IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 20 March 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged
hey i just bought a 160 GB external hard drive few days ago
and i need help "using" it LOL
acha its hooked up and everything to the usb drive
and i have some files on it

but i just had some questions

if i transfer all my files from the C drive then can i erase my C drive?
and i just wanna know can i just transfer all my C files and other files (music, word documents, etc) to the external hard drive and just keep in mixed order?
like i dont need to make a C drive folder in the external hard drive or anything right?

and i transfered my music to the external hard drive
but in windows media player there are my playlists with all songs in them
and if i delete the song from the origional location (my documents) and then i click the song in WMP on playlists it will not work OuchConfused
even though i have it transfered to the external hard drive
so that means after transfering it to the external hard drive i have to click the file and after it plays in WMP then add it to my playlist again???

i hope ppl understand my problems loll

thanks in advanceTongue

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "help with external hard drive!!" in Computers, Science, Technology forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

amar1089

amar1089

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
even if you were to copy the entire c:/ in to the external drive you need to tell the computer were to boot from.

RonnieK

IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by amar1089

even if you were to copy the entire c:/ in to the external drive you need to tell the computer were to boot from.

acha what does that mean?lol

dannyk

IF-Veteran Member

dannyk

Posted: 28 March 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged
its kinda confusing .. but still i will try ..

Most of the time external hard disk is used to take backup only ..

C: of the computer contain system file of operating system like windows so even if you copy the same on the external hard drive please do not delete the same form the C: of the computer ...

instead of transfering all file at one location in external file if you group them in one folder on the basis of the file typr that will be more help full to locate the same ..

okye now about music.. try to add the music file from the external hard disk instead of the adding the same from the same from the "C:" then i don't think this will make any problem ..

hope this will be help full to resolve the queries ..

RonnieK

IF-Rockerz

RonnieK

Posted: 01 April 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by dannyk

its kinda confusing .. but still i will try ..

Most of the time external hard disk is used to take backup only ..

C: of the computer contain system file of operating system like windows so even if you copy the same on the external hard drive please do not delete the same form the C: of the computer ...

instead of transfering all file at one location in external file if you group them in one folder on the basis of the file typr that will be more help full to locate the same ..

okye now about music.. try to add the music file from the external hard disk instead of the adding the same from the same from the "C:" then i don't think this will make any problem ..

hope this will be help full to resolve the queries ..

thanks for the helpTongue
but u think i should delete the program files from C: after i transfer them to E:?

albusdumbledore

IF-Dazzler

albusdumbledore

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 5:44am | IP Logged
Your computer will not boot up (i.e. start up) if you transfer all your files to your USB drive and erase your host (primary or C:) drive. That is bcoz .... your USB drive won't show up on your system till the time your OS (operating system) boots up... (which in this case will be on the USB drive!!!!)

Which means you won't have access to your drive till you get an OS installed; which you can't since its on your USB drive.... its a bit like you're trying to wriggle out of quicksand... the harder you try getting free the more it grips and pulls you down...

hope you got what I tried to make you understand...

Instead make your USB drive like a backup disk... and use it like that. as far as your songs are concerned you'll have to make a new playlist or manually modify the playlist to point to the new location.

webmining

webmining

Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:48pm | IP Logged
you said is right Tongue

dannyk

IF-Veteran Member

dannyk

Posted: 16 June 2008 at 11:35pm | IP Logged
hope u already get the answer of the queries ..

but External HDD generally used for backup purpose ...so you can transfer the music movie or other document files to the HDD ... but do not move the system file like from windows directory or programs files to external HDD or to other drive of computer as this will cause to crash of your computer .. so always carefull when u dealing with the system files ..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top