Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Naina_Manam

IF-Dazzler

Naina_Manam

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged

Well, I keep hearing from so many people that book covers really matter a lot to them.  Some people even say that they will only read a book if the cover is pretty and catchy.

So, this is my question for you all, do you look at the cover and decide whether or not the book's worth reading?

If you're in library in front of two books, one with a very nice cover and the other not so much, which one would you pick?

Do you really think it's fair to judge a book merely by its cover?

Isn't it disrespectful in regards to the author who works so hard on the story and then just due pasty cover, some readers shun the book?

Looking forward to having a good discussion - The floor is all yours! Embarrassed

Edited by Naina_Manam - 11 March 2007 at 3:52pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Does the Book Cover matter?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Khaya

IF-Stunnerz

Khaya

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 3:52am | IP Logged
Gr8 topic... my friend and I were at a library lately and we were talking about how there's a saying 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' however we both agreed that the cover of the book does have a big impact... there are some books that stand out and you want to know more about it just because of what you see-first impressions are always important. However, we don't judge a book entirely on the cover-I think what you see is not always true. I have read books with not the best covers but which have a wonderful story and other books with fabulous covers and not so good stories. I don't think you should just look at the cover to judge the book but yes, a book cover plays a huge role...

Edited by rukhaya - 11 March 2007 at 3:54am

Naughty_n_nice

IF-Veteran Member

Naughty_n_nice

IFs Creative Head

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged

There's a new quote actually... "Don't judge a book by it's movie".... Now THAT is a whole new discussion altogether, let me not drift away from topic...

One cannot really judge a book by the cover, but we must keep in mind that a good authot will pay much attention to the cover. It depends.... if it's a completely new book, one can go by the by what people have said about it or reviews, but if you've never heard of the book, reading the back cover summary is a good option Embarrassed However boring the book is, i think the summary should be brilliant, so catch the reader's attention...

But no, if i have 2 books in front of me, one with a good cover, I'll still pick the one which seems like a better read. If both sound equally interesting, i check upon which authot is better, and other such criteria... If nothing helps, I read a few lines....

Worst situation, I take both.

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Naughty_n_nice

There's a new quote actually... "Don't judge a book by it's movie".... Now THAT is a whole new discussion altogether, let me not drift away from topic...

One cannot really judge a book by the cover, but we must keep in mind that a good authot will pay much attention to the cover. It depends.... if it's a completely new book, one can go by the by what people have said about it or reviews, but if you've never heard of the book, reading the back cover summary is a good option Embarrassed However boring the book is, i think the summary should be brilliant, so catch the reader's attention...

But no, if i have 2 books in front of me, one with a good cover, I'll still pick the one which seems like a better read. If both sound equally interesting, i check upon which authot is better, and other such criteria... If nothing helps, I read a few lines....

Worst situation, I take both.

I am exactly the same....but its true that a good  book cover attracts ppl more.

Btw...excellent topic Naina

kal-el

IF-Sizzlerz

kal-el

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 3:21am | IP Logged
def not the book cover can be dull as anything its whats inside that matters, it could have colorful cover an be reallly boring

Naughty_n_nice

IF-Veteran Member

Naughty_n_nice

IFs Creative Head

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged

Yes, but sometimes the thing is, the cover catches your eye and THEN you check out the matter... while the poor other bad cover book is ignored despite the cover.

But if there are 2 books, i'd pick the better one... It's just the catch-the-eye hitch Embarrassed

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged
Yes, yes, yes.

Call me shallow, but I think a good cover or interesting title does catch one's eye first.

I used to think the HP books were childish and a joke even though I had never read them because I was put off by the cover of HP and the Phil. Stone!

I had an about turn after reading it though, which is a different story altogether.

How about posting some attractive book covers that you all come across on this thread?

Mini786

IF-Dazzler

Mini786

Posted: 15 March 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Hmmm, interesting topic..
I myself tell my sister, never judge a book by its cover, yet i do that sometimes...Usualy if i see two books, one with a cathcy cover, and one thats not so catchy...I usualy pick both up and read the back...If it sounds interesting i read it, if not I go to the middle of the book and read a few pages...
And no i dont think its fair to judge the book by its cover, because the cover doesnt play the whole book, i mean the book is not just the cover, its the story within that the author took so much time writing...
Big smile

-Mahak-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top