Page 1 of 1

Sur_Sangam

IF-Dazzler

Sur_Sangam

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged

Bill Gates keeps close eye on kids' computer time

Tue Feb 20, 6:13 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Just because you're the daughter of

Bill Gates does not mean you get to play on your computer all day long.

The Microsoft (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) founder said his 10-year-old daughter, his oldest child, was not a hard-core Internet and computer user until this year, when she started at a school where the students use tablet computers for almost everything.

"She became very avid and discovered a lot of computer games, including one that runs on the

Xbox 360 called Viva Pinata, where you take care of your garden," he told a business audience in Ottawa.

"She could spend two or three hours a day on this Viva Pinata, because it's kind of engaging and fun."

Gates said he and his wife Melinda decided to set a limit of 45 minutes a day of total screen time for games and an hour a day on weekends, plus what time she needs for homework.

Microsoft's new Vista software enables parents to control the Web sites their kids go to but also includes an audit log that records sites they have visited and whom they've been Instant Messaging.

"Up to some age, to be determined, it's very appropriate for a parent to get a sense of what they're seeing out there and be able to have conversations about it," he said.

"My son said, 'Am I going to have limits like this my whole life?', and I said, 'No, when you move away you can set your own screen limits'," Gates recounted, to audience laughter.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kggk_fan01

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Bill Gates daughter’s computer time" in Computers, Science, Technology forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

othniel

othniel

Posted: 14 March 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
If You got Children you'll act like the same , who Knows may be even worse Smile
great job BIll!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top