Paranormal

What is the purpose of a religion?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Naina_Manam

IF-Dazzler

Naina_Manam

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged
"Religion is to do right. It is to love, it is to serve, it is to think, it is to be humble." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is what Mr. Emerson thinks, but what do you think?

What do you all think is the purpose of a religion?

Why do people believe in a (any kind of) religion?

Why do you (if you do) believe in religion?

Looking forward to reading your answers...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is the purpose of a religion?" in Paranormal forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

datspreets

IF-Veteran Member

datspreets

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged
I agree with Mr. Emerson. Religion was introduced to bind men and women. It was introduced to give their life a direction, and give mankind hope. It was also supposed to discipline humans and make them do good things and be human.

Some people believe in religion because their parents told them to. Others try to find the deeper mwaning behind the scriptures/prayers and follow religion to stay in touch with your inner self. Others do it for peace of mind!

I am a hindu, but i hardly pray(in the strict sense, with flowers and diyas etc). But I do talk to God. That's probably my way of staying sane.

Naina_Manam

IF-Dazzler

Naina_Manam

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged
^^^ Interesting answer up there, Preets, and I somewhat agree with you.

I think that the purpose of a religion is to basically provide comfort in an uncomfortable world. They explain things that are hard to explain otherwise.  It's a belief system.  What people tend to live on.  It provides structure and order in the world so there isn't complete chaos.  It also lets people know that there are mysteries beyond their knowledge but they are still important.  It provides ethical foundation for behviours and a general foundation of living standards and beliefs.

Different people have different reasons of following a religion.  Many people follow a religion to know the higher power and better and to communicate with Him better.

I think we all start as believing in religions but some of us move to a higher level of faith.  Religions give us means to attain certain faith.  But faith is a certain things we like to believe in and honor.

Gracella

IF-Stunnerz

Gracella

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
I think that the purpose of a religion is to instruct people how they should live in this world..
It gives u an indication of what's good and what's bad/wrong/evil.
It also makes u realize that there is a God and everything what happens to us is planned by Him Tongue

LOve,
GRacella

amrit23

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

nitasuni

nitasuni

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 4:18am | IP Logged
Religinon is man made and it is for the well being (discipline, peace, love education all ) of the society and ultimately for the persons consisting the society.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top