurred.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged
indeed SB!..  

Edited by mermaid_QT - 21 March 2007 at 4:14pm

Sound

IF-Rockerz

Sound

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged
It's not just the poor who they target for conversion. I mean I am no Tata Birla but I am in no need of donations from the Church.

I belong to a Hindu family living in Canada.
We have been visited by some ambassadors of Christanity. A few years ago, my brother had come back from school and was alone at home when he was paid a visit by 2 men who were spreading the message of Christanity in the community knocking on doors. My brother was a little freaked out when they started preaching in the doorway, he stood there listening for a long time before he could utter a word. And when he finally managed to let them know that he was not interested in converting, they gave him a couple of hymn books and asked him to read them and they will be back to know if he had reconsidered his decision. Confused
They had been back the following weekend and when my brother refused to attend them, I had a brief talk with them letting them know that we were happy with our religion, they then asked me to return the books they had left with my brother.

But that wasn't the end. We are still occasionally visited by such people and I think the tolerance is wearing a bit thin and we can't bother being too polite anymore.
Now getting back to your post Maya, I have experienced how persuasive such people can be. But being a firm believer in my faith and in no need of help, I can see how it is easy for people like us to resist changes firmly. But for these people you have mentioned most of whom are in dire straits, any help is a great help (doobte ko tinke ka sahara) If these missionaries bring with them a promise of a better life, I can't blame these people for being open to it. For Missiomaries, their mission is to spread the message of Christ and the more people they can get to believe in their faith, the more successful they consider their life to be. They might be luring people into their faith with materialistic things such as TV, but if they think that's the right way to go, then that's their belief! I would call TV a luxury but in areas where they are helping people improve living standards, I think religion is just a means to enhance life, not to restrict it. If claiming allegiance to one faith helps you lead a better life, I think the purpose of having religion in society is served right there.

I am sorry about the long post. I do not agree with the missionaries way of dealing things, but if nothing else in our country (the governement, people) can help those in need and they can, then I can't seem to find a problem. I agree with QT, banning will not be the solution in a secular country like India.

Just to end, I do not advocate for these missionaries, but I do believe that self comes before society or religion. And unless the govt has better proposals to offer than what the missionaries have, they shouldn't think about banning them.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

devashree_hJess...RamKiJanaki..

Sound

IF-Rockerz

Sound

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged
I can't believe I just wrote a post that long. I am sorry for everyone who reads it. Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top