Posted: 17 years ago

Maldives finds new ways to lure Bollywood!

I'm sure all you people remember the box office potboiler "Maine Pyaar Kyu Kiya" that had the vivacious Sushmita Sen and Sensuous Katrina Kaif setting the screen ablaze with their hour glass figures… and do you remember the first song of that flick 'I wanna spend the rest of my life with you'??? It was not just Katrina which caught our attention with moves, but also the scenic beauty behind her…

The paradise that the song was shot in was the place many have reckoned as heaven on earth – Maldives! And since then, there's been no looking back for the country of islands… with several tourists and films reaching the place in huge numbers, the Maldivian Govt. plans to open its own studio island!

With over a hundred resorts to attract tourists already, the Minister of State for arts, Hussain Shihab has announced the allocation of one island solely to cater to the needs of the film industry, thus giving them multiplied facilities… and to them, multiplied profits

Salman Khan: But I am just an actor!

Seventeen years in the industry and the Salman Khan enigma endures...
It's my fate. I would not credit it to hard work as I believe people in different fields work 10 times harder than me. I'm just a regular guy who goes to work, and somewhere destiny plays a big role. The fact that I was born to my parents, and that my father was a scriptwriter, and his father was a DIG, who came from Indore to become an actor – is all a matter of fate. I'm one of the first stars to belong to a father who is a star – not as an actor, but as a writer. All this is sheer luck and destiny.

You call yourself a regular guy. A rather modest superstar, might we say?   
But I'm just an actor. I'm not a scientist. I haven't reached the moon; I don't work for the NASA. How difficult is acting, after all? Whatever our emotions in real life – laughing, crying, loving – we just emote the same in front of the camera. It's not rocket science!

Did anyone 'dare' train Salman Khan?   
No one trained me as such. Well, I did attend Daisy Irani's acting school for a month. There were three of us – Chunky Pandey, Sajid Khan and me. And after that she shut down the school! She was so fed up with us. On the first day, we were given a twopage long speech from Pyaasa, and till the time we left, we couldn't get it right. She even showed us the film about 10 times, but it was all in vain. She told us, "Tum logon ka kya hoga, meri acting school bandh karwah doge." Considering that, maa'sha Allah, finally we all did pretty well for ourselves.
And were you always sure you had 'it'?   
It still comes as a surprise to me that I made it as an actor. As children, we would do these video films, and I'd be the worst. Johnny (Walker) chacha's sons – Nazim, Kazim– my brother Arbaaz and I would shoot videos. Nazim was usually behind the camera, while the rest of us would enact scenes from movies. Believe it or not – I was pathetic! Johnny chacha would laugh and say, "Isko actor banna hai?" Today, when I see those videos, I get embarrassed. And when I hear people saying to newcomers, "What is this guy doing here, he'll never make it", I recall those videos and think if I could make it, he can make it too.

What is it about you that makes the industry and junta swear by you? Preity can't stop raving about you and Rani calls you the 'ultimate rockstar'...
Well, you should have them say that on candid camera. Stars are here to promote a film and they'll obviously say pleasant things about their co-stars. When have you ever heard an actor say, 'I hate my co-star. He's an idiot'? I'm fond of Preity and Rani too; the feeling is mutual. Though I think that 'ultimate rockstar' bit is thoda zyada!

Still, you looked much at ease, playing a 'rockstar' in Ja a n - e - Mann...
No, not a rockstar. I was a 'Sooperstaar r r'. Look, in real life I don't get to play a superstar, so I enjoy doing that on screen. In fact, I am a Bhojpuri superstar now (in the film, remember). Ha ha ha!

Friends and family insist that you're tough only on the exterior and a softie at heart. Is that true?
I am very easily 'connable' – I know that doesn't say much of me, but it doesn't say much about the people who con me either. Sometimes it's sad to see that the people you help try to con you, and I've been conned once too many times. These things hurt me the most.

So tough guys do cry?   
Of course, they do. I think my dad is the toughest guy on this planet, and I have seen him cry. By the time dad was 15, he'd lost his parents. Whatever memories he has of them are between the ages of five and 15. Yet, when he talks about them today, I see tears in his eyes. It has nothing to do with how strong you are. One man's floor is another man's ceiling. You could be the toughest guy at one level, yet you could have your weaknesses at the same time. If a man is tough at all times, then he's ruthless and heartless. A man should have that one thing that moves him and makes him human.

On a different note, when will India's most 'romantic' hero take his wedding vows?   
Aamir? He's already married. Ha, ha, ha! I thought I was an action hero. Am I a romantic hero too? I guess so... Well, there's a time for everything, even marriage. I might get married now, later, much much later... Maybe never! Whenever the message comes from 'up above', I'll take the plunge.

http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1634341,curpg- 1.cms

Sallu's wedding gift to Abhi

The buzz goes that Sallu has decided to gift a sherwani to Abhishek Bachchan as wedding present. Sallu is keen to be friends with AB Juniour despite his betrothal to former sweetheart Aishwarya Rai.

Sallu has been invited to the big, fat Bollywood reception by the Bchchan family so.

He may have thought of giving something special to the actor eager to take the vows with Ash. Amitabh Bachchan personally called up Salim Khan to invite the entire family for the wedding reception.

"Bhai thought of gifting something special to Abhishek and allegedly, asked a close designer friend to make a sherwani for him. He is going to spend a lot of money on the sherwani," says our source.

The sherwani will be ornate, and will have zardosi work. However, those who think that Abhishek might wear it for his shaadi need to hold their horses.

A separate wedding outfit, commissioned by Jaya Bachchan, is being designed by Kolkata based designer Sharbari Dutta. "I am making a kurta for Abhishek's wedding, but I can't talk about it," says Dutta from Kolkata.

Salman foils Ash-Abhishek's plan!

It is learnt that as part of his act, Bachchan Jr had planned that he would step down from the stage to Ash, who was seated in the front row, and lead her onto the stage for a shimmy at last weekend's Zee Cine Awards in Malaysia.

But to their horror, Katrina and her dancers (who performed before AbhiAsh) leapt into the audience mid-way through their frenzied gyrations and dragged a suitably surprised looking Salman to the stage for some synchronised dancing.

Both couples had different choreographers for their performances. Ganesh Hedge directed AbhiAsh's segment, while Bosco-Ceasar choreographed the KhanKat's act.

When asked about KhanKat's act, choreographer Bosco Martis says, "That part of the act was Salman's own doing. It was impromptu and we did not know anything about it."

Meanwhile, Ganesh Hegde (who choreographed AbhiAsh's act) says that here too it was Abhishek's idea to go into the audience and dance.

"During rehearsals, Abhishek decided that he would go into the audience.

Abhishek had mentioned that he wanted to make Yash (Chopra) uncle dance, but I did not know exactly who he wanted to drag back on stage.

It was decided that he would do his act in the audience itself, but eventually he dragged Ash up on stage," says Hegde.

Whether Sallu did this to SS that Abhishek is none too pleased with the star's child-like behaviour.

A source adds, "Abhishek had an inkling of what Sallu was planning and even requested Pradeep Guha (CEO, Zee Telefilms) to move his performance as the show's opening act, but by then, it was too late to reschedule."

We spoke to Bunty Walia, who managed Abhishek's act, who said, "It was an impromptu act by Abhishek. Aishwarya was taken unawares and it is clear from her reaction."

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?catname=mirch%20masala

Salman's Hollywood project, Marigold, to see the light of the day

Salman Khan's first international project 'Marigold' is finally gearing up for release. The film which pits the Bollywood superstar opposite Hollywood beauty Ali Larter was shot in India in early 2005. It'slikely to have a grand premiere both in India and the US.

"The film is releasing in India in May. Some portions of the film were shown in FICCI Frame and it has got a good response," informs Anuradha Singh, the editor of the film.

So how has the film shaped up? "I can't say much as the editor is always a back seater. But from what I have seen after the final cut, I can say it's a beautiful romantic film, very well shot.

It presents the colours of India on the international arena," says Singh who has also worked in 'Blood Monkey' and 'The Forest' also happens to be the first Indian female editor from India to work in Hollywood.

'Marigold' also stars Nandana Sen in a supporting role.

Now that the film is no longer held up, more than anyone else it's great news for Salman. If Ash can go west, why can't he! - (SAMPURN)

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14189
'Salman Khan didn't recommend Katrina'
   By: Tushar Joshi
   April 10, 2007

Subhash Ghai defends his decision to cast KhanKat in his directorial comeback Main Yuvraj

Subhash Ghai
First it was Shahid and Kareena Kapoor in 36 China Town, and now it will be Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif in Main Yuvraj.

Does Subhash Ghai have a thing for working with celebrity couples?

The Showman defends his decision to cast Katrina and his reunion with A R Rahman for the film.

Why did you choose Katrina for the film?

I have several actor friends in the industry, but I don't work with them on somebody's recommendation.

I found Katrina apt for the role; her face and personality go with the character. Also, I think she's beautiful and immensely talented.

I Ain't Guilty This Time: Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif
Did Salman play a part in getting her in the project?

No, Salman did not recommend Katrina. He's too professional to do that. As I said, the script demanded Katrina so I chose her.

She has the look that the NRI character requires. It's ridiculous when people say things like, 'Salman must have got her that role.'

What is Katrina's look in the film?

It's going to be very different from how you've seen her up till now. When people saw Taal and complimented Aishwarya Rai on her looks, I think the same thing will happen for Katrina.

She has an angelic face and has a willingness to learn and grow. I share an extremely comfortable rapport with her.

Tell us about Main Yuvraj.

At the moment, I can't reveal much. The film stars Anil Kapoor, Salman, Katrina and Zayed Khan, and the music is being given by A R Rahman.

I am thrilled to be working with him again. Main Yuvraj is going to be an out and out musical.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/april/155116.htm

SRK's girl says no to Salman

Model-turned-actress Deepika Padukone, has politely declined playing Salman Khan's love interest in Boney Kapoor's next film (a remake of the Telegu hit Pokhiri).

She presently plays the female lead opposite Shah Rukh Khan in Om Shanti Om, Apparently Deepika backed out at the eleventh hour in a very unprofessional manner.

Sources report Boney kept waiting for her at a suburban preview theatre for the screening of the original film, so that she could get a feel of her role. But then, her business manager called him 15 minutes before the show and said she was not interested in doing the film.

"A screening was supposed to happen but it didn't, as Deepika informed me in advance that she couldn't do it. I wanted this film to be her next after Om Shanti Om and I had categorically told her that. But she told me it won't be possible as she was committed to other projects," says Boney.

Boney continues, "I have shortlisted two new faces and I will soon announce the name of the girl who will play the lead opposite Salman. Shooting starts in June."

Deepika had a different story to tell though, "I only met Mr Kapoor once, and all I was told is that the film is a remake of a South film, Salman will be the hero and that he would produce it. Beyond that, no details were discussed. I was told that they would get back to me about the screening."

Deepika avers that she has been a model for quite some time and is known to be extremely professional.

"The screening was supposed to happen provided both parties agreed on a time and date. Later, they themselves told me that there was no point in arranging a screening if I wasn't doing the film. Mr Kapoor's secretary Shyam coordinated the entire thing. If there was a miscommunication from his end, I don't know."

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14264

Salman Khan meets mentally and physically challegned children Jaipur, April 13. (PTI): The joy of mentally and physically challenged children at a school here knew no bounds when Bollywood actor Salman Khan came calling and spent the day with them. "They are my greatest fans," Khan said after meeting the children of the Umaang school who sang popular numbers from his films and presented him with hand made greeting cards. The Bollywood actor also donated two television sets and some DVDs of his films to the school, which he has visited a few times before. "I have interacted with some students and they said that they have just watched my movie 'Saajan'. Thus, I have brought two television sets and more DVDs of my films so that they can watch more of my movies," he said. "I have seen that there are eight rooms in your school so every room needs a television and a DVD player," he said. Khan also danced to some popular songs from his films with the children. Speculations about the actor's marriage with Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif also figured in the interaction when some children surprised Khan by requesting him to call them for his wedding.

Former Rajasthan Tourism Minister and chairperson of the school Bina Kak also accompanied Khan.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200704131810.htm

Is Salman simply using Katrina Kaif?

It's nothing new. When Katrina Kaif was just his drop-dead beautiful squeeze, they said Salman Khan was squeezing her into ramp shows and also helped to get her some roles in good Hindi movies. That time, he perhaps had another agenda too, just to spite Aishwarya Rai.

So, her stunning looks did matter. And her English accent (actually, she couldn't speak Hindi at all) did NOT matter! So, Kats was also squeezed in between two brothers (Salman and Sohail) in Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya. It was Just chill, chill, chill!

All of a sudden, however, Kats struck up a sizzling chemistry with Akshay Kumar in Humko Deewana Kar Gaye. Though the film flopped, the pair was identified as hot. And now their second starrer, Namastey London, has gone on to become a runaway hit, and she has dubbed her own voice as well!

So much so that the media has already started planting stories that Salman is getting upset with Akshay -- and Akshay has gone to say that Sallu respects him and their onscreen chemistry, and that is why the Akshay-Katrina pair has another three films coming!

So, it is difficult to understand the whirling rumours again that Salman is using his not inconsiderable clout in the film industry to promote Katrina, much to the discomfiture of his friends and even Katrina herself.

When work on the magnum opus, Bajirao Mastani, got stalled the industry assumed Aishwarya had declined the film because ex-lover Salman figured in the cast and she would have nothing to do with him in the same film.

It later turned out Aishwarya wasn't the problem. It was Salman! He had wanted Sanjay Leela Bhansali to replace Aishwarya with Kareena! Salman's priorities have since changed and his focus is now on sweetheart Katrina. Determined to have her counted amidst the top three leading ladies of Bollywood he is now asking Bhansali to give Aishwarya's role to Katrina!

Bhansali has chosen to bat defensively for the moment and has deferred shooting the venture indefinitely. The Bollywood business is abuzz now with pointers to Salman's relentless recommendations for Katrina for all films -- including the earlier hit, Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya, directed by David Dhawan.

One of the clauses that Salman puts up while signing a film is that Katrina has also to be signed, and many directors are willing to play along. Incredibly enough, he is known to have even asked other actresses to opt out of a film so that Katrina could replace them!

He should not forget the example of his debutante heroine in Maine Pyar Kiya (interesting coincidence in the title!), Bhagyashree, who soon after the super-duper hit got married to Himalay, and made it a condition that she would only act with him as costar. We know what happened to both of them eventually.

In Rajkumar Santoshi's London Dreams, where Salman was paired with Priyanka Chopra, his requesting Priyanka to opt out -- by giving false reasons of unavailability of dates -- to make room for his beloved Kat is out in the open now.

Katrina, on her part rubbishes rumours that Salman is helping her career in any way. After the recent success of Namastey London, she is happy and busy shooting for many films, she says.

When Subhash Ghai cast her with Salman in his just announced film, Main Yuvraj, she was categorical that her success was derived from her own hard work.

"I am delighted to be in a Subhash Ghai film," she told the media, "Ghaiji has created great heroines. But the news that Salman has got me roles is ridiculous," she added. "Ghaiji offered me Kisna earlier, but it didn't work out. He saw me in Namastey London and confirmed my role in Main Yuvraj.

Do you think directors like Ghaiji would listen to Salman while casting for their films? I am where I am on merit. I work hard to fit into the roles I play and my hard work on acting and speech has got me my success. Also, Bollywood needs fresh faces and I happen to be that face." - (SAMPURN)

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?catname=mirch%20masala
The art of friendship

Thanks to friend Sallu, Saif Ali Khan has taken up painting. In fact, he has already completed a painting

Trust Salman Khan to add colour to his friends' lives. The magnanimous actor has come up with a novel way of helping friend Saif Ali Khan to use his time while recuperating at home. Thanks to Sallu, Saif has taken up painting.

What's more, Sallu has apparently been supervising Saif's work and Saif, under the former's tutelage has already completed a painting. A source close to the Khans says, "Salman has encouraged Saif to paint. In fact, Saif has completed a painting recently."

Painting is Salman's newfound passion and he seems to be advocating it strongly amongst his friends from Bollywood. And just to get the filmi janta started, the actor has been gifting them with painting kits, complete with brushes and colours. "Salman has been gifting canvases bought specially from the UK to his near and dear ones. He feels that canvases purchased from UK are of a superior quality and are just right for beginners," our source says. 

"Salman is seen devoting as much time to his new-found skill and passion as he can. He is pursuing it rather seriously," says a source.

Saif, our source says, is so happy with the way that the painting has turned out that he has already made up his mind to gift it to someone. Who? We're still wondering.

http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mmpaper.aspx?page=article &sectid=30&contentid=20070417024535281774fb944