•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago

Hall khaali! 😆

The hypewriter falters. Ram Gopal Verma's Nishabd opened to near-empty halls yesterday

Kunal M Shah

The disastrous opening of Ram Gopal Verma's much-talked-about Nishabd has come as a huge shock to the entire film industry. Analogous to an excessively blown-up bubble bursting, the film has opened to shockingly low collections, clearly indicating that Ramu's version of Lolita is a dampener.

The collections vary from 6 per cent to 30 per cent in Mumbai. In fact, most places could not even rake in collections beyond 20 per cent. The film has spelt disaster to investors even outside Mumbai.

Taran Adarsh, editor, Trade Guide, says, "There are many reasons for the film's dismal opening at the box-office. The first being that the pre-Holi period is always considered thanda, in terms of collections. Secondly, this kind of love story does not appeal to Indian viewers. The audiences in India are very orthodox and cannot accept it. Lastly, Ram Gopal Verma's credibility has taken a backseat in recent times. It is a reality that in India, such stories cannot be accepted. There are certain things which cannot be shown publicly."

We spoke to a few of the very few viewers who saw the film yesterday. A 37-year-old viewer from Fort, Anil Singh, says, "It's a pathetic movie, to say the least. The story is unrealistic and I found it difficult to relate to it. They have dealt with a complex and serious issue in an extremely juvenile manner. It's almost comic."

SC Jain, 67, from Mulund says, "RGV has tried to recreate the magic of Lamhe, but with little success. While I must admit that Amitabh's performance is worth watching, the movie failed to impress me. It could have been better."

Meanwhile, 33-year-old Sanjay V Shah from Kandivli says he doesn't want to see the film. "I have not seen the film as I think that an actor like Amitabh Bachchan should never do a film like this. He is more of a father figure and should have refused the film. Secondly, I think that RGV has become more of a publicist than a filmmaker. He's interested in creating news, not making movies. Films run on content and not on good promos and posters."

FLOP SHOW 

•  New Empire- 6.88 per cent
•  Maratha Mandir- 38.98 per cent
•  Cinemax- Kandivli-13.28 per cent (5 shows)
•  Ashish Chembur-14 per cent (2 shows)
•  Fun Republic-15 per cent (5 shows)
•  Cinemax Versova-26 per cent
•  Cinemax- Sion-28 per cent
•  Thane Wonder Mall - 21 per cent
•  Thane Eternity- 41per cent
•  Cinemax- Goregoan: 16 per cent (2 shows)
•  Regal- 15 per cent

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=30&contentid=20070303042559500a2002969
Haven't watched it yet...but thankoo 😊
RGv factory sucks...ram gopal for strange reasuns hav devolpd so much of stinkin attitude that he cant see anythin beyond wat he thinks is right..he is an ASS&^*&$.......he used to make gud movies...now he SUCKS!
Ram Gopal Varma's latest venture Nishabd has had a shaky start with the general audiences staying away from the taboo themed film on start. The opening in multiplexes was hovering at 35-40% occupancy.

The collections are much worse for the Sanjay Dutt-Saif Ali Khan starrer Nehle Pe Dehla which like Nishabd had been in legal tangle over its release date. This comedy film saw 10-15% occupancy on opening day.

www.ibosnetwork.com
Originally posted by Fashion_2005

Hall khaali! 😆

The hypewriter falters. Ram Gopal Verma's Nishabd opened to near-empty halls yesterday

Kunal M Shah

The disastrous opening of Ram Gopal Verma's much-talked-about Nishabd has come as a huge shock to the entire film industry. Analogous to an excessively blown-up bubble bursting, the film has opened to shockingly low collections, clearly indicating that Ramu's version of Lolita is a dampener.

The collections vary from 6 per cent to 30 per cent in Mumbai. In fact, most places could not even rake in collections beyond 20 per cent. The film has spelt disaster to investors even outside Mumbai.

Taran Adarsh, editor, Trade Guide, says, "There are many reasons for the film's dismal opening at the box-office. The first being that the pre-Holi period is always considered thanda, in terms of collections. Secondly, this kind of love story does not appeal to Indian viewers. The audiences in India are very orthodox and cannot accept it. Lastly, Ram Gopal Verma's credibility has taken a backseat in recent times. It is a reality that in India, such stories cannot be accepted. There are certain things which cannot be shown publicly."

We spoke to a few of the very few viewers who saw the film yesterday. A 37-year-old viewer from Fort, Anil Singh, says, "It's a pathetic movie, to say the least. The story is unrealistic and I found it difficult to relate to it. They have dealt with a complex and serious issue in an extremely juvenile manner. It's almost comic."

SC Jain, 67, from Mulund says, "RGV has tried to recreate the magic of Lamhe, but with little success. While I must admit that Amitabh's performance is worth watching, the movie failed to impress me. It could have been better."

Meanwhile, 33-year-old Sanjay V Shah from Kandivli says he doesn't want to see the film. "I have not seen the film as I think that an actor like Amitabh Bachchan should never do a film like this. He is more of a father figure and should have refused the film. Secondly, I think that RGV has become more of a publicist than a filmmaker. He's interested in creating news, not making movies. Films run on content and not on good promos and posters."

FLOP SHOW 

•  New Empire- 6.88 per cent
•  Maratha Mandir- 38.98 per cent
•  Cinemax- Kandivli-13.28 per cent (5 shows)
•  Ashish Chembur-14 per cent (2 shows)
•  Fun Republic-15 per cent (5 shows)
•  Cinemax Versova-26 per cent
•  Cinemax- Sion-28 per cent
•  Thane Wonder Mall - 21 per cent
•  Thane Eternity- 41per cent
•  Cinemax- Goregoan: 16 per cent (2 shows)
•  Regal- 15 per cent

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;am p;sectid=30&contentid=20070303042559500a2002969

Taran Adarsh, Iis koh kehte hain giroh toh giroh, taang oonchi.😉

OMG, that's really shocking, so much publicity and still very low collections?? 😕

thx for the article dear 😉
By Taran Adarsh, March 3, 2007 - 08:33 IST

B.O. update: Poor start for 'Nishabd', 'N.P.D.'

Pre-Holi is considered a dull period year after year and this year is no exception. NISHABD and NEHLLE PE DEHLLA, the two biggies that opened this Friday, cut a sorry picture at the ticket window. NISHABD opened to a 20%-30% response, with the word of mouth being negative, while the fate of NEHLLE PE DEHLLA was worse; its opening was as low as 10%-15% in several screens.

Will the business show a jump in the coming days? Your guess is as good as ours!
Disastrous Nishabd!
[3 Mar 2007]

The disastrous opening of much hyped Ram Gopal Varma's ' Nishabd', starring Amitabh Bachchan and the sexy siren Jiah Khan, at the box office on Friday has made the whole film industry truly Nishabd (speechless). The exhibitors are in a state of shock as the collections on the first day was around seven percent at New Empire and going maximum to twenty eight percent at Cinemax, Sion. At most of other theaters the collection was well below twenty percent on the first day itself.

Trade analysts are attributing this dismal performance at the box office to several factors associated with the film industry. As one analyst puts it, 'the pre- Holi period is always considered as thanda, in terms of collections. Secondly, this kind of love story does not appeal to Indian viewers. The audiences in India are very orthodox and can not accept it. Lastly, Ram Gopal Varma's credibility has taken a backseat in recent times. It is a reality that in India, such stories cannot be accepted. There are certain things that can not be shown publicly.'

In fact, the audiences, who did see the movie, were of the opinion that they could not relate to the theme of the film which was quite unrealistic. The director has dealt with a complex subject in a childish fashion. Others felt that it was a poor adaptation of ' Lolita' which was a bold movie. In ' Nishabd', Ram Gopal Varma has avoided the sexual angle completely and has tried to give a philosophical touch to relationship between Amitabh Bachcan and Jiah Khan.

In fact, the film has Amitabh playing the part of a photographer, while Jiah Khan is his daughter's friend and comes over to stay with them. In the meantime, she is attracted to Big B and slowly Amitabh too feels himself attracted towards her. But in the whole process sexual element is completely missing and that is what audiences could not fathom. Some sexual overtures on the part of Big B could have changed the outcome at the box office. After all sex sells!

http://magnamags.com/magna_stardust/node/848