Book Talk

Book Club (Currently reading Kite Runner) (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 8

Page 1
Page   of 8
Page 3 Page 8

diyafah

IF-Rockerz

diyafah

Retro Podcast Team, I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 12:29am | IP Logged
khair,I am so in..I have heard of the book..but have'nt read it..
rite now,I am reading a sidney Sheldon's book-Nothing lasts forever..my fav book is The da vinci code..itz really a rocking book!I love it...itz an amazing book
I also wanna read the inheritance of loss by booker prize winner kiran desai! Embarrassed

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Book Club (Currently reading Kite Runner) (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged
am in too...neway I'd suggest Kite Runner coz am planning to read that book...neway we can always make a opole on that Smile

Jia

IF-Rockerz

Jia

-

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 1:03am | IP Logged
wow, so many ppl in....YAYYY!!

we can definitely go w/ kite runner, but few of you have read it. so chk out this link:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=415982  

and tell me if any books interest you (that is if you havent read them already) and we can start w/ those. if not, you can always give more suggestions. :)

Edited by sweet_kp - 27 January 2007 at 1:03am

datspreets

IF-Veteran Member

datspreets

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 2:15am | IP Logged
I'm interested too.

Can we read - Kiran Desai's Inheritance of loss?

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 5:04am | IP Logged
I've read the Kite Runner. Well written story which hooks you. But, it takes a mature reader. Some will not be able to handle the real life horrors depicted in the book.

I would like to read the Inheritance of Loss too, eventually.

Jia

IF-Rockerz

Jia

-

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged

This is what I found about Inheritance of Loss.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. This stunning second novel from Desai (Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard) is set in mid-1980s India, on the cusp of the Nepalese movement for an independent state. Jemubhai Popatlal, a retired Cambridge-educated judge, lives in Kalimpong, at the foot of the Himalayas, with his orphaned granddaughter, Sai, and his cook. The makeshift family's neighbors include a coterie of Anglophiles who might be savvy readers of V.S. Naipaul but who are, perhaps, less aware of how fragile their own social standing is—at least until a surge of unrest disturbs the region. Jemubhai, with his hunting rifles and English biscuits, becomes an obvious target. Besides threatening their very lives, the revolution also stymies the fledgling romance between 16-year-old Sai and her Nepalese tutor, Gyan. The cook's son, Biju, meanwhile, lives miserably as an illegal alien in New York. All of these characters struggle with their cultural identity and the forces of modernization while trying to maintain their emotional connection to one another. In this alternately comical and contemplative novel, Desai deftly shuttles between first and third worlds, illuminating the pain of exile, the ambiguities of post-colonialism and the blinding desire for a "better life," when one person's wealth means another's poverty.
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From The New Yorker
Desai's second novel is set in the nineteen-eighties in the northeast corner of India, where the borders of several Himalayan states—Bhutan and Sikkim, Nepal and Tibet—meet. At the head of the novel's teeming cast is Jemubhai Patel, a Cambridge-educated judge who has retired from serving a country he finds "too messy for justice." He lives in an isolated house with his cook, his orphaned seventeen-year-old granddaughter, and a red setter, whose company Jemubhai prefers to that of human beings. The tranquillity of his existence is contrasted with the life of the cook's son, working in grimy Manhattan restaurants, and with his granddaughter's affair with a Nepali tutor involved in an insurgency that irrevocably alters Jemubhai's life. Briskly paced and sumptuously written, the novel ponders questions of nationhood, modernity, and class, in ways both moving and revelatory.
Copyright 2006 The New Yorker

If you all want we can start w/ this one...what say? i think we should all read one book at a time...i thought thats how book clubs worked. if not tell me how they do work...i havent been a part of one bforeEmbarrassed

I also heard good reviews for a night at the call center (i think thats the title..) and i wanted to read the namesake whose movie has just come out or will come out. have any of you read these?

Anastacia

IF-Veteran Member

Anastacia

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
Khair, I've read the Namesake and I liked it. Smile

Edited by Belle1989 - 27 January 2007 at 1:44pm

Jia

IF-Rockerz

Jia

-

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged
oh thats nice, Natasha! but i guess we can select some other book if u have read that one. :)

so far no one seems to have read: inheritance of loss and no one has replied for a night at the call center. are there any more book suggestions? some book that u are dying to read?

i have lots of studying to do, so i wont be a quick reader...the time frame that i have in mind is about 3 weeks...let me know if all of you agree and we can start reading one book. if u think this isnt the way a book club should work, please give suggestions... :)

Post Reply New Post

Go to top