Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Name: Crime e Castigo / Crime and Punishment(Eng Translation)
             By Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky

Genre:
Psychological account of a Crime and Criminal

Story Outline: Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, an impoverished St. Petersburg student who formulates and executes a plan to kill a hated, unscrupulous pawnbroker seemingly for her money, thereby solving his financial problems and at the same time, he argues, ridding the world of evil. The novel portrays the murder of a miserly, aged pawnbroker and her younger sister by a destitute Saint Petersburg student named Raskolnikov, and the emotional, mental, and physical effects that follow. Raskolnikov also strives to be an extraordinary being, similar to Napoleon, who can murder without repercussions (does he succeed? Well U have to read the book to find out). 

Why do you recommend it: bcoz I haven't read another novel so earthy, so subtle and so simply eccetrically human.  Dostoevsky's insight into Human Mind remains unparalleled to this day. Its the greatest piece of art I have read.
In the novel, just when the "punishment" seemingly may start lawfully, for Raskolnikov, he has been thru his Punishment already.

NOTE: This is not a simple fun pass time read. Its a heavy subject and obviously a Heavy read and u gotta take reading seriously for this. So read it if u are prepared to becum upset!😉😉😆
PS: If can sit thru the first 3 chapters, then u know where r interests are going to lie from now on!😉

Other comment: Read it to understand what and why I say all this...Believe me, This novel does things to u!

Rating(scale of 1-5, 5 being the best):
beyond rating and judgement. But I count it as the greatest novel I have read in my life for I cannot think of another book which affected and intrigued me so profoundly as this masterpiece by the greatest giant in World Literature(acc to me)....

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 16 years ago
-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Name: Sloppy Firsts [and the series by Megan McCafferty]

Genre: Teenager/High School.

Story Outline:
It's about a girl named Jessica Darling who's in high school. It's about her life. It's just so good. I don't want to give anything way but you will fall in love with Marcus Flutie. Edward Cullen cannot even be compared to him in my opinion.

Why do you recommend it:

It's an awesome book. Simple as that.

Other comment:
Oh, and if you are very sheltered and naive.. this isn't for you :)

4.5 [no such thing as perfect].

-Navi.
-Navi thumbnail
Name: Namesake

Genre: Drama/Comedy/Romance [kind of]

Story outline:
A Bengali family in America. Parents are immigrants and the kids are born in America. The kids can be called 'white washed'. It's about the family at first. However, it's more about Nikhil/Gogol afterwards.

Why do I recommend it:
It's purely awesome. I can relate to Gogol so much. Him and me are the only Indian people I know who listen and LOVE the Beatles. Also, i'm born and raised in Canada and I can relate to the parent pressures and expectations. Also, trying not to disorientated from my culture.

Other Comment:
I read the book before I watched the movie. Book is definately of my favourite books. Movie was okay but not even as good as the book.

Rating:
4.5 :D

-Navi.

-Navi thumbnail
Name: Go Ask Alice.

Genre: Teenage Drug Abuse [if that's a genre]

Story Outline:
It's a diary based on a real girl. Her name isn't given. She used to be a 'good kid' and came from a 'good' family. However, she got caught up with the wrong crew and started doing drugs. She ran away from home twice.

Why do you recommend it:
If you like diary books, fiction or non-fiction, you'll like it.

Other comment:
Kind of a disappointment though. I had uber high expectations. I think I cried like 2-3 times in the book.. :)

3.5 :)

-Navi.
_Anonymous_ thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Title: Shantaram
Genre: Fiction 
Story Outline {Back of the Book}
I actually just checked my book and there isnt a story out line there...uhhh so i got this from amazon.com

Crime and punishment, passion and loyalty, betrayal and redemption are only a few of the ingredients in Shantaram, a massive, over-the-top, mostly autobiographical novel. Shantaram is the name given Mr. Lindsay, or Linbaba, the larger-than-life hero. It means "man of God's peace," which is what the Indian people know of Lin. What they do not know is that prior to his arrival in Bombay he escaped from an Australian prison where he had begun serving a 19-year sentence. He served two years and leaped over the wall. He was imprisoned for a string of armed robberies peformed to support his heroin addiction, which started when his marriage fell apart and he lost custody of his daughter. All of that is enough for several lifetimes, but for Greg Roberts, that's only the beginning.

Why do you recommend it: Its written well, its engrossing...like you really wanna turn the next page to find out what happens...it has romance, comedy, drama, etc etc. The best part about it is that it teaches you about the world...gives you theories about where we came from, why were here...etc etc.  Its EXTREMELY philosophical...i love it.

Other comment: Its really long and sometimes the details get a bit too much but its not a big deal as long as you have the patience.

Rating(scale of 1-5, 5 being the best): 4.5

patroclus thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Name: Princess Diaries

Genre:Romantic Comedy

Story Outline: It is about a normal teenaged girl....who is flat-chested,five feet eight inches tall and has size eight feet...who finds out she is a princess andthen the story goes on...

Why do you recommend it: It is HILLARIOUS and it is sooooo interesting that you can't stp turning the pages!!

Other comment:

yourmom thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: suuunshiine

Name: Go Ask Alice.

Genre: Teenage Drug Abuse [if that's a genre]

Story Outline:
It's a diary based on a real girl. Her name isn't given. She used to be a 'good kid' and came from a 'good' family. However, she got caught up with the wrong crew and started doing drugs. She ran away from home twice.

Why do you recommend it:
If you like diary books, fiction or non-fiction, you'll like it.

Other comment:
Kind of a disappointment though. I had uber high expectations. I think I cried like 2-3 times in the book.. :)

3.5 :)

-Navi.

oohh looks like an interesting book....gunna go and read it
yourmom thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Name: The Importance of Being Earnest

Genre: comedy play
Story Outline:
its about a man named jack who has another identity in the city (Earnest) and how his identities create confusion and chaos...

Why do you recommend it: its really funny...as jack tries to juggle two identities all in the same time...

Rating(scale of 1-5, 5 being the best): 5
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Name : To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Genre: Fiction (This is a classic Novel)

Story Outline:

To Kill a Mockingbird  is loosely based on the author's observations of her family and neighbors, as well as an event that occurred near her hometown in 1936, when she was 10 years old.

The novel is renowned for its warmth and humor, despite dealing with the serious issues of rape and racial inequality. The narrator's father, Atticus Finch, has served as a moral hero for many readers, and a model of integrity for lawyers. One critic explained the novel's impact by writing, "in the twentieth century, To Kill a Mockingbird is probably the most widely read book dealing with race in America, and its protagonist, Atticus Finch, the most enduring fictional image of racial heroism

Why do you recommed it? - The most simplistically beatiful novel you will read.

Rating: 5

.x.Saira.x. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Name : The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Genre: Fiction

Story Outline: (back of book)

Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashtuns. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste.

Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, and apparently dissolved when Amir and his father flee to California to escape the Soviet invasion, leaving Hassan and his own gentle father to a terrible fate.

But years later, an old family friend calls Amir from Pakistan and reminds him 'There is a way to be good again.' And Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.

Why do you recommed it? - It is a beautifully written and sad book.

Rating: 5.5!!!

[/QUOTE]