Book Talk

Over-rated book which turned out trashy? (Page 17)

Post Reply New Post

Page 17 of 18

EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

I tried my best reading Gone with the Wind, but could not continue. The pace was so slow, the protagonist so annoying and selfish, the writing so excessively and unnecessarily descriptive and stretched out, the plot - if it had any - so soap-opera-esque ... I will give it another try after my exam, but for now, this is the most overrated book I have ever had the most unfortunate chance of reading. I had so much expectations (mostly due the classic status it had achieved) that the book felt pretty crappy. Maybe it will improve as the story progresses, but for now on, I really don't see the mania behind this.

Well Gone With The Wind is kind of tedious in the beginning, but it gets better and better with every page!

I suggest you finish it....it's an AMAZING novel!!! I'm sure you'd change your mind!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Over-rated book which turned out trashy? (Page 17)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

LOLitaPawar

IF-Dazzler

LOLitaPawar

Posted: 04 November 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged
I find Gone With The Wind racist sometimes.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Blossy-

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 04 November 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

LOLitaPawar

-Blossy-

Goldie

-Blossy-

Posted: 04 November 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged
Will anyone review on Gone with the wind?

I have only even encountered two sides of this argument: it's racist and should be decried, and it's amazing and we shouldn't criticize it.

Edited by crazilycrazy - 04 November 2010 at 8:40am

EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

Posted: 04 November 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by truth_wins

Well, it IS a little racist. I found myself flinching many a times at the words used to describe the blacks. But there ARE umpteen instances in the novel where Scarlett, Rhett and other lead protagonists show their affection to their slaves!
Not that it justifies their racist comments, but somehow their behaviour becomes understandable and you don't see the characters in a negative light. It's just their way of life.

Edited by mayur16 - 04 November 2010 at 11:19pm

LOLitaPawar

IF-Dazzler

LOLitaPawar

Posted: 05 November 2010 at 1:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mayur16

Originally posted by truth_wins

Well, it IS a little racist. I found myself flinching many a times at the words used to describe the blacks. But there ARE umpteen instances in the novel where Scarlett, Rhett and other lead protagonists show their affection to their slaves!
Not that it justifies their racist comments, but somehow their behaviour becomes understandable and you don't see the characters in a negative light. It's just their way of life.

I agree and the relationship Scarlett shared with her Mammy was so cute,Pork with Gerald was great too.
Even though the book is a little racist I still like it,I loved Scarlett,Rhett,Melanie and Gerald.
I wish there was a sequel to this book....well there IS a sequel but not by the same author so I don't want to read it.Embarrassed

EatPrayLove

cute_smart_ash

cute_smart_ash

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged
Hi!

I don't post replies on forums by habit but your feeling about reading the sequel to Gone with the wind correlated with mine before I read scarlett. I sincerely suggest you to read it. You won't for a single moment feel that it has been written by another writer :)

crazybobblehead

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top