Debate Mansion

New TV soaps put creativity on backburner (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 5

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 5
Page 5 Page 5

blyton

IF-Rockerz

blyton

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged
This is an extremely intelligent and well-written article. Clap I'm glad the writer had the audacity to actually NAME these regressive serials instead of euphemistically clubbing them as "saas-bahu sagas". Wink

I got nostalgic for the golden days of DD serials. I was too young to understand most of them so I rarely got hooked. Now I realise what I missed.

When satellite TV arrived in India, we thought there would be a whole new world at our fingertips. For some time that really was the case. WE had pathbreaking, bold serials like Tara, BAB and Hasratein. The problem was that after some time, these serials started coming across as too elitist and working-class. The housewives and small-towners could not identify with them. Kekta stepped into this void with her soaps that followed a clever startegy: they flaunted traditional values on the surface, allowing their viewers a kind of self-congratulatory satisfaction; at the same time, they put in all the sleaze and melodrama that had so far been associated with Hindi movies, making people feel that they had got their money's worth by installing a cable connection! Confused LOL

We, as viewers, are definitely at fault. Even when we KNOW a show is pathetic, we keep on watching it simply because we are addicted and have nothing else to watch. Ouch

Another thing that irks me is this system of TRPs. Till date i have never really understood how it works. CAn someone enlighten me, please? I find that the most respected shows like Astitva and JJKN don't find a place on the charts whereas all the Kekta dramas and their clones ride the wave week after week.

Basically, there needs to be a time limit to these shows. I can't recall a single soap that retained its freshness and originality beyond 1-2 years. Then again, the pressure to churn out daily dramas puts a sharp strain on the scriptwriters. Why can't we have weeklies like we used to? Are we so addicted to fiction, no matter how perverted? Ouch

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "New TV soaps put creativity on backburner (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SuhanaSafar

IF-Rockerz

SuhanaSafar

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged
Great article and SOOO true! Precisely why my favorite TV show is CID Big smile

tina59

IF-Rockerz

tina59

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by blyton

This is an extremely intelligent and well-written article. Clap I'm glad the writer had the audacity to actually NAME these regressive serials instead of euphemistically clubbing them as "saas-bahu sagas". Wink

I got nostalgic for the golden days of DD serials. I was too young to understand most of them so I rarely got hooked. Now I realise what I missed.

When satellite TV arrived in India, we thought there would be a whole new world at our fingertips. For some time that really was the case. WE had pathbreaking, bold serials like Tara, BAB and Hasratein. The problem was that after some time, these serials started coming across as too elitist and working-class. The housewives and small-towners could not identify with them. Kekta stepped into this void with her soaps that followed a clever startegy: they flaunted traditional values on the surface, allowing their viewers a kind of self-congratulatory satisfaction; at the same time, they put in all the sleaze and melodrama that had so far been associated with Hindi movies, making people feel that they had got their money's worth by installing a cable connection! Confused LOL

We, as viewers, are definitely at fault. Even when we KNOW a show is pathetic, we keep on watching it simply because we are addicted and have nothing else to watch. Ouch

Another thing that irks me is this system of TRPs. Till date i have never really understood how it works. CAn someone enlighten me, please? I find that the most respected shows like Astitva and JJKN don't find a place on the charts whereas all the Kekta dramas and their clones ride the wave week after week.

Basically, there needs to be a time limit to these shows. I can't recall a single soap that retained its freshness and originality beyond 1-2 years. Then again, the pressure to churn out daily dramas puts a sharp strain on the scriptwriters. Why can't we have weeklies like we used to? Are we so addicted to fiction, no matter how perverted? Ouch

well said Blyton , I totally agree with you . Gone are the days when we had good realitic yet entertaining serials like circus, fauji, nukkad, hum log , karamchand, malgudii days , gul gulshan gulfam , buniyaad etc. These had god storylines which was realistic yet so entertaining and that we never feel bored .

Nowadays we are just dished crap and we watch it why coz some like the jodi and some like the regressive and ridiculous twists . I respect Ektaa Kapoor as a businesswoman who has achieved so much at a young age but her serials are the worst .She makes it a point to start the serial with a twist and a bang so that the viewers get hooked , later she dishes out the most ridiculous illogical plots but by that time , the viewers are addicted and cant switch the tv off . Its the sad truth and bcoz of this many other producers and the channel follow the same path and are scared to try something realistic and  a good soap .

the lead heroes and heroines faces keep changing if and when the actor drops out , young guys play 60 year olds and yet have not a single hair of grey and we still watch it , grandmoms live for ever , come alive from the dead , plastic surgeries, illegitimate chilren on a mass scale, innumerable marriages , EMA and we still watch it , why bcoz our fav jodi has to get together in the end rigth ? . So no matter how many times the hero sleeps with women other than his wife , the woman still gets criticised for rejecting him and finally she will accept him no matter what . Is this what we should encourage and watch again and again in every  generation leaps .

we can put an end to all this by encouraging good stories and give them good trps , stop watching the crap being shown, they will automatically would be taken off air , start some godd reality shows , have seasonal shows , more weekly shows, I am sure more people like Ravi rai , tony and deeya and others would rise up again and give us some really good entertaining shows.

The worst part is that we continue to watch such soaps and say that we will watch it coz its entertaining but thats ridiculous , if these plots and stories  is what we find entertaining .

start some good soaps with good story lines and realistic drama like udaan and rajini , I am sure there would be takers and stop watching the other crap so that their trp's fall and new shows crop up with the encouragement shown.

just forget abt ur fav jodi's and waiting for them to get together no matter what and instead give encouragement to good story and plots .

jyoti06

Channel Moderator

jyoti06

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged
A very well written article Clap Clap
today basically the problem lies in a common man's perspective to view certain things.most of the daily soap viewers r women,who would definitely like to see women protagonist dominating the male bandwagon unlike in films.
now there's a very thin line drawn between boldness and regressiveness,if a saas-bahu saga comes under the regressive category then a serial with a extra marital theme should come under bold categary,but what if a saas-bahu saaga along with extra-marital theme is shown in one serial(which is the case with almost all serials today);see my point is t.v serial is a fictional world which we enjoy after a day's hard work,so its unfair to judge them critically(because we will judge them but at the same time watch them also,aren't we human beings weirdLOL),so just enjoy it and forget it.

now its true that many good thought provoking serials r not getting the kind of acknowledgement they deserve as compared to some cleeshade never-ending sagas,the reason is mainly the amount of publicity a particular production house can afford for a serial;the biggest example is the serial ASTITVA which was one of the best serials in today's times but it was hardly present in the trp chart,the reason is because that serial used to share the same time slot with that balaji serial KKUSUM Angry which was publicized on a higher level and had the greater reach.

even today when u go to a common man's house and ask their fav tv character,most of them will hv the same answer tulsi or parvati Confused ,now just look at the publicity stunt(created through hoardings)done by balaji telefilms to promote parvati's makeover or tulsi's mercy killing,a common man will obviously feel the itch to watch those serials at least once,just to find out what the hulaaboo is all about and thats how the trps go up and now obviously the other production houses r following suit so what if they hv to compromise on the script level,trps should go up,thats what the mindset of these production houses hv become which is quite sad Confused

now we can't blame the production houses also,because even the channels hv become money-minded,their thinking process goes like this that if a particular serial gets high trps(story gaya tel lene),then we will get good sponsors,so we will continue the serial by taking another 20 year leap Ouch but if a good serial like justujoo(a serial by ajai sinha on zee)is not getting a good trp we will chuck it out Confused .

so the overall conclusion is money and creativity cannot go hand in hand,and out of the two obviously money will win,because its the trps which matters for the channel at last.so the only way out is if we as audience start watching some quality soaps and help the other production houses to show their talent Smile    

Edited by jyoti06 - 04 February 2007 at 1:25pm

riz k

riz k

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged
although this article is very true, its kinda harsh. I really like sum asian soaps -i think the fact they are so unreal makes them in a way even more interesting 2 watch. Its nice 2 get away from reality n watch a 'cinderalla' story lol. At the end of the day, eventhough they are repetive storylines, as the audience we just accept it and carry on watching it. Its a love hate thing LOL -u may hate wats happenin but just cant stay away lol.

Edited by riz k - 04 February 2007 at 3:24pm

Vandu4ever

IF-Stunnerz

Vandu4ever

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged

I used to watch A to Z all shows before 3-4 months but after Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai ended, I stopped watching all shows regularlyCry now my fav show is Maayka & I'm watching it without missing any single episodeEmbarrassed

Aahat was my favorite show. It had great horror stories 5-6 yrs ago.. now they r showing same stories (just lil bit change)..

We cant even compare CID to old episodesCry

Kkusum was best show on sony but Ekta stretched story so long and it became boring show 4everOuch

now in Ekta's show, she gives same stories in all show.. rona-dhona, 4-5 marriages of girl, ruining female lead character, accidents, plastic surgery, duplicate characters..etc...

all shows r nothing but very gud time pass for all especially for house-wivesLOLTongue

Vijey Umang

Vijey Umang

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged

Thanks a lot for expressing my thoughts. I just did not have the words but wanted to say exactly what you did.

A Level up : Do you think any way to get rid of such soaps from all the channels !? Such Idea is really needed.

mehak_kapoor

IF-Sizzlerz

mehak_kapoor

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged
i agree to some extent but i do like some saas bahu stuff Embarrassed

Post Reply New Post

Go to top