Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 5:28am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

ricky82Lovely_VidaPensiveraj5000Naina_Manamindiangirl07

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is cricket overtaking other sports?" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

umi82990

IF-Sizzlerz

umi82990

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged
Yes. To me cricket is the ultimate sport!

Cricket has already overtaken every other sport. I was just watching the news and they were selling Cricket hats, caps, shirts, and holi rang packaged in cricket pictures for Holi. I've never seen any other sport create such a big buzz. I'm in America and everyone here knows cricket and when I go to India, they don't know football. Cricket has overtaken every sport!!

It is not the WC. The WC is adding to the buzz but Cricket itself is a big sport that is world-wide recognized!!

-Just my views! Wink

kggk_fan01

IF-Dazzler

kggk_fan01

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged
nope i dont think so. im not interested in cricket. Many people here in USA dont even know what that is Embarrassed but dont worry, im not one of those people LOL just i dont know how they play, i knew they run from where they hit to where the guy "pitched"(not sure what its called in cricket either, this is from baseball.the name) the ball.

here in USA, many people are interested in football. and also soccer. i personally am interested in basketball! Tongue

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged

In India cricket happens to be that successfully marketed sport! If other sports generate more interest and India has more successes in other sports certainly sponsors will queue up to support them.

And also Which is the most popular game in the streets in Spain? It is soccer. In the US, it is baseball. And in India, it is obviously cricket. We grow up with cricket and it is the most affordable and enjoyable game on the streets, unlike hockey, tennis or swimming. It is simply because of this fact that cricket has been so dominant.

And with mega stars such as Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly who can't be denied as players of international standard playing for India, they naturally appeal to us more. Individual-oriented games like tennis, chess can never attain more sponsorship than popular team games, not just in India. It is the cricket team's skill which has made it so popular. Though not officially, cricket is India's national game. (And also we cant deny that its the only team game India is at par with International standard )

I think it would be unfortunate if we say that cricket is killing other sports in India. How can we say that? Before 1980, hockey was the most popular sport in India. Football was also more popular than cricket at that time. But now it has fallen behind cricket. Who is responsible for this? In my opinion, the federations of respective sports are responsible.

The officials of other sports are unable to promote the game properly. On the other hand, the BCCI has done an excellent job. Even after the match-fixing-scandal, cricket has not lost its popularity. The BCCI should be given full credit for this. They have spread the game superbly even into the remote villages of India. That is why a child in a remote village knows the name of Sachin, but not Leander Peas.

kal-el

IF-Sizzlerz

kal-el

Posted: 05 March 2007 at 4:02am | IP Logged
its always been no1 in the asian countries like india an pakistan but in england it will always be football first, anyway whatever sports is on or there is a major event it becomes the no1 sport of the moment but for me its always gonna be football

Athena90

IF-Rockerz

Athena90

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 05 March 2007 at 4:36am | IP Logged
Nope!!

Before i start out, no offense meant to anyone!

Cricket - as i'll describe it: A game where 10 people wait for the ball to fall in their hand!

Cricket is popular in limited countries. In countries like India, Pakistan many people have devoted their life to cricket. They breathe cricket. In India, EVERY kid knows what cricket is and EVERY kid plays it. But just because thats the state in a few countries, doesnt make the sport so pupular.

Very few countries actually play cricket. Unlike other sports like football, athletics, only a limited number of countries play it. And fewer countries play an interesting game (if u know what i mean)

Since few people play the sport, only a few people know about it and enjoy it. It appeals to only a limited numbver of people.Besides, its not everyone who either has the luxury of time or the patience to watch a match for 5 days and see it end in a draw.

Cricket, by no means is over taking other sports. In fact, i'll say its lagging behind. In terms of popularity, fair play, sportsman ship, excitement, competitive leves etc.

I'm a cricket fan, but i prefer other sports like soccer, basketball etc

amrit23

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 05 March 2007 at 4:52am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top