Book Talk

Over-rated book which turned out trashy? - Page 7

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Like most people here, I too think Twiligth was over-rated. Yeah, I've read worse books, but it didn't match up to the hype.

Also, I thought the DaVinci Code was over-rated, sorry.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

isomers thumbnail
Okay don't kill me for this..but the book I think is completely over-rated has to be Twilight.
I read the first one..and the second book was being so hyped that I waited to read it. After I read it..i really wanted to kill myself, actually I never read it completely..I only got half way through the second book.
I don't know if there's something wrong with me or the book cuz everyone else but me seem to like Twilight.

OMG!! ^^ I typed this and I read your post!! we both have the same opinion on Twilight!!
Edited by nityatarlapally - 14 years ago
FollowYourHeart thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Twilight for sureeeeeeee half my enthu got killed by alld hype it created and d other half got killed by d whole plot for me its totally a no brainer

Also chetan Bhagat's books..damm damm overrated😆
Edited by FollowYourHeart - 14 years ago
This content was originally posted by: aneeshadgr8

alchemist...pointness..!!

people mentioning harry potter here......harry potter has every thing...from human emotions,to magical feelings....seriously the plot itself is so magical,plus the various characters depicted in the bbook,make it a must read for every age group..:)

completely disagreee on that...alchemist is one of those books which has d pottentialto actually actually change your life..it did mine...i mean it makes u belive in miraclesmakes u believe in d power of your own heart's voice gives u d strength to uninhibitantlly follow your heart find your purpose in life find that one dream one misson which wld define ur very existnce and then have faith in yourself have courage to follow that dream till d very end till d time it becomes ur reality it gives u courage to take risks to go on fighting challenging urself to never give up hope...it teaches u d languag of d omens...a language wid hwich u can feel ki god and hismaggic is enfolding right infront of ur eyes..all u nee to od is open ur eyes and belive in miracles ka existance coz if u belive then miracles WILL happen...eveyr single page of alch talks abt hope..every isngle page is like a guiding star,,theres no defeat no negetivity in any single page of it...wenver am sad confused wen i cant decide dnt find a way i randomly open alchy and try to dechipher d omens by wats writte on d page that opens...and it wooorks it so works like magic...its all about blievig in it yaar...nothing else..and for me Cohello is Heave sent...every single book of his is a life time treasure its like bhaggu himself teaching us d way of life...😃
This content was originally posted by: Eloquent

I completely disagree with you..Harry Potter is the best series I have ever read...what else do you need other than a good plot dear? A plot IS one of the main requisites for writing a story..now you can't have a book without a plot..so I so totally disagree.

As for killings, I think it was done very nicely and perfectly..she demonstrated to me that life can be taken away in a second....

As for the magic aspect..I like it as hers is the best explanation on magic I have ever read. Most books give a very vague and incomplete info on magic and most probably it is only the main protagonist who can do magic and that too...it suddenly erupts out of him...from his hands or feet
Jo has created a complete society and a whole commuity of magic..a society which has the same human flaws of greed, manipulations, psychopaths, poverty, bigotry, wars and destruction and much more.
In short, her world isn't the perfect lil place with all people being goody goody two shoes, like in all the magical books
Plus I love the characterization very much. It rocks!👏 You can't say it's a children's book or adult book coz, as the protagonist has grown up..so have the books...and I find that very unique and I doubt I would find this in any series I have read so far.

And one thing I loved was..she gave friendship preference over romance...and the love stories are always in the background and used as comic sub plots. Not only friendship..she has shown so many different types of relationships an the impact they have on the protagonist...
I am well fed up of the cliched romancing in almost every book I read

bingoooooooo👏👏 brilliantly worded halshhhhh😳

and apart from watever said above i wana add ki HP is far away from being a mere "children's book" i am an ardent philosophical genre reader i have read paullo Cohello to richard Bach to who not and i adoooooooooore HP beyond words precisely coz of its inherent philosophy...i mean dis is one thing hwich so distinguishes HP from Twilight on d face twilight too is abt werewolfs and magical creatures and wat not but twilight was only abt alldis magic and romance it was way too fictional too unrealistic..but hp...hp was much more than just a magical series....magic was in d background but foreground main it was all abt life friendship relationships emotions d importance of love d force of love d power of goodness d fight agaisnt good and evil d willigness to go on fighting even at d face of adversity....it was just i dunno wat...even though i have read many many spiritual books but this one has to be one of d best best books which taught me the true meaning of friendship..i mean just seieng dem all join hands fight for each other for saving goodness....see dem trust each other fiercely fiercely trust each other no matter wat..seeing dem risking their lives for each other...it all just tuched not my heart but my soul...Jo in such a simple manner taught the world that love is d one word which can seriously rmeove allmalice..and NOlove is so not abt a guy and girl kinda love..love is abt any kinda of love..loving ur parents ardently...loving ur friends from d core of ur very being..loving ur friends parents his brothers making dme ur fmaily...respecting and loving ur teachers...infact love is also abt lovingggggggggggggg ur owlllllllll even ur broomstick..and wat not....its definatly  masterpiece...somehting which was much needed in today''s materialistic world where every relationship is based on just give and take...it kinda fills in purity in this otherwise demented world
Edited by FollowYourHeart - 14 years ago
psycho_angel thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
"Emma" by Jane Austen.sorry,but im out of school for sometime now...and the super tasteful Queen's English is a huge turn off for me
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
The number of people who dislike Twilight astounds me, as well as gives me hope. Thank God I'm not the only one! The only reason I completed the series is because I have this issue with leaving something half-way once I've started reading it.

For one thing, I could not stand Meyer's main character. I did not understand how Bella fell in love with Edward, and her 'fleshing' out of these two? Barely done. Edward had his alright moments, but Bella just seemed superficial to me. I really liked the way she wrote her side-characters though. Jake Black, Alice, Rosalie, Jasper and the rest of the pack had more substance in my opinion.

And the whole Jake-imprinting-on-Nessie thing was just disgusting for me. He's in love with the mom than all of a sudden the daughter is his soulmate? It was a disappointment. I expected so much more when my sister told me about this. When everybody was raving about this. Vampire stories usually have an edge to them, this seemed to be lacking it.

Someone mentioned Angels & Demons earlier, I think in page 2. OMG, seriously? It was my favourite of his four books! I haven't read The Lost Symbol yet, but I'm expecting quite a bit. I was disappointed with his Digital Fortress. The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were excellent, I think.

Love,
Radz

isomers thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Anhdara13

The number of people who dislike Twilight astounds me, as well as gives me hope. Thank God I'm not the only one! The only reason I completed the series is because I have this issue with leaving something half-way once I've started reading it.

For one thing, I could not stand Meyer's main character. I did not understand how Bella fell in love with Edward, and her 'fleshing' out of these two? Barely done. Edward had his alright moments, but Bella just seemed superficial to me. I really liked the way she wrote her side-characters though. Jake Black, Alice, Rosalie, Jasper and the rest of the pack had more substance in my opinion.

And the whole Jake-imprinting-on-Nessie thing was just disgusting for me. He's in love with the mom than all of a sudden the daughter is his soulmate? It was a disappointment. I expected so much more when my sister told me about this. When everybody was raving about this. Vampire stories usually have an edge to them, this seemed to be lacking it.

Someone mentioned Angels & Demons earlier, I think in page 2. OMG, seriously? It was my favourite of his four books! I haven't read The Lost Symbol yet, but I'm expecting quite a bit. I was disappointed with his Digital Fortress. The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were excellent, I think.

Love,
Radz

Your definitely not the only one that hates Bella!! Her character really annoyed me!
I was dragged by my friends to see the movie when it came out..and seriously I felt like falling asleep through the movie! Reading the book was bad enough..the movie was worse!

I really didn't like the way the book was so hyped and then it turns out to be this big disappointment!😒
😲 Jasper is my favorite character too!!
Edited by nityatarlapally - 14 years ago
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
^^ Really? Compared to the books, I loved the movie! Jacob, Emmett and Jasper made it worth it. haha. I loved Emmett in the movie. Was basically making fun of the Ed/Bella bits, and quoting. And cracking loads of jokes.

Love,
Radz

Pebblez thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Hands down, Twilight! The thing that left me wanting to throw the book away was not even the EXTREMELY uninteresting plot, nor the highly irritating characters, but the blandness with which Meyer writes...its really annoying! Her writing style is just...BAD! :S