umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago

Pollard makes debut as Lara puts South Africa in

The Bulletin by Anand Vasu

April 10, 2007

Toss West Indies chose to field v South Africa
Live scorecard and ball-by-ball commentary

Brian Lara has had a fair bit to worry about all tournament but this crunch game against South Africa could be the one that turns the tide AFP

Brian Lara won the toss and chose to field in the crucial match between South Africa and West Indies at the National Cricket Stadium in St George's, Grenada. On a day where the forecast was for partial cloud cover, in conditions fairly typical of what we have seen all tournament, the stage was set for a clash that will have a serious impact on the semi-final line-up in this World Cup.

West Indies made plenty of changes to their team. They brought in Corey Collymore for Jerome Taylor, Kieron Pollard in for Dwayne Smith while Devon Smith, the local boy, gets a game. It's a huge day for Devon Smith, but even bigger for Pollard, who is making his ODI debut in this big match. South Africa, for their part, brought Andrew Hall into the team in place of Charl Langeveldt, and the big hitting Loots Bosman replaced Justin Kemp.

The pitch at this stadium has not been used in the World Cup so far. There's some grass on the pitch but it's dry, dead and rolled well into the surface. Michael Holding believed that the dark nature of the pitch suggested that there was some moisture under the surface. With uncertainty surrounding how the pitch would play, both teams will be cautious in their approach, unsure of exactly how to plan their innings.

South Africa are no longer the No.1 team in the world, having been beaten rather soundly by Bangladesh. They now face a team that has a history of dumping them in big games and tournaments. Though West Indies have struggled to get any sort of momentum going in this tournament, what was meant to be their extravaganza, it's not beyond them to lift their game against a team like South Africa.

Lara has repeatedly spoken of how his team has it in them to stun the best, and that the unpredictable tag sat lightly on their shoulders. With results not quite going their way, it's reached a stage where every game is a must-win. Some players wilt under this sort of pressure, but Lara has famously come up with some of his best knocks in just these circumstances. West Indies need just that. Equally important to West Indies' prospects is Chris Gayle, who is due for a score. When Gayle fires at the top West Indies, more often than not, put a healthy total on the board.

Teams
South Africa 1 AB de Villiers, 2 Graeme Smith (capt), 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 Herschelle Gibbs, 5 Ashwell Prince, 6 Loots Bosman, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Andrew Hall, 9 Shaun Pollock, 10 Andre Nel, 11 Makhaya Ntini.

West Indies 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4, Brian Lara (capt), 5 Devon Smith, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Kieron Pollard, 8 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 9 Ian Bradshaw, 10 Daren Powell, 11 Corey Collymore.

Anand Vasu is associate editor of Cricinfo

umi82990 thumbnail

Cricket-India's Shastri wants fresh blood in national team

Mon Apr 9, 2007 11:33AM BST
< id=CurrentSize = value=13 name=CurrentSize>
| | RSS Feed
[] []

MUMBAI, India, April 9 (Reuters) - India's newly appointed cricket manager Ravi Shastri is backing the infusion of fresh blood into the team following last month's early World Cup exit in the Caribbean.

On Saturday, the 44-year-old Shastri was handed the task of guiding the team for next month's tour of Bangladesh after Australian Greg Chappell resigned as coach in the wake of the World Cup debacle.

"You need to look at youth in whatever walk of life at some stage. There is a shelf-period for everything," Shastri told CNN-IBN news television channel on Monday.

India, touted favourites back home, were knocked out of the World Cup in the group phase after defeats to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, prompting several former players and fans to call for large-scale changes to the team.

The powerful working committee of the board advised the selection committee to send a young team to Bangladesh under an experienced captain on Saturday, and on the same afternoon, Rahul Dravid was retained as skipper for the next three tours.

"If you have got to experiment and try and do something, do it against Bangladesh," said Shastri, who played 80 tests and 150 one-day internationals between 1981 and 1992.

The former captain, currently a commentator with a leading sports broadcaster, was given the role on an interim basis.

Starting on May 10, the tour consists of three one-day internationals and two tests.

Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. | Learn more about Reuters

umi82990 thumbnail

Younis Khan Reluctant To Step Up As Skipper Of Pakistan Cricket Team Following Inzamam-ul-Haq's Resignation

Submitted by Rohit Bhandiye on Tue, 2007-04-10 05:25.

Pakistan vice-captain Younis Khan is reluctant to step up as skipper following the resignation of Inzamam-ul-Haq, a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) source said on Monday.

The PCB will meet on Tuesday to discuss Inzamam's successor following their shock first-round elimination from the World Cup and subsequent death of coach Bob Woolmer which is being treated as murder by Jamaican police.

Inzamam, who was appointed in 2003 and quit on March 18, has pushed for senior batsman Younis to take over his old job.

"Younis is not comfortable leading the team at this stage as he believes he doesn't have the required widespread support within the team," the source said.

"He is also reluctant as he doesn't see wide support in the cricket community for him to replace Inzamam."

Younis lost some face last year when he refused to lead the team in the ICC Champions Trophy in India in place of the banned Inzamam.

He was dubbed immature and volatile after he changed his mind at the eleventh hour following reported differences with then chairman, Shaharyar Khan, and some players.

Shaharyar was, however, replaced by Nasim Ashraf, a smooth-talking bureaucrat two days before the team's departure and he managed to convince Younis to captain the side.

Younis had a miserable time in the Champions Trophy winning just one game and faced the wrath of the media and public.

Rashid Latif, a former Pakistan captain, felt that Younis should refuse the captaincy.

"I don't think this is the right time for him to come in. Some people obviously doubt if he is mature and strong enough to lead the team after the World Cup," Latif said.

"It would be better for him to concentrate on his batting and come in as captain when he feels comfortable and there is full support for him."

Former World Cup-winning captain Imran Khan backed Younis to take the job.

"He must not refuse. If he didn't want to captain he should not have accepted to become vice-captain," he said.

If Younis does refuse the captaincy, senior batsman Mohammad Yousuf, who has captained before would be the logical choice to step in but sources said that young all-rounder Shoaib Malik is also under consideration.

Former Test paceman Aaqib Javed was tipped by media observers as likely to be named as coach, succeeding Woolmer.

Pakistan were trying to arrange a one-day series with Sri Lanka next month in Abu Dhabi.

umi82990 thumbnail
Aussie cricket star takes on Bollywood
Will it be a Bollywood hit?

Brett Lee
Australian international fast bowler Brett Lee has revealed his ambition to release an album in India by the year's end, Sound Generator can report.

The Cricket star, who played a big part in England's Ashes defeat over the winter, plans to release the set - which he began writing last year - to boost his career prospects in the Indian film industry, which he plans to become more involved in following his duet last year with Bollywood legend Asha Bhosle.

The track "You're The One For Me" was a runaway hit, reaching No. 3 on an Indian radio station chart, and Lee says he has further ambitions in India at a recent press conference in New Delhi.

"I have written three or four new tracks and my aim is to release an album over here by this year," Lee said Monday (April 9).

"I have been into music for the last eight to ten years. Music for me is a pretty important part of my life," he said. "Definitely my aim is to star in a Bollywood movie but it has to be in a right time but it definitely will happen."

"A lot of this is new ground, and I guess it will make for an interesting case study," his manager Neil Maxwell added. "The move into music and films hasn't just dropped into his lap; it's been in the making for the past six years The first song was just scratching the surface."

"The focus is to build a platform for Brett to perform at Bollywood level after his career."
umi82990 thumbnail
Justin Vaughan named chief executive of NZ Cricket
AFP

Tuesday, April 10, 2007  17:59 IST

WELLINGTON: Former Test player Justin Vaughan was named on Tuesday as the new chief executive of New Zealand Cricket.

Vaughan is a board member of New Zealand Cricket and chairman Sir John Anderson said he had all the attributes needed to lead the organisation.

He takes over in June from another former Test player Martin Snedden, who has been appointed as chief executive of the organisation staging the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

Vaughan played in six Tests and 18 one-day internationals between 1992 and 1997. He qualified as a doctor and currently heads a medical technology company.

"I have had a long association with cricket and hope to build on the hard work which has taken cricket in New Zealand from a largely amateur structure in the early 1990s to the professional sport that it is today," Vaughan said.

umi82990 thumbnail
Shastri wants a 'happy' Indian team
Published: Tuesday, 10 April, 2007, 08:12 AM Doha Time
NEW DELHI: India's new interim cricket manager Ravi Shastri said yesterday his major task was to ensure players recovered from the World Cup disaster and enjoyed their game again.
"I make no promises. What my endeavour is to see a happy Indian team playing cricket," Shastri told the CNN-IBN news channel from Singapore where he is working as a TV expert during the tournament.
"Watching India playing in the last three to four months just gave me the impression that they were doing a 9-5 desk job with huge weight and expectations on their shoulders.
"What I want to tell them is that this is sport and they should go out there and enjoy it. And if you lose in that fashion then I am ready to take it on the chin.
"So, no promises whatsoever. I just want India to play happy and good cricket. And you guys watching should enjoy it too." Shastri, a former Test star-turned-commentator, will serve as the team's manager for a tour of Bangladesh next month after Australian coach Greg Chappell declined to renew his contract.
India, World Cup champions in 1983 and finalists in 2003, were knocked out in the first round of the ongoing tournament in the Caribbean after losing to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Shastri, 44, said his role was confined to the Bangladesh tour to give India's cricket chiefs sufficient time to find Chappell's successor for matches in England and Ireland in July.
"I love challenges," said Shastri. "So, when I was asked whether you will put your hand up, I said yes. I never want to shy away from a challenge...and if I can help, nothing like it." Shastri said he agreed with Indian cricket officials that a young team should be picked for the Bangladesh tour with an experienced leader in Rahul Dravid in command.
"You have to look at youth in whatever you do, in whatever walk of life at some stage," he said. "There is a shelf period for everything and if you have got to experiment, then do it against Bangladesh.
"I am not saying that Bangladesh is weak. They have thrashed South Africa, they have laid India low in this World Cup, so you can never take them lightly.
"(But) there's going to be a lot of cricket to be played by India in the next 12 months, so if you want to give youngsters an opportunity then do it early.
"When you are playing a Test match, you would like to be playing with your strongest side. So, it's not that the seniors are out of it totally but I would like to see youngsters given opportunities and see what happens."
Shastri played down media speculation of a rift in the team between the senior and junior players.
"I have read about it," he said. "When I reach Bangladesh I would try my best to clear everything out if there is a problem. No big deal."
Asked if he was confident of the team's revival, Shastri said: "A good team doesn't become a bad team in two weeks and a bad team doesn't become an excellent one in two weeks. Be patient." Shastri, a right-hand batsman and left-arm spinner, retired in 1992 after playing 80 Test matches in which he scored 3,830 runs and claimed 151 wickets.
He also made 3,108 runs and took 129 wickets in 150 one-day internationals.(AFP)
umi82990 thumbnail

Indian Fans Want Bangladesh To Enter World Cup Semi-Finals

Submitted by Rohit Bhandiye on Tue, 2007-04-10 06:55.

Bangladesh's stunning progress in the World Cup has given cricket lovers in India reason to cheer again after their own team was knocked out in the first round.

The giant-killing feats of Habibur Bashar's men have revived interest in the tournament for millions of Indians, who now want both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to advance to the semi-finals.

That Bangladesh caused India's World Cup exit with a shock five-wicket win in the preliminary round mattered little as fans shared the joy of their unheralded neighbours.

"They deserve their success," said Delhi student Shoumik Bose.

"I had stopped watching the World Cup after India were defeated, but Bangladesh has forced me to switch on my TV again."

Another fan, Venayak Gupta, added: "With India and Pakistan both gone, my interest is only in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. It will be great if an Asian country wins the World Cup."

While Sri Lanka are well-placed to make the semi-finals with six points after three games, Bangladesh must defeat England, Ireland and the West Indies in their remaining matches to advance.

Few would have given ninth-ranked Bangladesh a chance before the World Cup began, but the momentum gained by the stunning win over South Africa on Saturday has left critics excited.

"They were brilliant against the world's top side like South Africa," said former Indian all-rounder Mohinder Amarnath, who coached Bangladesh for a brief period in the 1990s.

"This side is confident. They know they can win."

Even India's cricket administrators, who have rarely taken Bangladesh seriously, are now singing a different tune.

"Everyone is harping on how India poorly fared at the World Cup, but one must give credit to Bangladesh who played so well," said Indian cricket board treasurer N Srinivasan.

India, who helped Bangladesh gain Test status in 2000, is the only Test-playing nation that has not hosted their neighbours in the belief that a series against them will be a financial disaster.

"After years of being snubbed by big brother, the little 'un turned around and administered an embarrassing slap in the face," the British daily, The Guardian, wrote after India's defeat in the World Cup.

"The minnow talk can end here and now. Bangladesh cricket has arrived and, with 150 million passionate followers, is here to stay. What price an invitation to India now? And wouldn't it be priceless if the subcontinent's new tigers turned it down?"

India are due to play three one-day internationals and two Tests in Bangladesh next month, a tour that has assumed greater significance after the World Cup debacle.

India will go on the three-week tour with an interim cricket manager in Test star-turned-commentator Ravi Shastri following coach Greg Chappell's decision not to renew his two-year contract.

Rahul Dravid will continue as captain, but India's cricket chiefs have instructed selectors to pick a 'young team' in a bid to make a fresh start in world cricket.

umi82990 thumbnail
Indian cricket: Young blood need of the hour
TIMES NEWS NETWORK / Indranil Basu
Print

< id=fr1645 title=Advertisement name=fr1645 align=right marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ads.indiatimes.com/ads.dll/getad?slotid=1645" Border=0 width=240 scrolling=no height=400></>
NEW DELHI, April 9: The Indian cricket board is planning to ignore six top cricketers for the tour of Bangladesh. Sources indicated that Tendulkar and Ganguly could be rested for the tour while Harbhajan Singh, Virender Sehwag and Ajit Agarkar "are certain to be dropped".

As for Zaheer Khan, he might just get lucky enough and catch the flight. "The selection is still some way off. We are certain that young blood is the need of the hour.

If we are to groom a good team for the future, we have to begin that process now. Some of the seniors got enough opportunities to prove themselves. We know what happened later," another official said.

Fortunately for some of the seniors, there are still supporters within the board who believe that they can perform. They feel the performance-based payments system would spur them to come up with sterling shows.
Sallu_King thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
New Zealand v South Africa, Super Eights, Grenada

South Africa look to avoid net run-rate hassles

The Preview by Andrew Miller in Grenada

April 13, 2007

Graeme Smith is well aware that his side needs to focus on winning the next two games to cruise into the semi-finals AFP

New Zealand's defeat on Thursday was an exercise in damage limitation. Stephen Fleming saw the writing on the wall from the moment his seamers failed to break through Sri Lanka's top-order, and applied the brakes as effectively as he could. In doing so, he turned what - in any ordinary circumstances - could have been a high-octane but heavy thumping into a game that was spun out until the 46th over by some sly manipulation of the Powerplays. Net run-rate is the spectre at this World Cup, and it is an issue about which Fleming is acutely aware.

"You're dumb if you're not [aware]," Fleming said yesterday, as he braced himself for the possibility that New Zealand's impressive start to the Super Eights could peter out into a flaccid finish. South Africa await on Saturday, followed by the tournament trendsetters, Australia, six days later. In the event of a pair of defeats, they could well find themselves tied on points with both South Africa and England, and therefore indebted to Fleming's foresight.

To judge by Graeme Smith's take on the situation, however, South Africa - the former World No. 1 who last week succumbed to the lowly-but-upwardly-mobile Bangladeshis in Guyana - are none too fussed about the permutations that could lie ahead. You'd have thought, after their run of appalling misfortune in previous World Cups, that they would seek to have every base covered ahead of their crunch encounters with New Zealand and England. Not so. Their approach is more reminiscent of an Oudsthoorn ostrich.

"I guess in our minds there is a possibility that net run-rate could play a role," said Smith, who gave the impression of a man who was doing just that - guessing. "But foremost we know it's in our control - if we win our next two games we cruise into the semi-finals. That's pretty much our focus, and if we can take care of that, it won't come down to net run-rate for us.

"And if we win those next two games our net run-rate will be good," Smith added, ignoring the fact that Sri Lanka's victory on Thursday actually brought their figures down because it was not as comprehensive as previous wins. "Those are our focuses. If it comes down to net run-rate, we've taken control and dealt with it as well as we can."

Of course, that's not strictly true. South Africa are the only team in the top five with a negative net run-rate - even England, on +0.079, are doing better than them. Smith and his side missed a massive trick against West Indies on Tuesday when, having slapped a vast total of 356 for 4, they dallied at the death and allowed a broken team to limp to 289 for 9 in their full quota of 50 overs. Smith himself was particularly culpable, bowling five overs for 56 in the closing overs as Daren Powell spanked 48 not out - a score that was exactly double his previous career total of ODI runs.

Nevertheless, Smith's head-in-the-sand attitude to the net run-rate does at least mean his team has no peripheral distractions as they prepare for their next encounter of the tournament - although their focus is so intense there is a danger of looking straight through this match and all the way to the real make-or-break fixture; their clash with England in Barbados on Tuesday. "No matter whether we win tomorrow, we still have to beat England," said Smith. "We know what we need to do."

On the other hand, John Bracewell, New Zealand's coach, was more fixated on the game at hand. "Tomorrow is a game we want to win, must win, and need to win for a number of reasons," he said, as he sized up a loss to Sri Lanka on Thursday that brought an end to their unbeaten run of nine games. "It's recognised we had quite a helpful draw, but it's tough at the business end, which is good for us," he added. "You don't want to lose your rhythm, but you've got to be realistic. Most teams will have a defeat through this tournament so it's a wake-up call going into the tough part of the tournament."

"They've controlled things pretty well and they are a good, well-balanced team with a lot of options in their set-up," said Smith. "They've been put under pressure for the first time, and it's probably a good time for it to happen. They could easily bounce back tomorrow, because a tough game often shows you what level you need to perform at."

After Mark Gillespie's ineffectual return to the side against Sri Lanka, New Zealand look set to return to their second spinner, Jeetan Patel, particularly in light of South Africa's well-documented failings against slow bowlers. Smith, however, was unfazed. "We're well prepared," he said. "We're the only team to beat Sri Lanka and that was in Guyana. That defeat against Bangladesh has hopefully woken us up for the rest of the games to come.

"Most of our guys are in very good nick at the moment, so it's about going out there to perform," Smith added, as he brushed aside any lingering injury doubts surrounding his top-order trio of Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis and AB de Villiers. "We're not taking anything for granted." Well, maybe not on the field, at any rate. In the points-table calculations, however, South Africa could be cruising. Not - as Smith might hope - into the semi-finals, but for another 2003-style bruising.

New Zealand (probable) 1 Stephen Fleming (capt), 2 Peter Fulton, 3 Ross Taylor, 4 Craig McMillan, 5 Scott Styris, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Brendon McCullum (wk), 8 Daniel Vettori, 9 James Franklin, 10 Jeetan Patel, 11 Shane Bond.

South Africa (probable) 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 AB de Villiers, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 Herschelle Gibbs, 5 Ashwell Prince, 6 Loots Bosman, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Shaun Pollock, 9 Andrew Hall, 10 Andre Nel, 11 Makhaya Ntini

Sallu_King thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
New Zealand v South Africa, Super Eights, Grenada

An evenly-matched battle

Dileep V

April 13, 2007

Daniel Vettori's wickets have come at a hefty price against South Africa Getty Images

We're approaching the business end of the Super Eights as New Zealand and South Africa gear up for a crucial match at Grenada on Saturday. A victory for either side will virtually seal a spot in the semi-finals.

Even if New Zealand lose, they still have a good shot at qualifying for the semis because they already have eight points in the bag. However, a loss for South Africa will put them in a tricky situation and give their match against England immense importance.

South Africa hold the advantage in the overall head-to-head record, winning 27 and losing only 15 of the 46 one-day internationals against New Zealand. However, New Zealand have had the better of South Africa in recent times, winning five and losing four of their last 10 matches.

Their record against each other in World Cups is an even 2-2 but New Zealand beat South Africa the last time the two teams met during the 2006 Champions Trophy in Mumbai.

Jacques Kallis could prove to be the key for South Africa. He has scored 1270 runs against New Zealand at an average of nearly 46.

South African batsmen v New Zealand Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Justin Kemp 7 149 2 74.50 160 93
Jacques Kallis 36 1270 28 45.35 1773 72
Ashwell Prince 7 189 5 37.80 287 66
Graeme Smith 13 482 13 37.7 629 77
Herschelle Gibbs 26 863 25 34.52 1145 75

Stephen Fleming, with 1230 runs, is the only other player from either team to score more than 1000 runs in South Africa v New Zealand clashes. Apart from Fleming and, to an extent, Scott Styris the rest have struggled against South Africa.

New Zealand batsmen v South Africa Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Stephen Fleming 36 1230 35 35.14 1734 71
Scott Styris 15 411 13 31.61 512 80
Brendon McCullum 11 232 9 25.77 319 72
Craig McMillan 30 599 28 21.39 854 70
Jacob Oram 7 116 7 16.57 197 59

Predictably Shaun Pollock is No 1 in the wicket-taking stakes. He has taken 47 wickets in 39 matches at 25.63 apiece and an economy of 3.87. Makhaya Ntini has 35 wickets from 22 matches at 21.57 while Kallis's 34 wickets have cost him 28.20 each at 4.88 an over.

Though Daniel Vettori has taken the most wickets for New Zealand against South Africa, his 18 scalps have cost nearly 50 each while going for 4.51 runs per over. Jacob Oram's 13 wickets have come at a healthier 23.23 apiece. New Zealand could be better off playing two spinners in this match given South Africa's susceptibility against spin and Jeetan Patel's impressive performance of 3 for 11 against them in the 2006 Champions Trophy.

Both New Zealand and South Africa have had success while chasing large totals in recent times especially against Australia. Since January 2002, South Africa have scored at 7.15 an over against New Zealand during the slog overs.

South African batsmen v New Zealand during the slog overs Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Shaun Pollock 10 186 4 46.50 134 139
Justin Kemp 5 77 2 38.50 65 118
Mark Boucher 10 208 7 29.71 171 122
Herschelle Gibbs 3 49 3 16.33 28 175

Since January 2002 New Zealand have scored at 6.26 an over against South Africa during the final overs.

New Zealand batsmen v South Africa during the slog overs Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Craig McMillan 4 41 1 41.00 38 108
Brendon McCullum 4 64 3 21.33 60 107
Scott Styris 3 53 3 17.66 40 133

Pollock has been off colour against New Zealand in recent times. Though he has been economical, he hasn't taken many wickets against them. Since January 2002 Pollock has only 13 wickets at 42.38 in 18 matches and most of the wickets have been of lower order batsmen.

Pollock v New Zealand since Jan 2002 Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Stephen Fleming 17 134 1 134 217 62
Craig McMillan 7 47 1 47 52 90
Hamish Marshall 5 31 0 - 49 63
Brendon McCullum 5 21 0 - 49 43

Shane Bond also has an unimpressive record against South Africa whose top-order batsmen have dealt with him effectively.

Bond v South Africa since Jan 2002 Batsman Innings Runs Dismissals Average Balls Strike Rate
Graeme Smith 6 87 1 87 83 105
Jacques Kallis 8 42 1 42 61 69
Hershelle Gibbs 8 80 2 40 116 69
AB de Villiers 3 18 1 18 31 58