What is the purpose of a religion?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago
"Religion is to do right. It is to love, it is to serve, it is to think, it is to be humble." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is what Mr. Emerson thinks, but what do you think?

What do you all think is the purpose of a religion?

Why do people believe in a (any kind of) religion?

Why do you (if you do) believe in religion?

Looking forward to reading your answers...

I agree with Mr. Emerson. Religion was introduced to bind men and women. It was introduced to give their life a direction, and give mankind hope. It was also supposed to discipline humans and make them do good things and be human.

Some people believe in religion because their parents told them to. Others try to find the deeper mwaning behind the scriptures/prayers and follow religion to stay in touch with your inner self. Others do it for peace of mind!

I am a hindu, but i hardly pray(in the strict sense, with flowers and diyas etc). But I do talk to God. That's probably my way of staying sane.

^^^ Interesting answer up there, Preets, and I somewhat agree with you.

I think that the purpose of a religion is to basically provide comfort in an uncomfortable world. They explain things that are hard to explain otherwise.  It's a belief system.  What people tend to live on.  It provides structure and order in the world so there isn't complete chaos.  It also lets people know that there are mysteries beyond their knowledge but they are still important.  It provides ethical foundation for behviours and a general foundation of living standards and beliefs.

Different people have different reasons of following a religion.  Many people follow a religion to know the higher power and better and to communicate with Him better.

I think we all start as believing in religions but some of us move to a higher level of faith.  Religions give us means to attain certain faith.  But faith is a certain things we like to believe in and honor.

Posted: 16 years ago
I think that the purpose of a religion is to instruct people how they should live in this world..
It gives u an indication of what's good and what's bad/wrong/evil.
It also makes u realize that there is a God and everything what happens to us is planned by Him 😛

LOve,
GRacella
i do believe in religion
i've always felt that if god wanted, he culd have sent us into some other religion but he didnt..he chose this itself means he definately has something better 4 us in his mind
n more over..ur religion is more or less ur identity..n u shuldnt b denying it 😊
Religinon is man made and it is for the well being (discipline, peace, love education all ) of the society and ultimately for the persons consisting the society.