Debate Mansion

ISIT FOOLISH to believe in SUPERSTITIONS?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

glamritz

Goldie

glamritz

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:06am | IP Logged
Hi Everybody!
This is my first post at debate mansion. My name's Ritu and actually i've always read the topics posted here. Never really poseted though. I must say u guys are all wonderful writers! Clap
Today, i complete one full year at India forums.. so on this exciting occasion, i thought of posting some thoughts abt superstitions.

What is considered superstition nowadays was possibly considered knowledge when it originally started. Many of the superstitions have weird beginnings.

For eg. walking under a ladder is considered unlucky. This idea dates back to the middle ages when a man who was sentenced to the gallows had to walk under the ladder as he was led up the platform and there, his life was to be ended. It certainly was unlucky for him to walk under that ladder. Other superstitions probably started in similar ways too.

So my question is should people believe in these superstitions today? Will it be foolish?

At times superstitions are allowed to grow to keep some kinda tradition or perhaps people are just too scared to take any kind of risk as science has not proven anything. Superstitions are in a way deep in the consciousness of every society and do not seem to be easily removed.

I personally believe that it's not foolish or wrong to believe in superstitions. But I cannot deny that superstitions can be often obstacles to progress. They may have served some kinda purpose in the past. This is the age of reason and I think nothing should be allowed to stand in the way of progress. Honestly, I feel any society which holds on to its superstitions will be left out.

what do you guys think?

~Ritu~

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "ISIT FOOLISH to believe in SUPERSTITIONS?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by glamourous

So my question is should people believe in these superstitions today? Will it be foolish?

~Ritu~

It will be not only foolish but harmful if it goes against the development of the society, in such cases the practice of that superstition should be abolished.

However, coming to personal choices if it does not harm others then I don't have any problem in who believes in what. Sometimes people choose to follow a certain superstition when they think they (or someone near) have failed or succeeded for not following or following that superstition respectively. It may sound stupid but then human brain does not always follow logic.

Edited by souro - 08 February 2007 at 6:33am

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 6:43am | IP Logged
Ritu,
Welcome to Debate Mansion Smile Topic is really nice, however, we have disucussed this before. As this is your first topic I would not close it, but before posting new topic please do search if the topic has been posted before to avoid duplicates. You can then bring the old topic to first page by posting your views. If similar old topic is locked, please PM me and I can open it up for you. Please find below three links to similar topics discussed before-

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=199611

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=407274

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=332123

Post Reply New Post

Go to top