Debate Mansion

What is the limit to Freedom??

Sound thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

I had heard this on BBC a few days ago and I didn't know what to think of it. Here's an article that talks about the incestuous siblings from Germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6424937.stm

Having read a couple of articles on these siblings/couple, I understand they are claiming their right to sexual freedom. They also think the law needs to be changed because they are being discriminated against.

They have 4 children and 3 are in foster care with 2 of the kids having unspecified disabilities.

Do you think they are right to challenge the law? France has already changed the law and the supporters of this couple believe German laws are outdated and they need to make changes so that incest is not considered a crime.

I can understand people having different definitions for incest. But surely siblings having children is an incest in every way. Is it right on their part to have children when the medical science claims that children are at greater risk of having special needs? (I am not too knowledgable in this field but I do believe there is medical evidence to suport this)

If such a topic has been discussed before, I am more than willing to move the discussion there, but I basically want to know your views concerning the couple's decision to challenge the law. Should the law really be changed to accomodate them so they can live together as a family?

Views please.........

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Haven't followed the story but whatever I read

This is bizzare... Do you think they are right to challenge the law? NO... would take time to absorb and respond

Nice to see yaa Neetu, lots going on here.

we would fill yaa up.

TC,

I read this before and after reading it again here is my reaction 😲. It is shocking and unbelievable. But if they are providing enough proof and demanding freedom to choose their life partner then what can one say?

Something bad and offensive for me could be ideal and good for them.

Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Tunde tunde matir bhinna.

I am just speechless by reading it. It is very sad situation for both of them for losing their family and last hope to hang on to family life.  But whole situation is Very Bizzare 😲 Dunno what to say. If something is not right for me and offensive to me might be A ok in someone else's books. SO all power to them What can one do? 😕 Edited by Dabulls23 - 17 years ago
raunaq thumbnail
i am still in shock when maya mentioned it and have no words on this topic.

excerpt from the article

"He met his sister Susan for the first time, and according to the couple, after their mother died, they fell in love.

"When I was younger, I didn't know that I had a brother. I met Patrick and I was so surprised," said Susan, who is 22."

it seems that the sister had been emotionally afraid of losing another beloved one after meeting her long lost brother after so many years. their relationship is lopsided. i wouldn't support brother and sister marriage but looking at their family circumstances, they found no other way to live together but to tie the knot emotions have taken over their life. it's weird but as said earlier miya biwi raazi to kya karega qazi. would like to know how parents feel after reading this.Edited by raunaq - 17 years ago
Sudhi.......... thumbnail
This is really freaky but as most of the people are telling what can we do if both of them are happy with their relationship. Considering the scientific fact that there might be medical complications for their kids what they did might be wrong, but we can't just ignore how they feel about each other. The sould be given the freedom to live their own lives.

On second thoughts I think they should be allowed to stay married and govtt. should give their children back. If two consenting adults decide to marry and have children together then who are we or govt. to separate them?  Jab miya biwi raazi to kya karega kazi😛.

More views please. Do you frown upon this union or believe in rights for adults to choose partners?

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

On second thoughts I think they should be allowed to stay married and govtt. should give their children back. If two consenting adults decide to marry and have children together then who are we or govt. to separate them?  Jab miya biwi raazi to kya karega kazi😛.

This is a very tough situation and really difficult to give a logical judgement...

It may not appeal to this, but all cannot be left on the individuals..Then what is law and order for???I guess the government and the system should have a say on certain things to maintain the general well being of the population...

Right to freedom is ONLY until you dont start messing up with someone else's freedom  ...We are a society where hero worship and following others as example is common and we cant take that lightly, if you know what I mean.
Edited by raksha.l - 17 years ago
Morgoth thumbnail
They are living their own lives, not harming anyone, not abusing their children...so why separate them or jail them? They aren't criminals!

Incest may be weird and even disgusting, but its not a crime that people ought to be jailed for it or separated from their children!