Book Club (Currently reading Kite Runner)

Jia thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Hey all,

anyone is welcome to join us.

this thread is only for us to decide on a book for the month. all discussions of books will take place in seperate thread. each month we will read and discuss a different book.

Starting February, we will read: Kite Runner. Anyone is welcome to join at any time during this month and start reading it.

Discussion of the Kite Runner: http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=536297&T PN=1

Here is some info about this book.

Amazon.co.uk Review
The Kite Runner of Khaled Hosseini's deeply moving fiction debut is an illiterate Afghan boy with an uncanny instinct for predicting exactly where a downed kite will land. Growing up in the city of Kabul in the early 1970s, Hassan was narrator Amir's closest friend even though the loyal 11-year-old with "a face like a Chinese doll" was the son of Amir's father's servant and a member of Afghanistan's despised Hazara minority. But in 1975, on the day of Kabul's annual kite-fighting tournament, something unspeakable happened between the two boys.

Narrated by Amir, a 40-year-old novelist living in California, The Kite Runner tells the gripping story of a boyhood friendship destroyed by jealousy, fear, and the kind of ruthless evil that transcends mere politics. Running parallel to this personal narrative of loss and redemption is the story of modern Afghanistan and of Amir's equally guilt-ridden relationship with the war-torn city of his birth. The first Afghan novel to be written in English, The Kite Runner begins in the final days of King Zahir Shah's 40-year reign and traces the country's fall from a secluded oasis to a tank-strewn battlefield controlled by the Russians and then the trigger-happy Taliban. When Amir returns to Kabul to rescue Hassan's orphaned child, the personal and the political get tangled together in a plot that is as suspenseful as it is taut with feeling.

The son of an Afghan diplomat whose family received political asylum in the United States in 1980, Hosseini combines the unflinching realism of a war correspondent with the satisfying emotional pull of master storytellers such as Rohinton Mistry. Like the kite that is its central image, the story line of this mesmerizing first novel occasionally dips and seems almost to dive to the ground. But Hosseini ultimately keeps everything airborne until his heartrending conclusion in an American picnic park

He made his first appearance on TV in Gul Gulshan Gulfam.

Edited by Naina_Manam - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

amina877 thumbnail
Thats a gr8 idea,Khair! 😃
I will love to join. 😛
Jia thumbnail
any book recommendations?

i wanted to read kite runner (if i can get a copy from library), have you two read it?

if you have, then any other books that u wanted to read?
amina877 thumbnail

Nope i havent read it but i just read its review..It seems like a really nice book..I think they are also making a movie on it. 😊

Hmm...i receatly read OF MICE AND MEN and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD...i found them both very interesting and meaningful!
Both books talk about friendship and racism. 😊

Btw have u read any shakespeare's books? 😛

Edited by amina877 - 17 years ago
Jia thumbnail
ooo those sound interesting!! no i dont enjoy the novel if its hard to understand 😳 😆 so i dont read shakespere...i actually have never tried readin his books :p

lets see if we get more ppl...if not do u all want to read that or...do u want to read animal farm? that book is also found online (there is a link in debate mansion w/ the list of books found online). so we wont need to go to the library. what do you think?
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Count me innnn...I'm a total book freak!

@ Khair: I've read Kite Runner. One of my favorite books now !! Simply loved it 😛

cool_pooja thumbnail
Is Kite Runner a heavy book or something?? Cuase i usually dunt read mystery kind of books or classics.. I prefer light reading. In the heavy reading, i just read shakespeare.... I wudnt mind joining the book club but i guess im too young for it as most of u wud prefer heavy reading! 😆
diyafah thumbnail
khair,I am so in..I have heard of the book..but have'nt read it..
rite now,I am reading a sidney Sheldon's book-Nothing lasts forever..my fav book is The da vinci code..itz really a rocking book!I love it...itz an amazing book
I also wanna read the inheritance of loss by booker prize winner kiran desai! 😳
Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
am in too...neway I'd suggest Kite Runner coz am planning to read that book...neway we can always make a opole on that 😊
Jia thumbnail
wow, so many ppl in....YAYYY!!

we can definitely go w/ kite runner, but few of you have read it. so chk out this link:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/415982  

and tell me if any books interest you (that is if you havent read them already) and we can start w/ those. if not, you can always give more suggestions. :) Edited by sweet_kp - 17 years ago