Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

del..  we are cewl then!  I appreciate

I seems to have missed lot of action and hungama on DM😭.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

I seems to have missed lot of action and hungama on DM😭.

pages 1 and 2 are not deleted..
ani and i-  just that we have calmed down after my sincere apology and we are promoting matured behaviour now 😉 ...
SOURO, please report me.  Did I not start a thread saying somebody BAN me.. may be U R my Godsent help 😆😆
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ani11

Qwerty what i am trying to say is although the Indians here can do without the indian values but still they make an effort to instill that values in our kids,most of the families i have seen here like to keep their culture intact ,they are not throwing the tradition away.

You are absolutely right...

The thing is when u try to instill those indian values in kids all they feel is cheated when they go into the outside world... The important thing here is not only instill these values but also build a community of these like-minded individuals.. is that what we do in asian/indian cultural programs where most of these ABD's can relate to our culture.... As i told you western culture is too loose and its way to easy to adopt it and bash indian culture than otherwise,,,😊.. Its easier to live without rules than live with them..In indian culture the hierarchy is so strongly set that I sometimes have to salute these indian women who make tough decisions to uphold these values..This woman may be in the elite cirlces in india or in the slums... she is larger than life...😊

People who profess to certain things and have their own unconventional way of demonstrating it carry hardly any credibility since all it does it like telling people to accept you on face value...😊

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

Hmmm...there goes my first chance to try out the report button. 😭 

Well...ok maybe I'll have better luck (fun 😛) next time.

I thouhgt u can use the report button only if somebody used a four letter word without an asterisk isnt it?😆

ok i dont mean criticize west but there r some thing which may lead to this opinion. in bride and prejudice which is made by gulvinder there was this girl who was very much like a snob the girl who was the sister of fiance of namrat sirodkar. she did wear some very skimpy clothes.

and there r hollywood movies where women do wear very revealing clothes. so may be the makers get to the conclusion. and am sure they would have been abroad several times. may be they have shown wht they saw.
ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago

If we had a Poo from K3G then there was a Simran from DDLJ. It has nothing to do with NRIs or rich Indians. They are just fictional characters of those two movies. This is not a new trend in Bollywood. Even back then we had many "phoren-returned" characters playing somewhat closer to Poo character.

There were and still are directors like Satyajit Ray, Adoor Gopalakrishnan and more recently a pseudo-director Deepa Mehta who portray India only with all its negativity and win accolades in the west. That is not real India either but one facet of it.

Most of the films are made for pure entertainment whereas some are made purely to gather accolades in the west and win awards. Those who bother to make a film with a strong message make documentaries.

Originally posted by: tania.ganguly

A character in Bride and Prejudice is by no way a correct portrayal of western culture.

Just like we cry foul when a journalist shows a homeless child and mother and says this is a picture of current India, movies like "Swordfish" are not correct portrayal of the west either.

Agree to Maya's comments on cinema being there for making greenbucks at boxoffice or accolade at Cannes.

my point in giving gurinder's example was that she is from england and even she has potrayed this type of a character in her film.

may be there r such people which u would not have met.

we cant generalise like indian r always great and cultured and west r always not or vice versa but good and bad people r every where in every country.

Originally posted by: .:Aphrodite:.

I see people say this all the time so I'm gonna ask what exactly are these great "Indian values" that those "immoral" *cough* people in West lack?

I am sick and tired of this superiority complex that quite a lot of desis have.

for that u wil have to live in india.