India-Forums

Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion
Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

Preview for 1st DEC. (Page 5)

allegra Senior Member
allegra
allegra

Posted: 02 December 2004 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Why the double standard. That in itself is a really bad message. It basically tells everyone that men can do whatever they want but women have to be saints (all this according to their defination of what a saint is).

Agree with the rest of your post and with the fact that there are a lot of double standards, but not necessarily with the reasoning above. When Armaan is "doing whatever he pleases" with Malika, he is doing it with a "woman." Yet criticism of Malika has been her treatment of Jassi, not her physical relationship with Armaan. Maria was shown going out with guys, even having a relationship with Raj, and she is still considered among the good guys in the show. It is not that ALL WOMEN are expected to be pristine, whereas ALL MEN have carte blanche with regard to sleeping around. For instance imagine if Purab were shown as two-timing and having one night stands!!

I think that the double standard is that those who are portrayed as "good" - whether men or women - have to be saintly, they always are shown to sacrifice themselves and repress their own personal needs and desires for the sake of other's well being and happiness. If such people ever do something that they want for themselves, it is not as noticed as if they give that up for someone else; in fact they may even get criticised for being selfish if they don't. So what does that mean? That happiness is good, just not their own? It must always be someone else's, and always it must be at the expense of their own. The more they suffer, the more "good" they are.
Why can't we be good to ourselves and still be good? Why the either or?

ides IF-Dazzler
ides
ides

Posted: 02 December 2004 at 10:22pm | IP Logged
well said FresgAir and Alle.....

The way I see it is that the charm of Jassi's character is that in spite of being amidst people who we might call "amoral", she has kept her values intact…..she can be a CEO without being ruthless, conniving and insensitive. Being in the glamour industry did not mean that Jassi changed herself into a Pari clone to fit in.

A modern woman (in the true sense) is one who holds herself to certain standards and lives up to them…..independant to what others around her are doing......which I believe Jassi is…..to her it doesn't matter what others are doing because she has different principles to uphold….and I find a certain quiet dignity in that……

I always find double standard ironic.....the funny thing abt double standards is that by maintaining different expectations of both, we are in fact lowering the expectation bar for Armaan and raising it for Jassi……this generally means that we see Jassi's potential as being much more than that of Armaan……to me that is a distinction for Jassi, not a handicap……

Go to top