Sports/Cricket

Sehwag steers India to record win

anishma24 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Sehwag steers India to record win

< = =text/> POSTED: 2132 GMT (0532 HKT), March 19, 2007

Sehwag celebrates his century against Bermuda as India set a World Cup record.

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (Reuters) -- A Virender Sehwag century steered India to a record World Cup total as debutants Bermuda were crushed by the biggest ever one-day victory margin of 257 runs on Monday.

India piled up 413 for five before Bermuda were skittled for 156 in the Group B encounter.

India swept past Sri Lanka's previous highest total of 398 for five, made against Kenya in 1996.

The result will keep alive India's qualification hopes after their shock opening game defeat by Bangladesh on Saturday.

They eclipsed Australia's previous one-day record victory margin of 256 runs, achieved against Namibia in the 2003 World Cup.

Sehwag blazed an 87-ball 114 for his eighth one-day hundred to set the tone in a 202-run second wicket stand with Saurav Ganguly (89) after Bermuda put them into bat.

Yuvraj Singh (83 off 46 balls) and Sachin Tendulkar (57 not out off 29 balls) then tore into Bermuda's lightweight bowling to pile up 122 runs from just 63 balls for the fifth wicket.

The 1983 champions still need to defeat a formidable Sri Lankan side convincingly in their third and final group game on Friday to be in contention if three teams tie on points.

It was 28-year-old Sehwag's first one-day century for nearly two years.

Yuvraj Singh then smashed 83 off 46 balls and Sachin Tendulkar 57 not out in a whirlwind 122-run fifth wicket stand as Indian batsmen vented their frustration after their shock defeat to Bangladesh on Saturday.

The last 10 overs netted 136 runs, Tendulkar hoisting seamer David Hemp over square leg for six to bring up the Cup record total and produce the first 400-run total in the tournament.

The 1983 champions need convincing victories against Bermuda and Sri Lanka -- they meet on Friday -- to avoid a first-round exit if three teams tie on points.

Bermuda's 17-year-old paceman Malachi Jones struck with his first World Cup delivery to remove opener Robin Uthappa (3) in the second over.

Uthappa edged a rising ball and Bermudan policeman Dwayne Leverock flung his 19-stone frame at slip to produce a stunning one-handed catch.

Sehwag, coming in at number three amid calls for his sacking after making just one fifty in 14 innings, tore into the lightweight bowling to score his eighth one-day hundred, his first since April 2005.

The Delhi batsman struck 17 fours and three sixes until he mistimed a heave off paceman Kevin Hurdle and holed out to Jones at deep mid-off.

Ganguly, 34, looked set for a Cup record fifth hundred until he was stumped against spinner Delyone Borden, who had dropped a stiff chance off Hurdle when he was on 14.

Zimbabwe recover

Sean Williams struck an unbeaten 70 and Zimbabwe recovered from 59 for four to total 202 for five against West Indies in their World Cup Group D match at Kingston, Jamaica, on Monday.

West Indies captain Brian Lara won the toss at Sabina Park and put Zimbabwe in to bat and he was rewarded with fine spells from his two opening bowlers.

Jerome Taylor bowled Friday Kasteni with the first ball of the second over, a delivery which cut back sharply off the seam and then the stumps tumbled at the other end with Vusi Sibanda inexplicably playing no shot to Daren Powell.

Zimbabwe, who tied their opening game against Ireland, were two for two and looking in real trouble.

Taylor struck again in the tenth over, Chamu Chibhabha beaten for pace as he was clean bowled to leave the African side still in difficulty at 31 for three.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Brendan Taylor and Stuart Matsikenyeri looked to lay down some foundations but after getting himself in, the experienced Matsikenyeri paid the price for a poor shot off Devon Smith, his underhit slog going straight to mid-on.

Taylor was joined at the crease by left-hander Williams and with Lara turning to spin -- utilising Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels -- Zimbabwe made some steady, if unspectacular progress.

But just after Taylor completed his patient 50 in 121 balls, taking his side on to 142, he pressed the self-destruct button, run out at the non-striker's end after attempting an ill advised single.

With five down and nine overs left, Zimbabwe needed to step on the accelerator if they were to set West Indies a testing target and Williams and Elton Chigumbura (30) responded well with a 60-run partnership leaving their side with an outside chance.

Ireland and Pakistan complete the group with Pakistan already eliminated after losing to the Irish on Saturday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/03/19/cricket.world.reut/

Sehwag back in form

Special Correspondent

Virender Sehwag
Chennai: Virender Sehwag returned to form against Bermuda with his eighth One Day International hundred in a World Cup Group B match at Port of Spain on Monday. Sehwag, who struck 17 boundaries and three sixes in his 87-ball 114, added 202 runs with Sourav Ganguly for the second wicket in 28.4 overs. At the conclusion of 30 overs, India was 210 for two with Ganguly (76, 96b, 5x4, 2x6) and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (0) at the crease. Tentative in the early stages, Sehwag gradually found his rhythm and range. His trademark back-foot punches were soon scorching the turf. Ganguly, intelligently, played second fiddle on a pitch lacking in pace. The 28-year-old Sehwag was finally caught at deep mid-off by Malachi Jones off paceman Kevin Hurdle.

Bermuda inserted India under a cloud-cover and struck with the new ball. Robin Uthappa (3) edged paceman Malachi Jones in the second over and Dwayne Loverock picked up a brilliant catch in the slips.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/20/stories/2007032010080100.htm

Edited by anishma24 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Well I really happy that he's back in form and in full swing!!

πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I just hope he keeps this pace going!! πŸ˜‰
CuteFairy91 thumbnail
How many ppl here hated him last week?? πŸ˜†
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: anishma24

Bermuda's lightweight

πŸ˜• They all looked heavywieght to me, no offense to anyone...ohhh!! they are talking about the bowling, not players! Ah well, that figures.

Must say, very well played, Sehwag!πŸ‘ Prove me wrong, do India and Dravid proud.πŸ˜‰ (Especially the latter)

I'm really hoping to see Sreesanth, Kumble and Pathan play Sri Lanka and see Uthappa, Agarkar & Dhoni take a rest. If Sachin and Sourav do the opening, that'd be icing on cake.

@Cutefairy: haha, I'm one of those people who hated him last week, though I must admit, he's raised himself slightly in my eyes but the real test is against Sri Lanka, they aren't no Bermuda, after all.πŸ˜‰

Edited by mz.seductive - 17 years ago
coolnitin2 thumbnail
I am so happy for him. I hope he is going to come back in form and make India win.
kali27 thumbnail
thanxxxxxx so much for the article
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
well i am glad he scored runs, but it was against bermuda so there was poor bowling to be punished. he needs to do it against sri lanka now
Rock_Star thumbnail
oh i was one of the ppl who wanted to kill him...but i proved me wrong...i hope he keeps playing like this 😊
Lovers Ka Love thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
SEHWAG. Is the Need Of Indian Team.... as HARD Hitter.
loveanime thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
To do it against SL would be real challenge, they have the best bowlers in the game. Bermuda is cob-wash. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†