Debate Mansion

Why arent there pak channels in india? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 5

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 5
Page 4 Page 5

Noor_64

Goldie

Noor_64

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by Noor_64

When my mom was younger, she said tha only good channels available in Punjab were Pakistani ones, so everyone watched them

Television came to India in the 80s and I grew up in the 80s. In my view Doordarshan had the best dramas ever and I won't agree with anyone who says otherwise. Now I hope Doordarshan was available in Punjab. I respect your mother's views though.Tongue

Doordarshan? Yea, it may have been available in Amritsar..don't know for sure, though..good question..haha Embarrassed All I know is that my mom and her cousins used to watch Pak channels ..I guess there must have been a reason for that..for some reason the one's she recalls most fondly are Pak ones..that may, again, be simply because of the quality of the dramas or the availability of them..Confused To each their own opinion, tho..Embarrassed I've personally never watched Doordarshan dramas, so I wouldn't know!

.but now they're not even available anymore! I guess it's cuz people think with so many Indian channels, no one would want to watch Pak ones..but that's NOT true, because Pak dramas are SOOOO different from Indian ones! I think if Pak drama channels like ARY were made available in some parts of India, they would be quite popular! Because Pak dramas, for the most part are really good..there would definetely be a market for them b/c they'd fill that market niche that heavy, drawn-out and dramatic Indian dramas don't really fill anymore.. Wink

I have not watched any Pakistani drama so I can't compare them to Hindi shows. You would know better since you have watched both Hindi and Pakistani dramas. But in India we have so many languages and there are tons of channels in each language. If Hindi shows are inferior then Indians have tons of regional channels to satisfy their need for quality dramas so they still won't find Pakistanis dramas attractive. For instance I watch Sony and Zee and when I don't find anything attractive in those channels I switch to Surya and Kairali (Malayalam channels) and if nothing else then American channels.

Personally, I find Punjabi dramas to be utter bakwaas, for the most part! So if I only spoke Pun, Hindi, and Urdu, then I wouldn't left with too many choices!Tongue I understand that most other Indians wouldn't have this problem, since they probably enjoy the programmes on their regional channels, but I'm talking about a small niche market here, not a national one! I know that beyond a few areas in maybe Punjab, Delhi, and/or Hyderabad, etc, there wouldn't be much demand, but I still think there would be quite a significant amount! I'm sure I'm not the only Indian who enjoys Hindi AND Pak dramas! I think maybe they should have trial versions of the channels in areas where there's potential for a market, just to see the scope of the audience..Embarrassed Because Hindi and Urdu dramas are VERY different content and story-wise, I think they really could find a base audience in some areas..Tongue

And I'm sure all the Urdu-speaking Indians who have difficulty understanding Hindi-laden dramas would welcome them, as well! LOL

As far as I know none of the Urdu speaking Indians has a problem understanding Hindi. As you can see even on DM most of us belong to non-Hindi region but we are very knowledgable about Hindi shows and Hindi films. Urdu is after all a variant of Hindi so it shouldn't be that difficult to understandTongue. There are channels which broadcast Urdu shows (made in India) in predominately Urdu speaking areas like Hyderabad, Lucknow and Srinagar. But still if your relatives are feeling left out then they should contact the local cable operators and give the petition. If the cable operators find more people interested in a partticular drama then I am sure they will air it.

I think the Urdu dramas produced in Pak are better quality than those produced in India, simply because Urdu is the official language there, while here Urdu is simply one of the many..I may be wrong, though, since I've only seen 1 or 2 Indian Urdu dramas before! Embarrassed I also understand that for many non-Hindi speakers, Hindi may not be too difficult to understand, but for me, at least, dramas with a lot of sanskrit-rooted rather than persian or arabic-rooted Hindi words are difficult to understand! (Thankfully, though, the majority of Indian Dramas aren't like that..LOL)Your idea about petitioning broadcasters is a good one, though! Maybe I'll try that one day..Wink I think that a solution to any Urdu/Hindi problems would be to petition for better Urdu dramas! So I'll be taking that into account on my next trip to India..Wink 

I am sure that Pakistani dramas are rich in quality but this thread is not about which country has quality dramas but about why Pakistani channels are not aired in India and the reply is lack of interest.

I have to agree with your above statement! There IS a lack of interest, although I do think that it is partially due to a lack of awareness! Embarrassed Pakistanis are fully aware of and knowledgeable regarding Indian dramas now that they have started airing regularly there, so that's why there is greater demand over there for our dramas!Tongue And either way, there will ALWAYS be less demand for Pak dramas in India because India is SO big, and has so many non-Urdu speaking people! LOL Although I agree that the demand for Pak dramas, even if people were made aware of them, would be small, I still think it would be significant, comparatively!Embarrassed

And BTW, guys, I'm definetely not insulting Indian dramas in any way! I'm a die-hard fan of a lot of dramas on Zee and Sony and some on StarPlus, so don't get me wrong!LOL I'm just a die-hard fan of a lot of Pak dramas, as well!Embarrassed..I guess you can call me weird, because I don't know any non-NRI's who like both like me..LOL

Edited by Noor_64 - 26 February 2007 at 11:40pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why arent there pak channels in india? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Noor_64

Goldie

Noor_64

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged

How can there be Pak Channels in the 80s when there was only PTV that time whic was a nationalised program televised by Pak govt.? Cable TV came only in the 90s. Doordarshan was India's national channel and it had one the best dramas ever. There are many people on DM who have watched doordarshan at that time and can vouch for it. I won't agree with anyone who says the quality of dramas were poor then.

Are you sure that info is correct? Because my mom came to Canada in 1988, and didn't watch any Pak dramas in Canada..which means she must have watched them while living in Amritsar, India..Confused Maybe the proximity of Amritsar to the border had something to do with it? I honestly have no clue! LOL 

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged

Noor_64

Goldie

Noor_64

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged

How can there be Pak Channels in the 80s when there was only PTV that time whic was a nationalised program televised by Pak govt.? Cable TV came only in the 90s. Doordarshan was India's national channel and it had one the best dramas ever. There are many people on DM who have watched doordarshan at that time and can vouch for it. I won't agree with anyone who says the quality of dramas were poor then.

Are you sure that info is correct? Because my mom came to Canada in 1988, and didn't watch any Pak dramas in Canada..which means she must have watched them while living in Amritsar, India..Confused Maybe the proximity of Amritsar to the border had something to do with it? I honestly have no clue! LOL 

I am 100% sure. There was only Pakistan national TV and India's Doordarshan. No cable in either countries in the 80s.

Then how did my mom watch Pak dramas? LOL Maybe off tape? haha I'll have to ask..I'll come back with the info later..Tongue

Noor_64

Goldie

Noor_64

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged

The answer to the question asked by the topic starter is in the article posted below. I think it is unnecessary to get into an argument as which country airs better drama. We can go back and forth on thisTongue. To each it's own. So enjoy what you like and let others watch what they like.

Source: http://www.internews.org.pk 

Monday February 19, 2007

A daily review of media coverage of media and communications issues

Indian Information Minister has clarified that there is no ban on Pakistani channels in India. But transmission is not operational as channels are not registered with Indian authorities. Indian Information Minister P R Das Bunsi told that there was no truth in such news that there was ban on Pakistani channels in India. Pakistani channels have been given enough time, but they didn't apply for registration. Indian policy was very simple as registration was necessity for foreign channels. He told that state PTV and private channels like geo, ARY and QTV were not registered in India.

That's true..I think Indian and Pak dramas each have their plusses and minuses, and neither is better than the other! Although technology-wise, Indian ones are a lot clearer picture and sound-wise..LOL

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 2:00am | IP Logged

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged

simple. if there was a buck to be made showing pak channels in india, there'd be an enterprising guy in india doing it. Smile if they can import chinese goods like crazy these days, they're not going to get too bashful bringing in pak channels too if it could be commercially viable. it's just that the audience has to buy into it, which from the looks of it, they dont. after all, how long can u see the same fella in movies who comes in soaps who's advertising for some phone card who's also a producer and a one-man show? Wink

btw, what's his name?Tongue

Edited by chatbuster - 27 February 2007 at 7:27am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top